List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at that list the majority have work ethic issues so it's unfair to generalise about the specific "type" of player.

I notice you left out Isaac Smith, Bradley Hill, Steven Motlop, Stephen Hill, Polec and Bennell
It was rushed, but even so, B. Hill and Motlop aren't first round picks. I don't consider Smith and Polec being like Pickett and S. Hill hasn't justified his draft position at all.
Bennell was a miss, that was bad on my part.

It was rushed, but even so, B. Hill and Motlop aren't first round picks. I don't consider Smith and Polec being like Pickett and S. Hill hasn't justified his draft position at all.
Bennell was a miss, that was bad on my part.

You didn't say anything about first round in your previous post. You only said we shouldn't "go after pace and excitement machines"

Why aren't Smith and Polec similar? Long striding, sublime skilled wingman who don't shy away from a contest.

You could have described a lot of the players I mentioned above as elite pace, skills and x-factor + win their own ball in their under-18 years. AFL is a different ball-game. Even if Pickett has the ability to win his own ball, it doesn't mean he'll win it at the top-level. Especially with extremely light-frame (74kgs), he'll struggle being up against big inside mids who are up to 90kgs.

You can say this about any player who hasn't played at AFL level. Is it unfair to assume Pickett will but on weight/ muscle when in the pro system?
WHE was 73kg when he was drafted and Bradley Hill was listed at 71kg in his final year.

It's strange to me that you are putting up all these bogus reasons for us not to pick the guy when by your own admission you haven't seen him play. Why not instead of arguing against Pickett, argue for another prospect.

You didn't say anything about first round in your previous post. You only said we shouldn't "go after pace and excitement machines"

Why aren't Smith and Polec similar? Long striding, sublime skilled wingman who don't shy away from a contest.

You can say this about any player who hasn't played at AFL level. Is it unfair to assume Pickett will but on weight/ muscle when in the pro system?
WHE was 73kg when he was drafted and Bradley Hill was listed at 71kg in his final year.

It's strange to me that you are putting up all these bogus reasons for us not to pick the guy when by your own admission you haven't seen him play. Why not instead of arguing against Pickett, argue for another prospect.

I did when I began the list of the past drafts, read again.

There is certainly a large difference between somebody like Polec/Smith to a Pickett/Rioli type player. I could go into depth about it, but it really isn't necessary for this thread/debate. If you want to discuss it more, feel free to PM me.

It isn't unreasonable to argue that somebody with a small frame like Pickett might struggle against big AFL bodies in winning the ball. It is LOGIC to follow that chain of thought. Your comparisons in Hill and WHE are flawed too. Last year Hill averaged less than 5 CP and 1 clearance a game. And in the small sample of this year, only approx. 25% of his possessions are CP and 2 clearances a game. WHE simply struggles to accumulate ball. Is it really unfair of me to ask the question of whether Pickett will be able to win his own ball when moving up to the seniors? If the past is an indicator, it is very rare that a player like him can.

I have not once criticized Pickett's game. My claims where that players like Pickett won't necessarily bring pace into our line-up and also that players similar to Pickett's stature and style who are taken early are very rarely good players who can justify their draft position. Tigs then responded saying that Pickett's difference is that he wins his own ball, which I never once questioned but said that players of his frame will probably struggle in AFL, where the bodies are much bigger.

Please understand that I am not arguing against Pickett, but simply arguing against his type of player and advocating the drafting of a player who has the qualities of good skills, decision making, ball-winning and not afraid to take the game on. I used Vlastuin as my prime example of a type of player who I want.

Would love us to pick up Shannon Taylor as a small forward buddy for Sam Lloyd.

Dear Frankston,

Sorry for stealing all your small forwards

Regards,

RFC

I fought he gave up on footy, when he was overlooked because I couldn't find, where he was playing last year.

Good to see he hasn't given up and is trying to improved his chances of being drafted. By reducing club's worries about him, getting homesickness

I fought he gave up on footy, when he was overlooked because I couldn't find, where he was playing last year.

Good to see he hasn't given up and is trying to improved his chances of being drafted. By reducing club's worries about him, getting homesickness
Playing at Franga. Haven't actually watched him this year but I rated him really high on talent and need in 2012. Don't think much has changed.

Playing at Franga. Haven't actually watched him this year but I rated him really high on talent and need in 2012. Don't think much has changed.

Think I might need to start paying attention to Frankston games this year then. To see how he goes. Definitely had the talent. I think the clubs were scared off because of the potential of homesickness and I don't think they were quite sure how responsible he was.

Midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield,

3rd tall defender, young ruck. :D

Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed
Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed
Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed
Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed ,Speed , Speed , Speed , Speed

Yeah, but would love Durdin. We need to either tank or trade into a top 3 pick. He's a gem too valuable to let slip through our fingers. I'd imagine the Dees would be sniffing though considering they recently lost Rivers and Frawley looks to be leaving too.
Are you now working at the club ?? Looks like we are doing what you mentioned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield, midfield,

3rd tall defender, young ruck. :D

We've got a handy one in Batchelor in the 2s. I think he'll be after a trade end of year. On form when Rance gets back I want Chaplin dropped he's been useless so far.

Helbig. Tough, inside midfielder. Well he was before he may have been damaged.

Bachelor. 3rd tall defender.

Lennon. Outside midfielder with pace and skill.

McDonough. Clever half forward/midfielder with very good skills and nous.

Vlastuin. Tough, hard inside midfielder.

O'Hanlon. Run all day wingman, half forward who can play third tall up forward. Sweet kick of the ball.

Arnott. Bull at the gate midfielder or defensive forward. Needs to find more of it but impacting contests. One of the few with any aggression.

Brandon Ellis. Outside midfielder who runs hard all day.

Matt Dea. Small to medium defender. Close checking. Courageous and tough. Good skills just needs confidence.

Reece Conca. Midfielder. Full time.

These kids need to a) Be given games b) Be given games in their positions. I don't care if we come last this season. Just develop this tier. Develop them by playing them against the best every week. We need these guys to get to 50 games together so that Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance can shine.

What I believe we need now is another phase of youngsters with high level talent injected into this group. 5 picks under 40 in this draft, the Super draft, if done right, will see to that.

I want class. Leadership. High character. Some pace.

Helbig. Tough, inside midfielder. Well he was before he may have been damaged.

Bachelor. 3rd tall defender.

Lennon. Outside midfielder with pace and skill.

McDonough. Clever half forward/midfielder with very good skills and nous.

Vlastuin. Tough, hard inside midfielder.

O'Hanlon. Run all day wingman, half forward who can play third tall up forward. Sweet kick of the ball.

Arnott. Bull at the gate midfielder or defensive forward. Needs to find more of it but impacting contests. One of the few with any aggression.

Brandon Ellis. Outside midfielder who runs hard all day.

Matt Dea. Small to medium defender. Close checking. Courageous and tough. Good skills just needs confidence.

Reece Conca. Midfielder. Full time.

These kids need to a) Be given games b) Be given games in their positions. I don't care if we come last this season. Just develop this tier. Develop them by playing them against the best every week. We need these guys to get to 50 games together so that Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance can shine.

What I believe we need now is another phase of youngsters with high level talent injected into this group. 5 picks under 40 in this draft, the Super draft, if done right, will see to that.

I want class. Leadership. High character. Some pace.
Yep. Won't happen.

How do you suggest we procure 5 picks under 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back