List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be a brave move but I get the feeling he could be a bit like Fyfe with everybody wondering why they did not pick him...
He has a huge upside. His dad was a legend in NT football.

I also love the fact he has some major injury roadblocks but have over come them. Speaks volumes about his work ethic and desire to succeed. I am on record saying I would use our first pick for him. I can easily see him playing of the opposite wing to Ellis from round 1

I have Weller ranked at 4. I think other than Petracca he's my favourite midfielder in the draft. Has it all if you ask me.

I wish we could trade on draft day. It's an amazing thing to see. Imagine if Weller doesn't get picked up till pick 11. We then go and say we will give you pick 12 and something else for pick 11. It would not only be beneficial for teams but create a massive spectacle.

Speaking of which, Draft Day with Kevin Cosner is a great movie and must see.

I agree with all you have said Tigerbob. But here are all my problems with 'Draft Day'.

1) Why have the tangent story line of Costner firing his father?
2) Why have an office romance with Jennifer Garner?
3) I am pretty sure no GM would ever find out the attitude issues of a QB the night of the draft
4) No GM from picks 2-6 would ever go, well he is the clear cut number 1 pick... so lets just take him off the board and not take him and have the asset. Their the worst 5 teams in the NFL. That's like the Saints picking Paul Ahern in this years draft and Petracca falling to the Doggies at 6.
5) Why did they make the Jacksonville Jaguars GM look like he is a sneeze away from overdosing on cocaine?

Just some small questions which clearly derail this thread, but need to be put out there.

Weller or Duggan first pick, Cocky slides to our second..............Pretty please

I've been a fan of Duggans most of the year, well since the early form of Petracca & Brayshaw saw any chance of us landing them disappear. Since then it's been Laverde Weller Duggan Ahern for mine and IMO Duggan still seems like the pick we'll get, I threw him in as a response to the names Gun had put forward. In fact I wouldn't be shocked to see us end up with Duggan even if some of the other names Gun mentioned are still on the board. Just comes across as another no nonsense Ellis Conca Vlastuin Lennon type of pick that FJ has made the last 4 years.

Agree. That's definitely not a bad thing though, just that we probably could use a little more flair in this draft, but there's a fair bit of that available in later rounds. I'm probably most confident in Duggan out of all our possible selection in becoming a 200+ game player. Solid type and the skinny flanker myth is a bit misplaced IMO. He's a mid

In other news, GWS officially have 19 and 21. Hmmmm

Agree. That's definitely not a bad thing though, just that we probably could use a little more flair in this draft, but there's a fair bit of that available in later rounds. I'm probably most confident in Duggan out of all our possible selection in becoming a 200+ game player. Solid type and the skinny flanker myth is a bit misplaced IMO. He's a mid

Nearly trade pick 12 for Jaksch and 19

You would think that they would have to give up one of them for Patful

Thoughts on Connor Menadue? He'll be right around our pick range if the Trengove trade goes through. Fast, tall, skilled, smart. Extremely skinny atm.

I like him though I worry about how long he will take to develop. As a second rounder who isn't a KPP I would want him to be pushing for selection come his second season which I'm sure if he will be able to. Though once developed he could be perfect for us on a wing.

I like him though I worry about how long he will take to develop. As a second rounder who isn't a KPP I would want him to be pushing for selection come his second season which I'm sure if he will be able to. Though once developed he could be perfect for us on a wing.

Agreed but boy, if you get him right......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love us to take the punt on Caleb Daniel at 33. Worth the risk. Get Cockatoo/Menadue/Ellis at 23.

I love Daniel but I think it's a little early for him at 33. I'd shoot for 52. Rather we get someone like Gore or Blakely or even Smith at 33. Whoever slides

I disagree. The only queries on Daniel seem to based on his physical properties, notably his height. Lewis Taylor has shown this year that it shouldn't play a huge part. If you can play, you should get drafted and in terms of talent, Daniel would be a top 10, potentially top 5 pick. Probably gone by 52 anyway.

Last edited:
Cockatoo trained with North Melbourne just as Lennon trained with us before being drafted. If we trade #12 its unlikely that he lasts to #23. North will snap him up!

I disagree. The only queries on Daniel seem to based on his physical properties, notably his height. Lewis Taylor has shown this year that it shouldn't play a huge part. If you can play, you should get drafted and in terms of talent, Daniel would be a top 10, potentially top 5 pick. Probably gone by 52 anyway.
Daniel is short next to Taylor. Has everything else going for him. Will be a late pick at best and more likely a rookie

Daniel is short next to Taylor. Has everything else going for him. Will be a late pick at best and more likely a rookie

That's what I mean. Give him 15cm's more height and he'd be a top 3 pick. We are in a position to take a punt. He might not last to the rookie draft, and he has the potential to be an elite AFL player. Who cares if he is taken at 33 or 93. Either way, if he has a good career, it will be a successful drafting.

That's what I mean. Give him 15cm's more height and he'd be a top 3 pick. We are in a position to take a punt. He might not last to the rookie draft, and he has the potential to be an elite AFL player. Who cares if he is taken at 33 or 93. Either way, if he has a good career, it will be a successful drafting.

Why pay 33 for a guy you can get later? Your just denying yourself an opportunity of getting somebody else you'd like.

I really do rate him but he is 8cm shorter then Lewis Taylor who is already extremely short at AFL level, its a massive concern whether he will have the body strength at AFL level when guys are 15-20cm taller then you and 15-20kg heavier. I'd happily take him with a 4th rounder to rookie pick.

Why pay 33 for a guy you can get later? Your just denying yourself an opportunity of getting somebody else you'd like.

I really do rate him but he is 8cm shorter then Lewis Taylor who is already extremely short at AFL level, its a massive concern whether he will have the body strength at AFL level when guys are 15-20cm taller then you and 15-20kg heavier. I'd happily take him with a 4th rounder to rookie pick.

Hearing rumours Adelaide are looking at their 2nd or 3rd rounder for Daniel. That's why I thought 33.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back