List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they do good luck to them. I think its too early.

He is the kind of player we can take a punt on though, I think, especially if we get Trengove.

I might be biased as he is my favourite player in this draft, and a later pick might be the safer bet. I just want him at the Tigers.

He is the kind of player we can take a punt on though, I think, especially if we get Trengove.

I might be biased as he is my favourite player in this draft, and a later pick might be the safer bet. I just want him at the Tigers.

Its always the problem of getting immersed in the draft its bloody annoying when the club fails to pick up your favourites.

I think the last time we picked a kid i loved was Dusty. I really like Madonna in his year though.

Daniel is a favourite of mine too and think if anyone that short will make it then it will be him.

I'd love Cockatoo but I'd be surprised if he was gone before 23. Suspect he will make it to 33.
Wont make it to 33
Bulldogs have 26/27 and would have taken their KPP with their early selections and have a crap load of inside mids, They will be looking for outside pace and a KPD with these selections - No chance they pass on Cockatoo with both of these selections

And by some miracle they do

Kangaroo's with the pick they get for Greenwood , expected to be #25 -#30from collingwood via brisbane /melbourne.geelong will snap him up.

We need to take him at #23 if we have it otherwise he wont be there i wouldnt think

B: Darrou Elton Petterd
HB: Newman McDonald Dea
C: Lennon Panos McIntosh
HF: Knights McBean Cockatoo
F: Petrenko Saldo Lloyd
R: Hampson Blakely Thomas
Schroder Arnot Foley Howe
If we could pick these guys in the national and rookie drafts.....that is one strong VFL team!

Hate this talk of if Daniel was 15cm taller he would go top three. If he was 15cm taller he would most likely have very different strengths to his current strengths which might not make as a good a player. Not to mention he had two very good games this season and was solid contributor at SANFL level but was still outperformed by Gore, Neal Bullen and Bampton while Cory Gregson performed similarly when he wasn't injured who have not been talked up anywhere near as highly.

Just for the record (as it really does matter :-S) I'm all for the Trengove trade of 12 for Trengove and 23. It makes a great deal of sense. I rate a fully fit Trengove very highly and if we can get pick 23 back then we still can add some reasonably high end talent who could come on. I'm not as down on pick 12 though as some others and have noticed that some believe that we should trade it as by then there won't be much top end talent left like Ahern, Laverde, Pickett etc. I'm not so sure about this. I think there might still be a really good player at 12 that would fill a need for us. I think it might go something like this

1. St K - Petracca - clear number 1
2. Melb - Brayshaw - Demons are keen and fills a massive need
3. Melb - McCartin - alongside Hogan can potentially form a great partnership
4. GWS - Wright - Succession plan for Mumford - modern day forward ruck
5. Bris but most likely Pies - Laverde - i think pies will be after mid to balance taking Moore
6. Dogs - Durdin - need KPPs more than mids
7. Carlton - Lever - Waite's left, Jamison near the end
8. GC - Weller - They love him
9. Pies - Moore - FS
10 Crows -Pickett - I think they'll take Durdin, Marchbank or Goddard as KPB's are a need (i think) but have Pickett here as probably best available
11. WC - Ahern - they want outside speed - will be hoping Pickett gets through I imagine
12. Richmond - Leaves us one of Duggan, DeGoey and Blakely. I think Blakely is almost a sure thing as a solid inside mid. I really like him. DeGoey looks like he could develop into a bull of a mid who has some real class and Duggan looks like he will be a gem.

Would be very happy with either of them - but even happier with Trengove and Cockatoo!

Just for the record (as it really does matter :-S) I'm all for the Trengove trade of 12 for Trengove and 23. It makes a great deal of sense. I rate a fully fit Trengove very highly and if we can get pick 23 back then we still can add some reasonably high end talent who could come on. I'm not as down on pick 12 though as some others and have noticed that some believe that we should trade it as by then there won't be much top end talent left like Ahern, Laverde, Pickett etc. I'm not so sure about this. I think there might still be a really good player at 12 that would fill a need for us. I think it might go something like this

5. Bris but most likely Pies - Laverde - i think pies will be after mid to balance taking Moore
9. Pies - Moore - FS
10 Crows -Pickett - I think they'll take Durdin, Marchbank or Goddard as KPB's are a need (i think) but have Pickett here as probably best available
11. WC - Ahern - they want outside speed - will be hoping Pickett gets through I imagine
12. Richmond - Leaves us one of Duggan, DeGoey and Blakely. I think Blakely is almost a sure thing as a solid inside mid. I really like him. DeGoey looks like he could develop into a bull of a mid who has some real class and Duggan looks like he will be a gem.

Would be very happy with either of them - but even happier with Trengove and Cockatoo!

I like your list, if by some miracle Laverde slips through and we still have 12 I'd take him. Otherwise has to be Duggan over DeGooey. We need another good strong kick and he has that in spades. Plus in 2 years time oppo will get confused and wonder how Cotchin became such a good left foot kick and start going to the wrong guy! Brownlow for Cotch in 2017, 2 x prem captain and norm smith. Duggan, most tackles received in history of AFL.

9. Pies - Moore - FS

I'm liking the look of Blakely too, if only from highlights packages and reading profiles.. Doesn't seem to lose his feet and looks Sheds like distributing the ball with pinpoint handball. Another form of (So Called) x - factor? Gets the pill too.

how i see the first 11 picks going before us:
1. St Kilda - Patrick McCartin
2. Melbourne - Christian Petracca
3. Melbourne - Peter Wright
4. GWS - Angus Brayshaw
5. Brisbane - Sam Durdin
6. Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever
7. Carlton - Paul Ahern
8. Gold Coast - Lachie Weller
9. Collingwood - Darcy Moore (F/S)
10. Adelaide - Caleb Marchbank
11. West Coast - Jarrod Pickett

Then we pick Jayden Laverde at Pick 12, he's a player we need and provides all the right qualities.
We then go like this:
Pick 12 - Jayden Laverde
Pick 33 - Tyler Keitel
Pick 52 - Matthew Goodyear
Pick 70 - Billy Evans
Pick 88 - Anthony Miles - Rookie Promotion
Pick 106 - Pass
Pick 124 - Pass

how i see the first 11 picks going before us:
1. St Kilda - Patrick McCartin
2. Melbourne - Christian Petracca
3. Melbourne - Peter Wright
4. GWS - Angus Brayshaw
5. Brisbane - Sam Durdin
6. Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever
7. Carlton - Paul Ahern
8. Gold Coast - Lachie Weller
9. Collingwood - Darcy Moore (F/S)
10. Adelaide - Caleb Marchbank
11. West Coast - Jarrod Pickett

Then we pick Jayden Laverde at Pick 12, he's a player we need and provides all the right qualities.
We then go like this:
Pick 12 - Jayden Laverde
Pick 33 - Tyler Keitel
Pick 52 - Matthew Goodyear
Pick 70 - Billy Evans
Pick 88 - Anthony Miles - Rookie Promotion
Pick 106 - Pass
Pick 124 - Pass

By the end of the trades period the Pies will have pick 5 and they are very high on Laverde.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our first rounders:

2004: 1 (AA)
2006: 13 (AA)
2007: 2 (AA) 18 (AA)
2009: 3 (AA sq)
2011: 15 (AA sq)

No busts for 10 years.

6 AA first rounders chosen from 8 drafts... Lennon & Vlastuin still young, plus Conca & Vickery solid. I'm happy to use Pick 12 and try to get another AA quality player. If we bring in a good, low-risk first rounder every year, we will always have 10-12 good players on our list without even thinking.

My only qualms are that we currently:

1. Lack midfield depth, and
2. Have a core of successful Picks 1, 2, and 3 in their prime, and we won't have that same opportunity for potentially a long, long time.

How do you think we are addressing problem 2?

If an experienced U18 watcher could let me know... is it absolutely 100% a waste of time for a supporter like me to look at highlights videos and form opinions about who I 'like' for our pick? Is it hard to be ~80% accurately informed by watching highlights closely?

What goes through your head while reading something a non-watcher posts?

If you say it's pointless because I wouldn't know what subtleties to look for (or something) then I'll literally never form a solid opinion about a first rounder again without seeing them live.

Either one of these blokes thankyou....
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-10-14/draft-stars-take-on-the-trick-shot-challenge
Ive been keen on either one of these guys for a while

Yep starting to get a bit excited about De Goey and Duggan. I think Duggan could provide us with some really good outside run. Start on the half back line and push up to the wing to partner Ellis on the other side. While De Goey has a bit of Bartel about him as a half forward and looks like he can mix it in the centre square. On balance I think Duggan would fit our squad a little more as we need that injection of outside run. I like how he looks to be willing to tackle and fight for the ball as well. Outside guys who can't mix it in a contest are frustrating to say the least.

Anyone know how these guys tested or have tested in the past for speed and endurance. I think endurance is such a big factor now. If Dusty had a bigger tank he could be a great while if Conca had a bigger tank he would be regarded as a good AFL player.

Just answer part of my own question. Duggan top 10 in the 3km time trial and kicking test - and doesn't look slow. Top 10 in an endurance test with his skills and game sense and the fact that he is young for this group - I'm picking Duggan. Will help to provide some of the overlap run and skilful delivery into the forward line that we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back