List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
With all the intense, entirely logical trade discussion in the other thread heating up, I think now would be a good time to get the draft thread started.

Discuss who would you like to see us select in the upcoming draft. As far as first round prospects go, these boys are ones we've been touted to select:

Peter Wright- Towering 203cm height, High Jumping, Sticky-handed Ruck/Forward. A bit similar to Kurt Tippett. Almost certainly won't be at our pick, but you never know.

Patrick McCartin- 193cm Contested Marking Full Forward with Diabetes & a bad case of the yips. Everyone has him going in the top 5 but I'm still tipping him to slip because he seems limited.

Jake Lever- 192cm Rebounding Defender/Third Tall. Very effective in that Mackie-like role across half-back but he won't be playing any football this year thanks to a torn ACL. Video here

Sam Durdin- 197cm Super Athletic, Great Kicking Key-Back touted for a move up forward. Another one expected to go in the top 5 so he's another unlikely prospect.

Jarrod Pickett- Lightning Quick Aboriginal Prospect from WA. Boasts high quality kicking over both long & short distances, weaves through traffic with ease and is loaded with pace. I don't think we'll draft someone from WA with our first pick though.

Angus Brayshaw- Talked up as an inside midfielder, but he's really an all-round gun. He's tall, strong, AFL-ready, wins plenty of the ball inside & out, boasts class by foot, tackles like a machine & takes a lot of contested marks for a midfielder.

Hugh Goddard- Brendan's cousin. Very athletic 196cm Key-Position player who looks more natural in defence, but has looked pretty good up forward this year. Not really dominating games yet, but he may well have the potential to do so.

Tom Lamb- Could have the highest ceiling of all the players in the draft. 193cm lightning fast midfielder/forward who can break games open. Not the best kick though.

Liam Duggan- Long story short, he'd be our Gilbee replacement, so I'd imagine he'd be one of the top preferences for those who think we're desperate for a rebounding defender. High quality kick over both long & short distances.

Clem Smith- He's a bit short at 177cm & he struggles with his kicking, but he's a bull; tackles & bumps like a maniac whilst also being super quick & dynamic through congestion. Like Pickett though, he's from WA, so I don't think we'll take him.

Last edited:
Patrick McCartin- 193cm Contested Marking Full Forward with diabetes & a bad case of the yips. Everyone has him going in the top 5 but I'm still tipping him to slip because he seems limited.

Hugh Goddard- Brendan's cousin. Very athletic 196cm Key-Position player who looks more natural in defence, but has looked pretty good up forward this year. Not really dominating games yet, but he may well have the potential to do so.

Liam Duggan- Long story short, he'd be our Gilbee replacement, so I'd imagine he'd be one of the top preferences for those who think we're desperate for a rebounding defender. High quality kick over both long & short distances.
Wouldn't mid any one of these three the other either are incredibly unlikely to be at our pick or I haven't really seen enough of/ I don't think would fit on our list.

Good job, I wonder if Lever will be a big slider coming off a serious injury and been unable to show his talent this year
Also has leadership qualities, captained Metro and strongly cares about his team-mates

Brayshaw is a bit inconsistent between matches with his kicking, one game he'll have a decent/good kicking game the next he'll have a poor kicking game; its a bit strange but I'm not sure its that huge of an issue at this stage; also has strong leadership qualities

Maynard would have the ability to play everywhere but KPPS, so he has great versatility; but I really hope we don't consider him with our first pick

With all the intense, entirely logical trade discussion in the other thread heating up, I think now would be a good time to get the draft thread started.

Discuss who would you like to see us select in the upcoming draft. As far as first round prospects go, these boys are ones we've been touted to select:

Peter Wright- Towering 203cm height, High Jumping, Sticky-handed Ruck/Forward. A bit similar to Kurt Tippett. Almost certainly won't be at our pick, but you never know.

Patrick McCartin- 193cm Contested Marking Full Forward with diabetes & a bad case of the yips. Everyone has him going in the top 5 but I'm still tipping him to slip because he seems limited.

Jake Lever- 192cm Rebounding Defender/third tall. Very effective in that Mackie-like role across half-back but he won't be playing any football this year thanks to a torn ACL. Video here

Sam Durdin- 197cm Super Athletic, Great Kicking Key-Back touted to move up forward. Another one touted to go in the top 5 so he's another unlikely prospect.

Jarrod Pickett- Lightning Quick Aboriginal Prospect from WA. Boasts high quality kicking over both long & short distances, weaves through traffic with ease and is loaded with pace. I don't think we'll draft a kid from WA with our first pick though.

Angus Brayshaw- Talked up as an inside midfielder, but he's really an all-round gun. He's tall, strong, AFL-ready, wins plenty of the ball inside & out, boasts class by foot, tackles like a machine & takes a lot of contested marks for a midfielder.

Tom Lamb- Could have the highest ceiling of all the players in the draft. 193cm lightning fast midfielder/forward who can break games open. Not the best kick though.

Clem Smith- He's a bit short at 177cm & he struggles with his kicking, but he's a bull; tackles & bumps like a maniac while also being super quick & dynamic through congestion. Like Pickett though, he's from WA, so I don't think we'll take him.
Great write up GB

Hugh Goddard or Duggan

Question is will there be any good half back flankers around our 2nd pick?
hopefully there will be a couple

but as far as in that range at the moment, Laverde/Viojo-Rainbow are two Jets boys who could play across half back
tall, solidly built, can take contested marks if they need to, good foot skills

the Jets seem to have all the good Vic HBFs :p

Hugh Goddard or Duggan

Question is will there be any good half back flankers around our 2nd pick?
There would be but if we finish with say pick 6 or so a lot of things have to go our way for Goddard or one of the other top line KPP's being there as there are a lot of ready made midfielders for teams like Melbourne later on so they could choose to go for a KPP with their first pick, if they do we take Duggan if they don't then one of Goddard or McCartin will be there for us. A least two teams would have to pass up on top line KPP talent for one to drop to us by how I believe the rest of this year will play out. Though I guess there is always guys like Jesse Watchman who'll probably be in the second round.

hopefully there will be a couple

but as far as in that range at the moment, Laverde/Viojo-Rainbow are two Jets boys who could play across half back
tall, solidly built, can take contested marks if they need to, good foot skills

the Jets seem to have all the good Vic HBFs :p
holy heck, looking through the jets tac squad there is a black dude that is 184cm and 57kgs....

holy heck, looking through the jets tac squad there is a black dude that is 184cm and 57kgs....
that is real light, see some of their 160cm players are 15-20kg more :eek:

back to the HBFs, we really would want one that is versatile
I'd rather a player that is good at everything, over elite at one thing and poor at everything else

Wouldn't complain with any of the ones listed really. If McCartin and Wright are gone my preferences are Duggan, Brayshaw and Lamb. In that order.

Durdin or Lamb are the ones I see as fitting in for us. Durdin because I see him as the best KPP that can play both ends for quite some time in the last few drafts, and Lamb because he screams Bonti all over again. So much talent and could play on a wing or key forward with no trouble. I'm not sure either will be available come our pick, but if either are, I'd grab them. The other of interest is Duggan. Beautiful skills and has a bit of toe about him. Would compliment our midfield superbly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm prefering Goddard to McCartin at the moment. Purely because we have several of those 190 - 190cm forward types and McCartin with Diabetes does concern me. McCartin will either go very high or middle of the first round, depending on how he manages this year. Goddard/Durdin with that Athleticism, extra height and versitility is more appealing at this stage and is a huge chance to slide down or push up. I have both of them at 4 and 5, but duggan brayshaw and pickett could all push up especially as GWS and Melbourne Circle those types.

How BF rates players will be different to recruiters ;)
Always that player 'guaranteed' to go in the first round or a couple that just keep on sliding as well

Gotta wonder with some of these young big key players if they're just dominating purely because of their size and usually are mismatched up on

Let's pick someone who is a good kick to start with, so Pickett or Duggan if we can't get a tall forward (who can kick).

Re Goddard, from reports he lacks intensity.
Hell no, he attacks the ball like a maniac
Throws himself at the ball like his life depends on it

I think Duggan, Pickett or Weller would be good choices if we wanted players that were good kicks
Still will be some reliable kicking players in the second round to

1. Brisbane - Patrick McCartin
2. Saints - Peter Wright
3. GWS - Angus Brayshaw
4. Melbourne - Sam Durdin
5. Carltank - Hugh Goddard
6. Western Bulldogs - Liam Duggan
7. Richmond - Tom Lamb
8. Adelaide - Jake Lever
9. West Coast - Alex Waterman (fs)
10. Collingwood - Darcy Moore (fs)

That is how I see thing unfolding at the moment.

that is understandable, it is still very early days
and he is probably just rating the obvious talents at this stage
He didn't have KK in the top ten for ages and even after we all knew that Gold Coast were keen on him he didn't even put him at gold coasts pick. I'll make my own opinions of players judged on what I see, it's always the best way of doing things.

1. Brisbane - Patrick McCartin
2. Saints - Peter Wright
3. GWS - Angus Brayshaw
4. Melbourne - Sam Durdin
5. Carltank - Hugh Goddard
6. Western Bulldogs - Liam Duggan
7. Richmond - Tom Lamb
8. Adelaide - Jake Lever
9. West Coast - Alex Waterman (fs)
10. Collingwood - Darcy Moore (fs)

That is how I see thing unfolding at the moment.

He didn't have KK in the top ten for ages and even after we all knew that Gold Coast were keen on him he didn't even put him at gold coasts pick. I'll make my own opinions of players judged on what I see, it's always the best way of doing things.

Think he had Bonts at 10 when he knew we were circling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back