List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you looked at saints and GWS draw, neither will win another game this year
Disagree. Riewoldt, Hayes and Montagna are that good, they'll drag st kilda to another win or 2. Maybe against us.

Gws need to find their mojo ASAP or agree that they're going to struggle to win more games this year.

Disagree. Riewoldt, Hayes and Montagna are that good, they'll drag st kilda to another win or 2. Maybe against us.

Gws need to find their mojo ASAP or agree that they're going to struggle to win more games this year.

Having 3 players being that good doesn't help when you surround then with 19 players that bad, they are a terrible terrible side, teams have already worked out this year now to double/triple team Riewoldt as their other forwards are so bad you can leave them. They are done.

Any ideas yet on what we'll have to pay for our father son picks this year? Is it just Cordy and Wallace who we're likley to nominate?
Has Jayden Foster developed into a draftable player yet or will we be passing on him again. Is he worth bringing in to our VFL side?
Not sure if he's good enough to be drafted but he's definitely worth a rookie spot or vfl squad spot imo.

Holy Crap if we have pick 5 I can see I logical way in which Wright could drop to us :eek::oops:

I was messing around with my first round re-ranking and stuff and I thought of this. Either it is very late and I'm tired and not thinking straight or I have had one of most awesome epiphanies of all time.

1. Brisbane - Patrick McCartin - Already guaranteed of Hammelmann later in the draft so they pick McCartin
2. St Kilda - Sam Durdin - Drafted more forwards in the last couple of years than there is in the top end of this draft. they choose to sure up the other end of the ground.
3. GWS - Angus Brayshaw - Don't need another 200cm Forward/Ruckman move on.
4. Melbourne - Hugh Goddard - Once again they have talented forwards from the draft already and have a fairly woeful defense so they draft Goddard to sure up their back line. alternatively they could draft a midfielder if one bolts up the order (Duggan, Weller ect)
5.Western Bulldogs - :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Brisbane is the only team I'm confident we will finish above, but if they even get some talent back and get a run on at home, who knows. It is possible we end up with pick 1 or 2.
Holy Crap if we have pick 5 I can see I logical way in which Wright could drop to us :eek::oops:

I was messing around with my first round re-ranking and stuff and I thought of this. Either it is very late and I'm tired and not thinking straight or I have had one of most awesome epiphanies of all time.

1. Brisbane - Patrick McCartin - Already guaranteed of Hammelmann later in the draft so they pick McCartin
2. St Kilda - Sam Durdin - Drafted more forwards in the last couple of years than there is in the top end of this draft. they choose to sure up the other end of the ground.
3. GWS - Angus Brayshaw - Don't need another 200cm Forward/Ruckman move on.
4. Melbourne - Hugh Goddard - Once again they have talented forwards from the draft already and have a fairly woeful defense so they draft Goddard to sure up their back line. alternatively they could draft a midfielder if one bolts up the order (Duggan, Weller ect)
5.Western Bulldogs - :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Even if someone like Durdin dropped, you would take him and say righto your time to play key forward!. Goddard has got more chance than wright at 5. St'Kilda loaded up on tall defenders, Brust, Delaney were both traded in so they will go Tall forward.
If frawley stays Melbourne will be set at either end for KPP posts. They could do with more mid class, reckon Duggan.

I am actually really frustrated after the loss and don't care who really falls to us, because we need more players that can have an immediate impact
So players that have come off injuries or are project players, I want us to avoid like land mines
Have to see if we can get a second first round pick somehow and if that happens to be a priority pick, then so be it
Need to be loading up with quality :drunk:

Dav1d Viojo Rainbow named BOG for the Western Jets today, Duggan not in the best for once
I thought that people playing in the U18 Champs don't usually play in their TAC side? I wonder what his athletic profile is like, like how fast he is and how high his vertical leap is and etc; definitely more an outside type of player right now but has the body size to be able to play inside as well.

Key-Forward because we need one just as much and they're harder to get.

But really, I'm just making a point to those who were saying pace isn't needed to win a flag and that good handballing/kicking nullifies it.

Tonight showed pace is extremely important, and we didn't have any of it tonight aside from Tutt & Wood. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Gold Coast went on a 5+ year winning streak against us because they're an insanely fast team and that's always going to give them a big advantage over us.

I disagree.

Pace is way overrated.

We just needed to kick straighter (or hope they kick less straight) and we'd have been clear by 3 goals at half time.

After half time may have been a bit dire, but when we can run games out for 4 quarters I reckon we have gold coast's measure.

A key forward is critical this draft, and is a big piece of our puzzle I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree.

Pace is way overrated.

We just needed to kick straighter (or hope they kick less straight) and we'd have been clear by 3 goals at half time.

After half time may have been a bit dire, but when we can run games out for 4 quarters I reckon we have gold coast's measure.

If we draft a key forward, the reality is they likely won't be ready to contribute/help us win until 2018.

I disagree.

Pace is way overrated.

If we were cleaner with our disposal, we'd remain more competitive, but still concede a huge pace advantage to the Gold Coast.

We'd go from getting belted to getting emphatically belted to getting beaten convincingly.

Extremely extremely naive to think it's overrated. Do you only ever watch the Bulldogs? Never watched Port, Hawthorn or Fremantle? They score a great deal of goals through blistering counter attacks thanks to their fast players, which is a huge advantage in itself, never mind the MCG where finals are played.

If we were cleaner with our disposal, we'd remain more competitive, but still concede a huge pace advantage to the Gold Coast.

We'd go from getting belted to getting emphatically belted to getting beaten convincingly.

Extremely extremely naive to think it's overrated. Do you only ever watch the Bulldogs? Never watched Port, Hawthorn or Fremantle? They score a great deal of goals through blistering counter attacks thanks to their fast players, which is a huge advantage in itself, never mind the MCG where finals are played.
Could give us 3 Stephen Hills and we'd still look slow af

I'd say its more hard running then pace though, sure they have some quick players but across the whole team they all run their guts out

In this draft I'm not sure who the hardest runners are yet but I think our recruiters should have a big circle around their name because it is just one of the many things we're currently lacking

There were times against GC that both Macrae & Bonts got left in an opponents dust. As good as those guys may become we do need to make sure we avoid having a one paced midfield down the track.

I can only see Melbourne potentially going past us on the ladder. I'd say we are something like
a
%40 chance of staying where we are on the ladder
a 20% chance of dropping to 15th
a 25% chance of moving up to 13
a 12% chance of getting into 12th
and a 3% chance of anything higher than that.
No way we end up bottom 3.

Could give us 3 Stephen Hills and we'd still look slow af

I'd say its more hard running then pace though, sure they have some quick players but across the whole team they all run their guts out

In this draft I'm not sure who the hardest runners are yet but I think our recruiters should have a big circle around their name because it is just one of the many things we're currently lacking
It's not going to make the whole team faster; it is going to give us some players that can break the lines.

We don't have any genuinely good linebreakers, and as a result, we're operating at a big disadvantage to those who do have genuine linebreakers. Don't tell me hard running or good skills are going to fix that because the Gold Coast have us covered there.

Hard running and good skills only get you so far; every Grand Final contender is going to have plenty of it, but we'll be slacking behind for not having players who can run through space at blistering speed at the MCG.

No way the afl would give us a compo pick
They will give it to saints.
If they give one to the Saints it will encourage any struggling club to trade away it's stars & draft kids.
Seriously - Goddard, DalSanto & McEvoy- what did they expect?

I thought that people playing in the U18 Champs don't usually play in their TAC side? I wonder what his athletic profile is like, like how fast he is and how high his vertical leap is and etc; definitely more an outside type of player right now but has the body size to be able to play inside as well.
Keep on seeing him taking really good marks jumping at the ball then playing on straight away on the highlights, I know that doesn't show absolutely everything but it shows a lot more than just stats.

GrandBlue is right, we need more pace and it is probably as high a priority as a KPP.

The good thing is, the upcoming trade/draft period could really fix our list balance.

We should DEFINITELY be targeting David Mackay. He is exactly what we need and is a few years younger than Rosa. If we can't afford the 400-500k 4 year deal it would take, then we are seriously overpaying our players. If need be, Boyd/Morris/Murphy all need to take a small paycut to play next year. It sounds harsh, but it is common for a players last contract to be much smaller.

We should also finish bottom 4, which isn't a great result but would have 2 benefits for us long term. It would allow us to almost definitely pick up a quality KPP for a top 5 pick. If we are actually targeting Sam Reid, then we MUST get Sydney's first rounder, and possibly even more. The second benefit is that it would probably allow us to pick up Cordy for our 3rd rounder. If we grab one or two KPP players as a rookies, then we will have gone a long way to fixing our KPP shortage. They may not be quality, but we at least need to keep cycling through them until we get 3-4 good quality KPP. At the moment I would say we have 1 in Roughead, maybe 2 if you count Crameri.

For our second rounder we then need to help address the pace aspect and try for someone to compliment Mackay. If you added 2 more above-averaged skilled and fast players into our team it would make the world of difference. You don't need an entire team of fleet-footed players, but merely a couple across each line which would compliment our in-and-under players and create some headaches for the opposition. These 2, plus Grant in the forward line would probably be enough to solve the issue. Wood (and maybe JJ) down back, Mackay and draft pick through the middle, Grant and Dahl up forward. We looked great when we got on the run in the first half of the game yesterday and were able to kick the ball into open space in the forward line with Crameri and Dahl on the run. With a smallish forward line (I don't see us playing with 2 proper KPF's in the team while we are playing Crameri/Stringer/Grant), it's essential for this to happen.

Free Agent: Mackay
1st round: KPP
2nd round: Speedy player with above average skills
2rd round: Cordy

Problem somewhat solved.

We'd had 13 scoring shots at half time. Gold Coast had 9 shots.

Despite this fatal lack of pace we pretty much had Gold Coast's measure, save for some poor accuracy in front of goal, and their unseasonably high accuracy for goal.

However, our issue is not kicking-for-goal accuracy or a lack of pace, it's the inability to play 4 quarters of football.

As was evident when we then stopped playing in quarter 3 and gave up 8 goals to 1.

I cannot believe some of the discussion on these boards - we've gone from identifying our weaknesses in the 08-10 Prelim failures where we couldn't play the game as tough as Geelong or Hawthorn or St Kilda or Collingwood (despite being more fleet footed and skilled)...

to now whinging that we aren't more fleet footed and skilled.

What we need to be concerned about is why the players have lapses that last 1 to 1.5 quarters seemingly every week.

If we didn't do that crap, we would probably be in the top 4 right now. I would argue that lapses cost us:
  • Almost vs Richmond (Q3 and first half of Q4)
  • vs Carlton (Q1)
  • vs Adelaide (Q2 and first half of Q3)
  • vs Essendon (Q3)
  • vs Gold Coast (Q3 and first half of Q4)
West Coast and North Melbourne were the only games where I didn't think that these massive lapses cost us the game.

Good point jtg. Macca mentions it as an issue in just about every press conference but I am yet to hear him talk about how we are tackling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back