Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah the eagles aren't going let any mids go for cheap bad with there recent draft history of drafting WA kids they aren't going to find what they want early in this draft.

I do like the look of Brayshaw in this draft though, ready to go in a similar mould to Wines and Dunstan, but our current pick would be pick 5 and not sure he'll be there at that pick.

Petraca and Pickett are likely to be good mids which will be available to us, if not Brayshaw.

If Frawley leaves, and we take both picks to the table, one of Durdin or Brayshaw should be there for us which would be good.

Obviously everyone says this year's draft is heavy on quality talls... I wonder how heavy? There are plenty of shit teams who will be keen to draft a KPF - Saints, Lions, Dogs, Carlton, possibly Richmond too. GWS the only ones who don't really need more young tall players. That could leave us, depending on ladder positions, with the best midfielder in the draft at potentially pick 5 or 6. Could be a great steal.

You boys should be looking the swans way, some good blood there and a chance to get a high pick for swans- we're after a Decade long CHB and durdin/Goddard fit the bill.

Mitchell would be the best crack you have at a star mid this season, albeit he's young.

Membrey + Mitchell for pick 5

You boys should be looking the swans way, some good blood there and a chance to get a high pick for swans- we're after a Decade long CHB and durdin/Goddard fit the bill.

Mitchell would be the best crack you have at a star mid this season, albeit he's young.

Whats this Membrey kid about havent heard anything?

Tom Mitchell and another decent kid for pick 5ish is definitely a trade we would have to look at especially if we have 2 picks

Surely the Swans wouldn't even think about trading Mitchell out? Not to mention that he is a local boy (AFAIK) and wouldn't be keen to leave Sydney.

One point to remember is that Sydney will need to clear some cap room when the escalators kick in with the Buddy contract.

One point to remember is that Sydney will need to clear some cap room when the escalators kick in with the Buddy contract.
I hope that hits them like a freight train. However even if they lose COLA I reckon they will find some creative way to keep it all together, with the AFL kindly turning them a blind eye.

Surely the Swans wouldn't even think about trading Mitchell out? Not to mention that he is a local boy (AFAIK) and wouldn't be keen to leave Sydney.

I doubt Sydney would trade Mitchell but happy to do pick 5 for him though.

If one is to be squeezed out, I think someone like Bird. Parker looks to be a must keep.

I'd be up for that for sure. Mitchell alone is worth a top 5-10 draft pick. Not 100% sure how Membrey's been going in the reserves but looked a talent at U18 level. Wouldn't mind Dean Towers as steak knives, instead of Membrey as his line breaking pace is attractive.

I doubt Sydney would trade Mitchell but happy to do pick 5 for him though.

If one is to be squeezed out, I think someone like Bird. Parker looks to be a must keep.
Bird could be the word. Although I feel he may just be a bit of an upgrade on what we have - guys like Michie, Kent, Riley.

Obviously everyone says this year's draft is heavy on quality talls... I wonder how heavy? There are plenty of shit teams who will be keen to draft a KPF - Saints, Lions, Dogs, Carlton, possibly Richmond too. GWS the only ones who don't really need more young tall players. That could leave us, depending on ladder positions, with the best midfielder in the draft at potentially pick 5 or 6. Could be a great steal.

Yeah, big possibility.

McCartin, Wright, Durdin and Goddard are all potentially top 5 picks if there are teams desperate for talls.

Mitchell was the year below me at Carey then moved to WA the year before his draft year I think, got lots of mates here - I wouldn't think the Swans would, but he's not playing at the moment, they need a tall back (Durdin/Goddard) and the Swans have two gun mids tied to them who'll they'll get cheap (late first round) in Heeney and a F/S next year who is apparently the best mid available (according to Shifter).

I reckon if we were ever a chance to snag a player like Mitchell, it would be this year.

Mitchell and someone like Zac Jones/Membrey would be a good deal for us (Jones may be a bit fanciful, but we'd need something else)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I thought Mitchell was some form of zone selection/scholarship player... was I wrong? Not sure why I was thinking that. He did take a few years to get over injuries and build up Reserves form, so I suppose it was a while ago now that he was drafted.

hi guys just thought i would post this about tom mitchell. If true would essentially tie him to the swans till the end of 2016.

2 hours ago
Mitchell is injured for another 3 weeks with an ankle. I know he had 60 touches or whatever the other day, but I think his ankle is contributing to his absences. He can't put three or four good games together. Just looked it up - he got a five year deal in 2012, so he's there for the long haul
Jon Ralph
f9d67409-e4d6-4d76-82b5-2eb4abdc7c6d.jpg

Oh I thought Mitchell was some form of zone selection/scholarship player... was I wrong? Not sure why I was thinking that. He did take a few years to get over injuries and build up Reserves form, so I suppose it was a while ago now that he was drafted.
He was F/S - son of Barry Mitchell. Would be ecstatic with him for pick 5 though, would be an instant boost to the midfield.

Father/son bidding takes place before Trade week if I remember correctly so if we bid a 2nd rounder on Stretch we can't trade it.

Someone would need to bid a (roughly) top 23 pick on him for us to use our second rounder.

He seems to be tracking at around about pick 25-30 so I think we will be ok.

Father/son bidding takes place before Trade week if I remember correctly so if we bid a 2nd rounder on Stretch we can't trade it.
I don't see him needing a pick in the low 20's.

But the beauty of getting a free agent like Mundy is that we add a quality midfielder but we don't lose a top pick, so we can get a quality mid in their prime and a 10 year midfield prospect in one off-season.

A guy we should really look at is Tom Mitchell, the Swans have arguably the best midfielder in the draft tied to them this year in Heeney (through their academy) and next year they have one of the top midfield prospects as their father son.

And Mitchell isn't getting a game, although I think he should.

I've been saying this for weeks. Didn't get elevated again this week despite a spot opening up in their midfield with Hannebery's injury.

On the plus side, the Swans did select Chunk Jones's younger brother Zac to debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back