2014 Non-Crows AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth do West Coast make so much from their memberships? They have roughly 500 fewer members than Adelaide, with a similar mix of membership types, yet they manage to make twice as much money from those members. Comparing those two charts, they're making roughly twice as much per member as every other club in the competition.

*edit...... the last post explains it

Compare that with Adelaide's pricing:
General Admission (11 games): $220
Silver Membership: $265
Gold Membership: $390
Essential Crows Membership: $370

No wonder West Coast & Freo are miles ahead on membership earnings - their ticket prices are astronomical compared to the rest of the country's.

No wonder West Coast & Freo are miles ahead on membership earnings - their ticket prices are astronomical compared to the rest of the country's.

Our Silver prices can be more than that, I'm paying $360 for silver in Eastern stand, so the club does vary prices based on view I assume. Wasn't happy they increased my membership by 20% from the year before however :(

Wages would be higher over there.

Wages would be higher over there.
Not to the tune of $8.4M they're not. That's the difference between what West Coast & Adelaide are taking from their memberships ($16.0M vs $7.6M), with West Coast having 500 fewer members. That's a 110% increase on Adelaide's earnings. I can accept that Perth wages might be 20-30% higher than Adelaide's, but 110%?

Not to the tune of $8.4M they're not. That's the difference between what West Coast & Adelaide are taking from their memberships ($16.0M vs $7.6M), with West Coast having 500 fewer members. That's a 110% increase on Adelaide's earnings. I can accept that Perth wages might be 20-30% higher than Adelaide's, but 110%?

Smaller stadium, wealthier and larger population means you can charge higher prices. It's that simple. West Coast are a bigger club than Collingwood. Have been saying it for years. They just don't get the media or the AFL sanctioned hype because they are not in Melbourne.

I think they might be Vader. More millionaires per capita than any other State in Australia. Cost of living higher than Adelaide too.

ScreenShot2014-05-07at14622PM.png

That graph is nowhere near 110% though.

Anyway, the answer is probably as simple as high demand, low supply, combined with a higher average wage (which is skewed a lot by miners etc, many of whom would not be members because they would barely be able to go to games).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, the answer is probably as simple as high demand, low supply, combined with a higher average wage (which is skewed a lot by miners etc, many of whom would not be members because they would barely be able to go to games).

yeah I know that, but it shows a big difference between the two states. And I agree.

Smaller stadium, wealthier and larger population means you can charge higher prices. It's that simple. West Coast are a bigger club than Collingwood. Have been saying it for years. They just don't get the media or the AFL sanctioned hype because they are not in Melbourne.
I have no doubt at all that this is driven by supply vs demand. Perth has roughly double Adelaide's population and Subiaco holds fewer supporters than either Football Park or Adelaide Oval. Where there is a demand, with limited supply, the price will rise accordingly until a balance is reached.
I think they might be Vader. More millionaires per capita than any other State in Australia. Cost of living higher than Adelaide too.
But the only millionaires employed by the Weagles or Freo are the players - and the money for paying them comes directly from the AFL. There's no doubt that Perth is a more expensive place to live and that the average wage over there is significantly higher than it is in Adelaide, but that doesn't even come close to explaining a 110% difference in membership incomes.

It's clearly driven by supply vs demand, rather than any additional expenses incurred by the WA clubs. Most of that 110% difference is pure profit.

The values are written in the columns. Adelaide made $7.6M, West Coast made $16.0M. That's a 110% difference.

This is where all the money would come from. It costs between $65 and $150 to get on the waiting list for the Eagles, and they don't expect people to get off the waiting list until the new Perth Stadium is completed in 2018 (4 years!).

http://www.wcemembership.com.au/product/wings
http://www.wcemembership.com.au/product/wings-plus

You can see how desperately Perth need a new stadium. 42,000 is just way too small for the size of the Eagles fan base.

New one ready in 2018. Will be amazing and a much better location (for me at least!)

How on earth do West Coast make so much from their memberships? They have roughly 500 fewer members than Adelaide, with a similar mix of membership types, yet they manage to make twice as much money from those members. Comparing those two charts, they're making roughly twice as much per member as every other club in the competition.

I assume higher costs are part of it, but would it a case of them getting ALL the revenue from their memberships sales.
Did the clubs get ANY money from the AAMI Stadium Category 1 membership ?
I also think I read somewhere the clubs only received about $150 or so for each Cat 2/3 membership.

I reckon the Perth clubs have a true clean stadium, they pay a lease and get everything out of it (memberships, catering etc).

Even at Adelaide oval I'm not sure the clubs get anything out of the SMA memberships, and theres a fair chance the SMA takes a chunk of the Essential Crows/Power ones too ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back