Position 2014 SC Defenders

What structure are you going in with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitchell in his first three games plays Brisbane (Raines, who according to the prospectus, won 14/17 matchups against his opponents), Essendon (Hocking, 12/16) and Fremantle (Crowley 21/23). Reckon the Freo game might see him shed a fair bit of value.

Same, he's burnt me in the past but he can't injure himself every year?
It's a player you select knowing the past injury history and having faith that his body finally holds out. To be fair, he did play 21 games in 2012 and the injury he did sustain last year wasn't a soft tissue injury or a recurrence of the back problems he had early in his career, but a broken collarbone sustained in a tackle, which could have happened to any player.

Before the injury last season, he averaged 99.6 in 5 games in a deplorable Melbourne side. Roos has mentioned that he is likely to return to his role across half back which is where he has historically scored very well. I really doubt that he will be used as a run with player again (Cross could even be given that role) and playing across the backline could also decrease his susceptibility in getting injured again.

For me, there is huge upside with Grimes this season even with the inherent risks and in his price range, I see him as the standout over players like Swallow, Fisher, Geary, Gilbert and the like. I do like Broadbent though in that price bracket, if given license to play loose across half back like he did for various game last season, he'll score very well (his DT:SC ratio is very much in favour of Supercoach).

Carlisle is VERY up and down. But mostly down. :p Here's a sample of his scores last year, round 10 to round 16:

65, 120, 75, 127, 34, 98

Don't pick him.

y8upa4yt.jpg

Interesting not seeing Sam Darley mentioned as a back on afl.com list by defenders article..

Fingers crossed he can get a guernsey on the wing and through the midfield.

Another one of my smokies E.Yeo seems to be fitting into halfback at the weagles nicely! :) get on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

y8upa4yt.jpg

Interesting not seeing Sam Darley mentioned as a back on afl.com list by defenders article..

Another one of my smokies E.Yeo seems to be fitting into halfback at the weagles nicely! :) get on!

Very quickly glanced at that article,

seemed to be everyone was having a great pre-season!

Yep everyone flying at the moment!

Mitchell in his first three games plays Brisbane (Raines, who according to the prospectus, won 14/17 matchups against his opponents), Essendon (Hocking, 12/16) and Fremantle (Crowley 21/23). Reckon the Freo game might see him shed a fair bit of value.

After you pointing this out, i went back to the drawing board to look at some stats to see if they back up what the prospectus say's.
Sam Mitchell:
Brisbane - 26 disposals and 118 supercoach points.
Essendon - 31disposals and 96 supercoach points.
Fremantle - 25disposals and 83superocach points

Stat wise it's not bad imo, his still an elite player, he can possibly go down in price but its hardly a risk imo :thumbsu:

Not for mine, never been that great an SC scorer if memory serves me correctly.
Carlisle is VERY up and down. But mostly down. :p Here's a sample of his scores last year, round 10 to round 16:

65, 120, 75, 127, 34, 98

Don't pick him.

Dont dismiss based on scores, consider based on his role. Has proven he can go big

y8upa4yt.jpg

It's afl.com.au. I pretty much automatically ignore everything they say about the Dogs, because it's either wrong or so bleeding obvious that it didn't need to be stated.

Darley was drafted as a midfielder/winger, and was playing HB due to the strength of GWS. I'd say that IF he gets a spot, it would be rotating through HB/Wing, and could be very SC friendly.

However, having said that, I haven't heard much at all about him. :D But I do know that the plan is to move him to the wing if he shows he deserves a spot.

Dont dismiss based on scores, consider based on his role. Has proven he can go big
Well if he's earmarked to play forward, most of the games where he's played forward he hasn't scored that well. His best matches are when he's blocking off attacks in the back half, or when he iced the game at the death.

Really starting to think about a replacement for Suckling now in my team.

From what I have heard he wont be ready for round 1.

Best options fellas for a replacement at Sucklings price?

Thinking Yeo, R.Shaw or S.Shaw at this stage.....
I read yesterday that he is likely to play in week 2 of NAB Challenge, so it won't be availability necessarily that will keep him from playing. As I have stated on other threads, he will need to play well in order to be a Rd 1 certainty. Possibly behind Taylor Duryea for a spot in the backline.

What do Cat's fans think of Jackson Thurlow this season? He is awkwardly priced, but still some money making potential there. We know he is hugely talented and the Cat's hirearchy have him penciled in for a long career at Kardinia Park. Is he likely to be a regular part of the back 6 this season? There are seemingly opportunities available down there with Hunt gone (no loss) and Corey retiring (meaning Bartel will likely be used further afield). Guthrie would appear to have the inside running on one of those spots, but the other?
I like Thurlow's scoring potential, especially with the way the Cat's share the ball, just unsure of his job security. What say you Cat's fans?

What do Cat's fans think of Jackson Thurlow this season? He is awkwardly priced, but still some money making potential there. We know he is hugely talented and the Cat's hirearchy have him penciled in for a long career at Kardinia Park. Is he likely to be a regular part of the back 6 this season? There are seemingly opportunities available down there with Hunt gone (no loss) and Corey retiring (meaning Bartel will likely be used further afield). Guthrie would appear to have the inside running on one of those spots, but the other?
I like Thurlow's scoring potential, especially with the way the Cat's share the ball, just unsure of his job security. What say you Cat's fans?

Jackson Thurlow had minor hip surgery and is also close to resuming full training.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cats-skipper-eyes-recovery-for-first-round-20140127-31iuc.html

A bit concerning for a fringe player. You really want them to have a great preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back