Position 2014 SC Defenders

What structure are you going in with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bartel, McVeigh, Mitchell at the start doesn't leave much room to move in other lines and they all will lose value. There is no way that McVeigh will maintain a 106 average let alone surpass that therefore why not bring him in when he has hit sub $500k value?

I would prefer to spend $572k on Cotchin in the mids than on McVeigh and under $500k on one of quite a few viable options in that price range in the backs than over $1.5 million on three defenders and have to settle for scrubs in the mids.

I have had Bartel, Mitchell and McVeigh in my backs with Suckling at D4 for a while now.

Looks very stable to me which I think is important in a SC backline. Don't see any need to change it. :thumbsu:

What kind of structure overall are you going with, 4/0/6 in the mids?

Currently

Mitchell McVeigh Adcock Suckling Yeo KK

anyone going with both Suckling and Yeo at the present time?

I have had Bartel, Mitchell and McVeigh in my backs with Suckling at D4 for a while now.

Looks very stable to me which I think is important in a SC backline. Don't see any need to change it. :thumbsu:
Mitch and McV are at their maximum price. You're paying overs.
Cotchin, Watson are unders.

With substantially reduced cash generation this year, it's all about buying at the cheapest price.

Mitch and McV are at their maximum price. You're paying overs.
Cotchin, Watson are unders.

With substantially reduced cash generation this year, it's all about buying at the cheapest price.

Who do you recommend in the backline then?

Hodge, Birchall, Hanley, Hurn are all unders. Hibbard has upside. Bartel is reasonably priced.

Bartel is the same price as Mitchell and McVeigh though.

How is that paying unders for him?

My train of thought is that you will want Mitchell, McVeigh and Bartel in your team by seasons end anyways, may as well start with them.

Plus I see all three as better players than Birchall, Hanley and Hurn who are all very susceptible at handling a tag (.ie. they melt like butter!)

Mitchell, McVeigh and Bartel will rarely get tagged compared to Birchall, Hanley and Hurn who will cop a tag most weeks. :thumbsu:

There's a reason why Birchall, Hanley and Hurn are cheaper than Mitchell, McVeigh and Bartel as highlighted above. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My train of thought is that you will want Mitchell, McVeigh and Bartel in your team by seasons end anyways, may as well start with them.

Plus I see all three as better players than Birchall, Hanley and Hurn who are all very susceptible at handling a tag (.ie. they melt like butter!)

Mitchell, McVeigh and Bartel will rarely get tagged compared to Birchall, Hanley and Hurn who will cop a tag most weeks. :thumbsu:

There's a reason why Birchall, Hanley and Hurn are cheaper than Mitchell, McVeigh and Bartel as highlighted above. ;)
I have 2 of the three currently... However which of your lines cop it because of all the cash you are putting in your DEF Judd? Are you running with 4 premo's 4 rook pricers on the field in the MIDs?

Gingy same question to you. You have put more money than anyone into DEF, so surely you gotta be struggling on some other line. I assume being a Carlton fan you have both Smurph and Daisy in your MIDs saving a bit.

Bartel, I reckon, has more to give.

Agreed you'll end up with them all, but you'll get them much cheaper during the season. They'll be less cash generation this year, it's all about using that cash wisely. IMO you are better using more trades and less money to get your side. Picking those that are cheaply priced but can improve is critical. Hurn had an 8 in one game last year when he got injured which affected his average and thus price. Rocky, Watson, Cotchin are all cheap for what they are.

Bartel, I reckon, has more to give.

Agreed you'll end up with them all, but you'll get them much cheaper during the season. They'll be less cash generation this year, it's all about using that cash wisely. IMO you are better using more trades and less money to get your side. Picking those that are cheaply priced but can improve is critical. Hurn had an 8 in one game last year when he got injured which affected his average and thus price. Rocky, Watson, Cotchin are all cheap for what they are.

Bartel also had the plus +++50 odd in the game where he kicked the winning goal, inflated his average by at least 2-3 points. He is on the slide and IMO ,wont end up as a top 2 defender, and he'll only play 17 games max

just my thoughts tho

Of Mitchell, McVeigh, Bartel & Walker, my thoughts are that only Mitchell can 'lift' his average higher.

I reckon the others are fully priced, with probability they average less then they are priced at.

My 2c,

Bartel also had the plus +++50 odd in the game where he kicked the winning goal, inflated his average by at least 2-3 points. He is on the slide and IMO ,wont end up as a top 2 defender, and he'll only play 17 games max

just my thoughts tho
I totally agree, I have not once put Bartel in my team since it opened.

I think McVeigh is set for another big 105+ year, same with Mitchell.

I have 2 of the three currently... However which of your lines cop it because of all the cash you are putting in your DEF Judd? Are you running with 4 premo's 4 rook pricers on the field in the MIDs?

Gingy same question to you. You have put more money than anyone into DEF, so surely you gotta be struggling on some other line. I assume being a Carlton fan you have both Smurph and Daisy in your MIDs saving a bit.

I think my teams pretty strong everwhere really, no weak spots.

Murphy and Thomas are my 4th and 5th mids though but I see nothing wrong with that as I think they are both excellent value for money and will score quite well. :thumbsu:

I think my teams pretty strong everwhere really, no weak spots.

Murphy and Thomas are my 4th and 5th mids though but I see nothing wrong with that as I think they are both excellent value for money and will score quite well. :thumbsu:

Where is beams?

My thoughts on Jimmy Bartel:

Bartel has lost pace in the last year, the first time I've ever thought he looked Sluggish and slow. I think he could also get some forward pocket time which could effect his scoring output and if he stays back in the back half I think he won't live up to his expectations. Now I'm not saying this will happen or that you shouldn't pick Jimmy, just that he should be targeted as an upgrade rather then forking out his maximum price of 560k for him which he will never be able to live up too.

My thoughts on J.Mcveigh:

Mcveigh has been a consistent player throughout his career, this year will be no different, his in arguably one of the best sides in the comp so he should find the pill a lot easier and with Shaw and A.Johnson returning from injuries it begs the question will Mcveigh be back in the Midfield again, (personally I think he will)

No doubt every side wants Mcveigh is just a matter of when they pull the trigger.

My thoughts on S.Mitchell:

With an average of 30, 27, 28 disposals in Mitchell's past 3 seasons how can you not like what this guys done. His skills are Elite, his contested ball work and clearance work is second to none, his very durable as he rarely gets injured and misses a game.
Mitchell is a class act and every team in there right mind will have him at some point in there squad.

My thoughts on Jimmy Bartel:

Bartel has lost pace in the last year, the first time I've ever thought he looked Sluggish and slow. I think he could also get some forward pocket time which could effect his scoring output and if he stays back in the back half I think he won't live up to his expectations. Now I'm not saying this will happen or that you shouldn't pick Jimmy, just that he should be targeted as an upgrade rather then forking out his maximum price of 560k for him which he will never be able to live up too.

I'm not so sure tbh. According to many Geelong supporters (myself not included) Jimmy had a pretty ordinary year last year, yet scored 13 hundreds in his 21 games for an average of 106.1 - not bad for a down year and he has proven to be pretty resilient over the years.

There is a bit of talk that he may be played forward a bit this year and if that happens then who knows how it will affect his scoring, but I wouldn't be backing against him. Has shown he can score well year after year and as with Boomer Harvey I see no reason why that will not continue, despite their age.

As you say you may be able to pick him up cheaper down the track and if that works out for you then all good - I just prefer to start with guys that have shown to be consistent performers and consistently on the park for my keepers.

Jimmy is locked and loaded for me.

P.S. I may be a little biased but the stats don't lie. :)

I'm not so sure tbh. According to many Geelong supporters (myself not included) Jimmy had a pretty ordinary year last year, yet scored 13 hundreds in his 21 games for an average of 106.1 - not bad for a down year and he has proven to be pretty resilient over the years.

There is a bit of talk that he may be played forward a bit this year and if that happens then who knows how it will affect his scoring, but I wouldn't be backing against him. Has shown he can score well year after year and as with Boomer Harvey I see no reason why that will not continue, despite their age.

As you say you may be able to pick him up cheaper down the track and if that works out for you then all good - I just prefer to start with guys that have shown to be consistent performers and consistently on the park for my keepers.

Jimmy is locked and loaded for me.

P.S. I may be a little biased but the stats don't lie. :)

I do agree he has the stats to back it up and I'm not writing him off, I'm just very cautious about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back