Position 2014 SC Defenders

What structure are you going in with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh I am hoping too put in a smokey back rookie.

How about Darcy Gardiner?

Exactly the same as McStay.

Jed Adcock really interests me.

I've got him pencilled in for that 90 average that he does so well. At 28 I think any midfield push would've happened by now.

At the very least you're going to get a 90 ppg player for 22 games which is good enough for an aggregate top 10 defender. Alot safer a pick than a David Swallow, Sam Fisher etc.

In the same mould as Enright,

who you could pencil for 21@90-95,

Rd 8 bye though,

In the same mould as Enright,

who you could pencil for 21@90-95,

Rd 8 bye though,

Yep the round 8 bye kills Enright for me but you're spot on. The only >$550k defender i'm considering is Mitchell, the rest of the premiums are going to be around the $500k and Adcock fits the bill as a non-frills, consistent defender who wont screw you with a Hamish Hartlett like 20 point game or a Paul Duffield like spud performance who I had both last season. This year it's going to be the consistent players who have the runs on the board that I pick and non of these speculative picks or picks of players who have only proven themselves for a year and could just as easily regress to their past scoring (Hanley, Hibberd, McVeigh, Walker etc).

Taylor had surgery and would be starting behind the likes of Green, Zorko, Bewick and McGrath as a small forward to start with. He'll probably get games but not for a while. Cutler's in our deepest spot - Adcock, Golby and Harwood all played well as small defenders last year, so even with Yeo and Doc leaving Cutler would have to beat one of them or wait for an injury.

Nope. He was drafted to replace Maguire/Merrett/Patfull in a couple of years as a KPD.
Neither Gardiner or McStay are likely to play seniors next year.As Dlanod mentioned earlier, they were drafted to replace our current KPD's in the next few years. We'd need a lot of injuries for them to get games this year.

I'd put as cross through Taylor, McStay, Gardiner and Cutler's names for 2014 in Supercoach.

Robertson has been very good throughout the pre season according to the Brisbane board and other Lions supporters I know.

Aish is probably the most likely of our draftees to play round one. But even then I'd say there are first year players that are better options.

Geez it's little wonder why your draftees want out as soon as their first contracts are up. The same thing will happen with the new crop if they have to waste away in the NEAFL for 1-2 years whilst average/mediocre players and has beens clog up the starting 22. Just face it, most of your senior players are not elite or not elite any more. You're not going to improve as a team by playing the same players that haven't been good enough to get you into the finals for the last how many years.

I would like to think that Leppa will coach for what is good for Brissy's long term future by getting as many games into the kids as possible and relegate the also rans to the NEAFL where they belong, instead of constantly coaching for his job like Vossy did in the delusion that Brissy could be finals contenders if they play their most experienced 22.

Geez it's little wonder why your draftees want out as soon as their first contracts are up. The same thing will happen with the new crop if they have to waste away in the NEAFL for 1-2 years whilst average/mediocre players and has beens clog up the starting 22. Just face it, most of your senior players are not elite or not elite any more. You're not going to improve as a team by playing the same players that haven't been good enough to get you into the finals for the last how many years.

I would like to think that Leppa will coach for what is good for Brissy's long term future by getting as many games into the kids as possible and relegate the also rans to the NEAFL where they belong, instead of constantly coaching for his job like Vossy did in the delusion that Brissy could be finals contenders if they play their most experienced 22.

WTF? Gardiner and McStay are KPDs - they take longer to mature, in an area where we do have two of the best defenders going around in Merrett and Patfull, and two capable backups (Maguire and Clarke). Which of Green and Zorko are average, mediocre or has-beens in the case of Taylor, or Adcock, Golby and Harwood in the case of Cutler? Adcock's the only one of those over 24 and Harwood's the only one that wouldn't walk into most other teams. If Cutler and Taylor are any good they'll beat out their competition.

As for the kids that nicked off, Yeo got games. Doc got games. Polec was injured or coming back from injury most of the time, and was repeatedly rushed into the team once back from injury. Longer should have gotten more games. Karnezis was dicked around a bit but isn't a huge loss. So one out of five, but hey, keep parroting mindless talking points because your SC rookies aren't playing. :thumbsu:

WTF? Gardiner and McStay are KPDs - they take longer to mature, in an area where we do have two of the best defenders going around in Merrett and Patfull, and two capable backups (Maguire and Clarke). Which of Green and Zorko are average, mediocre or has-beens in the case of Taylor, or Adcock, Golby and Harwood in the case of Cutler? Adcock's the only one of those over 24 and Harwood's the only one that wouldn't walk into most other teams. If Cutler and Taylor are any good they'll beat out their competition.

As for the kids that nicked off, Yeo got games. Doc got games. Polec was injured or coming back from injury most of the time, and was repeatedly rushed into the team once back from injury. Longer should have gotten more games. Karnezis was dicked around a bit but isn't a huge loss. So one out of five, but hey, keep parroting mindless talking points because your SC rookies aren't playing. :thumbsu:

The opinions expressed are my own. You just keep parroting what all the other sheep on the Brissy team board think about your list/best 22

Bolded are senior players on your list that fall in one or more of the average, medicore, has-been & spud categories.

Luke
McGuane

Ryan
Harwood

Brent
Moloney

Jack
Crisp

Josh
Green

Jed
Adcock

Rohan
Bewick

Ashley
McGrath

Stefan
Martin

Trent
West

Jonathan
Brown

Jordan
Lisle

James
Polkinghorne

Andrew
Raines

Ryan
Lester

Matt
Maguire

Quite a few "best 22" players there :rainbow:

The opinions expressed are my own. You just keep parroting what all the other sheep on the Brissy team board think about your list/best 22

Bolded are senior players on your list that fall in one or more of the average, medicore, has-been & spud categories.

Luke
McGuane

Ryan
Harwood

Brent
Moloney

Jack
Crisp

Josh
Green

Jed
Adcock

Rohan
Bewick

Ashley
McGrath

Stefan
Martin

Trent
West

Jonathan
Brown

Jordan
Lisle

James
Polkinghorne

Andrew
Raines

Ryan
Lester

Matt
Maguire

Which categories do each fall into? Please enlighten me, a mere ignorant person who actually watches Brisbane games. I have less than half of those in my best 22. Also, which ones are potentially holding out Cutler and Taylor?

Going off your theory we have an amazing number of shit players for a team that only missed out on Carlton's final spot by two games decided by one point in the last week.

Which categories do each fall into? Please enlighten me, a mere ignorant person who actually watches Brisbane games. I have less than half of those in my best 22. Also, which ones are potentially holding out Cutler and Taylor?

Take your rose coloured glasses off and it will be clear as daylight.

I don't know enough about Cutler, so won't comment on his position. However, I would give Taylor a go ahead of any of Bewick, McGrath, Green, Polkinghorne all of whom were regulars in your 22 last year.

Take your rose coloured glasses off and it will be clear as daylight.

Sorry, I don't bother making other people's half-arsed arguments for them.

I don't know enough about Cutler, so won't comment on his position. However, I would give Taylor a go ahead of any of Bewick, McGrath, Green, Polkinghorne all of whom were regulars in your 22 last year.

I'd agree on Polkinghorne (not in my best 22), probably on Bewick, maybe on McGrath depending on form (those two are borderline best 22), and no on Green. See, that wasn't that hard. But once more, if he's as good as he's being talked up to be he should have no trouble outplaying borderline best 22 players.

Jed Adcock is hardly in any of those categories.

If he played for one of the top teams he would be a tagger...borderline best 22 at best in a good team. At Brissy though = Capt. Says a lot about their list quality. Surprised they didn't give the capataincy to Rocky, TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any of these guys a chance to average 75-85 with good job security or someone else in the under 300k band of defenders? I already have Matt Suckling.

Strauss,
Docherty,
Alex Johnson,
Plowman,
Buntine,
Shaw,
Schoenmakers,
Sutcliffe,
Thurlow,
D.Grimes,
Webster,
Nathan Wright?

The 2 bolded are a chance, Grimes will probably only average 65 - 70 though.

Schoenmakers will average at least 80 and has good job security.

Any of these guys a chance to average 75-85 with good job security or someone else in the under 300k band of defenders? I already have Matt Suckling.

Strauss,
Docherty,
Alex Johnson,
Plowman,
Buntine,
Shaw,
Schoenmakers,
Sutcliffe,
Thurlow,
D.Grimes,
Webster,
Nathan Wright?

Sutcliffe could average in that range if he can shake of the green vest.

Which categories do each fall into? Please enlighten me, a mere ignorant person who actually watches Brisbane games.
Because no-one else here ever watches Brisbane games.......

FWIW, I watched every single home and away season game last year bar one round when I was in Malaysia and forgot to record them, just saying..

Luke
McGuane

Ryan
Harwood

Brent
Moloney

Jack
Crisp

Josh
Green

Jed
Adcock

Rohan
Bewick

Ashley
McGrath

Stefan
Martin

Trent
West

Jonathan
Brown

Jordan
Lisle

James
Polkinghorne

Andrew
Raines

Ryan
Lester

Matt
Maguire

Harwood, Moloney, Green, Adcock all deserve to be in the 22. It seems like you don't know much about Brisbane...

Strauss,
Docherty,
Alex Johnson,
Plowman,
Buntine,
Shaw,
Schoenmakers,
Sutcliffe,
Thurlow,
D.Grimes,
Webster,
Nathan Wright?

With good job security, I'd back Shaw or Sutcliffe assuming he isn't vested.

Harwood, Moloney, Green, Adcock all deserve to be in the 22. It seems like you don't know much about Brisbane...

Actually I know a lot about Brisbane. They've been my 2nd team since '95 and I do watch more of their games than any other opposition team. Just because you disagree with what I think doesn't make my assessment of some of their players any less valid. As for the players you mentioned being good enough to be in their best 22 says more about their weak list than those players actual playing ability. Moloney wasn't even good enough to get a regular game in a terrible Dees team FFS and when he did he was terrible. Brisbane's midfield rotation was arguably better without him.

Because no-one else here ever watches Brisbane games.......

FWIW, I watched every single home and away season game last year bar one round when I was in Malaysia and forgot to record them, just saying..

If he watched Brisbane games he wouldn't have included a fair chunk of that list of names or at a minimum would've had the guts to say which he felt were falling into each category to allow people to have a meaningful discussion rather than trying to get others to make his argument for him. FWIW you weren't the one I was replying to but good for you, just saying. :thumbsu:

For the record, cotter and I were giving plenty of info on Brisbane rookies only to start having the club suffer an off-topic rant by one of the people asking for assistance. Of course I'm not going sit and take it - that's why I'm a Brisbane supporter. And you wonder why people move off on to other forums/private discussion forums.

Actually I know a lot about Brisbane. They've been my 2nd team since '95 and I do watch more of their games than any other opposition team. Just because you disagree with what I think doesn't make my assessment of some of their players any less valid. As for the players you mentioned being good enough to be in their best 22 says more about their weak list than those players actual playing ability. Moloney wasn't even good enough to get a regular game in a terrible Dees team FFS and when he did he was terrible. Brisbane's midfield rotation was arguably better without him.

Moloney not being able to get a game in the Dees team had a lot to do with him not getting along with the coach. Ever had a boss who you absolutely hated, so you did the minimum amount of work, or pretty much just quit? That was Moloney's situation, he's still a pretty good player. Adcock is still a good player, Harwood is very underrated by a lot of people. As for Green, he's a bit hot and cold and I can definitely give you that one.

Luke
McGuane

Ryan
Harwood

Brent
Moloney

Jack
Crisp

Josh
Green

Jed
Adcock

Rohan
Bewick

Ashley
McGrath

Stefan
Martin

Trent
West

Jonathan
Brown

Jordan
Lisle

James
Polkinghorne

Andrew
Raines

Ryan
Lester

Matt
Maguire

Adcock, Brown, Green, Moloney would walk into most teams.

Moloney not being able to get a game in the Dees team had a lot to do with him not getting along with the coach. Ever had a boss who you absolutely hated, so you did the minimum amount of work, or pretty much just quit? That was Moloney's situation, he's still a pretty good player. Adcock is still a good player, Harwood is very underrated by a lot of people. As for Green, he's a bit hot and cold and I can definitely give you that one.

I've had a few bosses like that and no I'm a professional, I still did my job to the best of my ability, looked for another job and left with a reference. Come on, do you remember 186? He was probably the worst out of the whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back