List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to start is this year. If we're serious about fixing the list from the bottom up - you gotta let Gibbs go. It would be shocking if we finish higher than 14th which would make Gibbs' compensation extremely valuable. Start with the KPP - don't do it backwards like last time.

I think we will finish 8th to 13.

Brisbane, Melbourne, St Kilda, Bulldogs will most likely round out the bottom 4.

The sad reality is - that he might not want to sign on anyway. If he's wanting meetings with club officials to find out the direction of the club, the on field lack of success must be a detriment to the probability that he wants an extension.

Well for his sake I hope he signs with Port.

I think we will finish 8th to 13.

Brisbane, Melbourne, St Kilda, Bulldogs will most likely round out the bottom 4.

Still hard to say with all the inconsistency across the comp. Not just with us.

We may very well finish below Saints, Doggies due to the difficulty of our draw.

Still hard to say with all the inconsistency across the comp. Not just with us.

We may very well finish below Saints, Doggies due to the difficulty of our draw.

good point... I suspect we will finish anywhere from 8th to 14th.

Time to start is this year. If we're serious about fixing the list from the bottom up - you gotta let Gibbs go. It would be shocking if we finish higher than 14th which would make Gibbs' compensation extremely valuable. Start with the KPP - don't do it backwards like last time.
We don't want and need to finish no higher than 14th to get decent talent. There's always decent talent around in every draft. Only have to look at the players taken after our number one picks. We need to win games to keep all of our players. Menzel and Yarran are uncontracted.

ATM, our midfield is Murphy, Gibbs, Mclean, Thomas and Curnow. Plus Cripps and Graham for the future. Yet spme are openly talking about letting Gibbs go. So we can't just go for broke and look for talls like Essendon. Their mids are Watson, Goddard, Stanton, Heppell, Myers, Melksham and Zaharakis. Meh. First two veterans plus Chapman are veterans are like Simpson and Scotland. Lack midfield depth after the Saints rolled them.

IF
we have two top ten picks, then I wouldn't hesitate to draft another Murphy and Kennedy. Needs come second to getting the right talent into a club. Players with want, attitude and leadership. Types who leave everything on the park and don't like to lose.

We don't want and need to finish no higher than 14th to get decent talent. There's always decent talent around in every draft. Only have to look at the players taken after our number one picks. We need to win games to keep all of our players. Menzel and Yarran are uncontracted.

ATM, our midfield is Murphy, Gibbs, Mclean, Thomas and Curnow. Plus Cripps and Graham for the future. Yet spme are openly talking about letting Gibbs go. So we can't just go for broke and look for talls like Essendon. Their mids are Watson, Goddard, Stanton, Heppell, Myers, Melksham and Zaharakis. Meh. First two veterans plus Chapman are veterans are like Simpson and Scotland. Lack midfield depth after the Saints rolled them.
IF we have two top ten picks, then I wouldn't hesitate to draft another Murphy and Kennedy. Needs come second to getting the right talent into a club. Players with want, attitude and leadership. Types who leave everything on the park and don't like to lose.

Can't argue with a word of that mate. Well said.

So we can't just go for broke and look for talls like Essendon. Their mids are Watson, Goddard, Stanton, Heppell, Myers, Melksham and Zaharakis. Meh.
How have Essendon gone for broke looking for talls when you've just listed 5 1st rounders in that midfield. There's a balance.

How have Essendon gone for broke looking for talls when you've just listed 5 1st rounders in that midfield. There's a balance.
Darcy Daniher, Jay Neagle, Scott Gumbleton, Tayte Pears, Cale Hooker, Jake Carlisle, Michael Hurley, Joe Daniher, Tom Bellchambers. I reckon I have missed a couple of others who have also been moved on.

EFC supporters were bragging a couple of years ago about having completed their spine & having their rucks sorted therefore being able to focus on recruiting mids, yet the first 3 players I listed are all gone, Pears is on the outer & Carlisle is stinking it up. Further to the above players they have also drafted Sean Gregory & Fraser Thurlow over the last couple of years. Their recruiting of talls has not been any more successful than ours, particularly given 3 of them have fallen into their laps as F/S picks therefore they keep returning to the well looking for more talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Daniher, Jay Neagle, Scott Gumbleton, Tayte Pears, Cale Hooker, Jake Carlisle, Michael Hurley, Joe Daniher, Tom Bellchambers. I reckon I have missed a couple of others who have also been moved on.

EFC supporters were bragging a couple of years ago about having completed their spine & having their rucks sorted therefore being able to focus on recruiting mids, yet the first 3 players I listed are all gone, Pears is on the outer & Carlisle is stinking it up. Further to the above players they have also drafted Sean Gregory & Fraser Thurlow over the last couple of years. Their recruiting of talls has not been any more successful than ours, particularly given 3 of them have fallen into their laps as F/S picks therefore they keep returning to the well looking for more talls.

Courtney Johns.... lest we forget.

Their elite mids are veterans. Don't have a Murphy, Selwood or Pendlebury who all knocked off an AA guernseys and/or the AFLCA Award before they turned 25. Daylight between Heppell and the likes of Zaharakis, Melksham and Myers.

Wasted the Motlop pick on Prismall.
There was a rumour posted on BF they were even after Trengove before Port pounced. Even drafted Michael Still with pick 55 in the 2008 draft. Wasted pick 39 on Prismall.

Reckon they would be better off with Talia and Fyfe instead of Melksham and Carlisle. Mark Williams trade cost them pick 16 that went to Port for Burgoyne. Oh, the irony.

IF we have two top ten picks, then I wouldn't hesitate to draft another Murphy and Kennedy. Needs come second to getting the right talent into a club. Players with want, attitude and leadership. Types who leave everything on the park and don't like to lose.

Essendon have been rebuilding for over a decade now and haven't won a final since 2004???

I'd rather follow the model of more successful teams and completely ignore what the Bombers are doing.

Very mediocre side.

Brock is 28. How long does he have left? Next year? The year after?

If we do bottom out this year, we will have an uber easy draw next year, so keeping some senior guys is sensible.

I'm not sure of the value of keeping brock around much longer. I don't think he's awful but considering his age, pace and contract cost, I'd let him walk at the end of the contract.

Getting plenty of kids around the list while keeping our best 18 (except maybe gibbs).

There are plenty of late diamonds every year. Need to strike bit lucky for a few years.

Just for fun. And hypothetical. Lets look at our list for say... 2018?

Assuming no one is traded atm.

FB: Bootsma (24) - Watson (25) - McInnes (25)

HB: Buckley (25) - Giles (23) - Docherty (25)

C: Thomas (30) - Cripps (23) - Graham (24)

HF: Menzel (24) - Henderson (28) - Yarran (27)

FF: Walker (31) - Casboult (28) - Garlett (28)

Foll: Kruezer (28) - Gibbs (29) - Murphy (30)

Simpson (33) Everitt (28) Holman (23) Tuohy (28) Lucas (26) Temay (24) Bell (26)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

Back