List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just my interpretation of an article, but thanks for the info.

I'm just not liking how the system is going to look. I'd like you thoughts given your expertise.
It's good with the academy players who are coming through because they are expecting roughly 4-5 coming through every year. But with the F/S selections I think that it is a nightmare waiting to happen. There are not that many father/son selections coming through regardless of what the AFL wants to think.

No kid whose father played for a club wants to go into the draft and possibly be picked up by another club. Imagine if this system had been in place when GAJ went through the system... or Hawkins and another club came along and decided that they were worth considerably higher picks than the Geebungs decided to use on them. You could have seen GAJ going to WCE if the weagles had decided to toss a first round pick in the middle and the Geebungs decided that Gary wasnt worth that much. Admittedly, GAJ might have only spent a couple of years there before the end of his first contract, but thats time that the weagles spent developing him. And if Geelong finished lower than the weagles 2 years later, he could have just walked out as a "**** you for stealing me" and entered the PSD and unless another club wanted to spend a pick lower than the Geebungs pick, and pay the stupid amount that he would have demanded for a 1 year contract, the Geebungs would have finally got their F/S.

Father/Son selections should still be done before the trade period. I don't care what whinging little w***ers like the Shockers or Port Powerpuff girls think. They have their deals in place to get father/sons from the WAFL/SANFL clubs associated with them. Maybe the numbers should be moved around so that they can get the son of a guy who played 100 games for them rather than the 250 that it used to be (Adelaide screamed that they were being screwed when they were not allowed to get Gibbs).

Thats why I think that if another club with a lower first round pick than ours wants to play silly buggers with either SOSOS or Rice, they can have them for a first round pick and we will take them back in 2 years time after they have finished developing over that period. And I think that the club would be sufficiently pissed off that they would play serious hardball with the w***ers who stole our F/S.

With nice players we may not have smashed them but when we did take possession, the kicks would be good.

Plenty of nice kicks that don't have the necessary attributes to make the game.
We have four great kicks in the 2's at the moment in Fields, Watson, Jaksch and Viojo-Rainbow.

It's not easy getting the right balance but yes, our disposal is pretty ordinary at times.

Our skills didn't look too bad against Port and GC (goal kicking aside).

The dogs game was a bit of a farce, both teams having a bunch of young and inexperienced players, plus the way they were setting up structurally, led to a poor skills game. Both sides skills was sub par and even the better players from both teams were poor. Robert Murphy missed several targets by foot he would normally hit, Dalhause missed a sitter 20m on a slight angle etc

Wouldn't read too much into the dogs game.

It's good with the academy players who are coming through because they are expecting roughly 4-5 coming through every year. But with the F/S selections I think that it is a nightmare waiting to happen. There are not that many father/son selections coming through regardless of what the AFL wants to think.

No kid whose father played for a club wants to go into the draft and possibly be picked up by another club. Imagine if this system had been in place when GAJ went through the system... or Hawkins and another club came along and decided that they were worth considerably higher picks than the Geebungs decided to use on them. You could have seen GAJ going to WCE if the weagles had decided to toss a first round pick in the middle and the Geebungs decided that Gary wasnt worth that much. Admittedly, GAJ might have only spent a couple of years there before the end of his first contract, but thats time that the weagles spent developing him. And if Geelong finished lower than the weagles 2 years later, he could have just walked out as a "**** you for stealing me" and entered the PSD and unless another club wanted to spend a pick lower than the Geebungs pick, and pay the stupid amount that he would have demanded for a 1 year contract, the Geebungs would have finally got their F/S.

Father/Son selections should still be done before the trade period. I don't care what whinging little ******s like the Shockers or Port Powerpuff girls think. They have their deals in place to get father/sons from the WAFL/SANFL clubs associated with them. Maybe the numbers should be moved around so that they can get the son of a guy who played 100 games for them rather than the 250 that it used to be (Adelaide screamed that they were being screwed when they were not allowed to get Gibbs).

Thats why I think that if another club with a lower first round pick than ours wants to play silly buggers with either SOSOS or Rice, they can have them for a first round pick and we will take them back in 2 years time after they have finished developing over that period. And I think that the club would be sufficiently pissed off that they would play serious hardball with the ******s who stole our F/S.

I reckon you can't be as absolute as that. People can have complex relationships with their family and sometimes they may not want to "follow in the footsteps"

I think it was Jay Neagle who had a strained relationship with his father, didn't talk etc. Took the F/S, but I don't think it was because he was enamoured with the idea of following his dad

Didn't our very own captain do just that? Decide to go into the draft instead of heading straight to Brissie?
True but Brisbane are not Fitzroy no matter how much the say they are.

As much as I want to win I always have that glass half full feeling that we may as well bottom right out than finish half way up the ladder. 3rd last at the moment with Essendon v Melbourne to play off tomorrow so one of those teams will move 2 games clear of us. If Ablett last week is a sign of Gold Coasts turn in form then they may go past us meaning we could finish 2nd last and be in line for Weitering or Schache. The other positive with St Kilda having that big win last week was they will finish above us most likely which means if Rice wants to come to us and they bid their 2nd rounder (which will come after our 2nd rounder) we will only have to give up our 3rd round pick for him. It could turn out to be a really good draft for us with a top 4 pick, pick 19-22, a discounted Rice in the 3rd round and then hopefully Silvagni to drop down to our 4th round pick.

I think we need to find a suitor for Yarran as well. Hes up side is elite but hes proven to be too unstable. Its not professional. We might be able to get another pick in the top 5 for him before he becomes a free agent and walks. Heres a trade suggestion - Yarran and pick 2-4 (wherever we end up and assuming Brisbane finish last) for pick #1 + Aish. That would mean we could secure Weitering as our contigency plan for Jamison as well as getting some more outside run.

With the games we have coming up I reckon we'll finish 17th. Gold Coast are getting their players back and will win a couple more before years end.

Brisbane will probably pick Schache leaving Weitering for us.

In this scenario... is Henderson being a A-Grade CHB but an inconsistent CHF necessary?

With the games we have coming up I reckon we'll finish 17th. Gold Coast are getting their players back and will win a couple more before years end.

Brisbane will probably pick Schache leaving Weitering for us.

In this scenario... is Henderson being a A-Grade CHB but an inconsistent CHF necessary?
Its a good problem to have. You could look at it this way though - our backline is strengthened whcih means we can rely upon whos back there. This constitues to players not having to go back and help so we have more support and run through the midfield, which means Hendo is going to get an easier run at it forward than what we are currently doing which is not getting the ball there quick enough meaning he cant work his opponent over, his oppoent is getting support and all we are doing week in, week out is bombing it to the top of the square and hoping. Defenders just block his run at the ball and another defender is marking unopposed. I dont think Hendos hot and cold up forward, I think we just need to get the team balance right so we can give him better inside 50 entries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finish 17th, get Weitering.. trade Yarran and Henderson.. use one oof those picks for Charlie Dixon and we have our CHB and CHF for the next decade..

if we some how rose a couple of spots on the ladder i'd be keen on Charlie Curnow, very Cripps like IMO
Does anyone think we will put a bid on Callum Mills?

Finish 17th, get Weitering.. trade Yarran and Henderson.. use one oof those picks for Charlie Dixon and we have our CHB and CHF for the next decade..
Dixon will be 25yo this year. Too old. No quick fixes, we must go to the draft unless a young kpf drop on our laps like Boyd did at the dogs. Trade Yarran and Gibbs and keep Hendo.

Assuming we finish second last and Lions finish last it might be Veale Deal time

Lions get first pick and JW is the best player but Schache's dad played for Lions so the lad prob wants to go there

And JW would like to stay in Vic

But you take best available so Lions would have to take JW surely?

Unless we throw in a sweetener

MAybe we pay overs for Aish

Rub your back rub my balls

SOS might talk a bit daft but he's no dummy

And he wants a LT gig for sure

That means a LT rebuild

Which means youth

Remember that's his forte - lots of good picks

Which means they probably still will try to explore selling off multiple assets

Yarran is just about certain to go now. He's shown time and time again he lacks mental fibre. Right now they'd take a pick around 18-22 for him I reckon so long as they get a kid they think is a genuine good prospect and there's prob going to be some at that range

They won't sell MK though as he's the heart n soul and plays like a leader

I still think BG could yet be sold if the price was right

Ditto Henderson

If we're in a position to secure Weitering you'd think SOS wouldn't have any incentive to keep Henderson. If he can trade Lachie, who turns 26 years end, for a mid first rounder... we'd be able to have a crack at one of the best midfielders in the draft. Maybe a slide such as the likes of Curnow, Mathieson or Clarke.

Also with Buckley hitting his straps and now Byrne looking likely it will be surprising if Yarran isn't traded. Would he fetch a first round compensation if he he stays one more year? I doubt it. I'd suspect a team such as Adelaide, Richmond or Footscray to finish top 8 and offer their first rounder (presumable 12-16) with a sweetener from our end. That would leave our own first round pick 1-3 and two later first rounders... say 10 and 16.

Henderson i doubt it is up to us, he hasnt re signed despite being offered a new deal last summer. He wants out and we just need to maximise what we get for him.

Yarran is contracted, but I agree looks likely to be going.. will have plenty of suitors.

If they both get us first round picks then SOS will be rubbing his hands together with 4 picks in the top 20.

Omfg all these armchair experts that know about these players intentions. ABSOLUTE BULLDUST.
You know nothing. Stop pretending you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back