List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't agree more.

If we have to trade Henderson and Yarran out while they still have value for long term success I'm fine with that.

3 picks in top 15 would be a dream
That's when you load up on talls
How good would it be to nab Weitering, Weiderman and Curnow ?!

A lot of kids at U18s end up playing totally diff positions when they mature at AFL

One thing that appeals is Curnow and Francis are both low 190cms and both have been said to be able to play onball

These days tall big bodied Mids are like Gold

Look at Cripps and Fyfe etc

Wouldn't mind Francis and Curnow types initially hoping they'll grow a bit more and become KPP but if not onball could be a good Plan B

Yeh I know, combination of shoddy journolism and general assumption, and just so you know, I wasn't having a go, just trying to shed some light.

Cheers for the kind words, have always taken interest in the draft, ramped It up this year though. Which happened to work out quite well considering the season we've had.

Since there's at least 1 person who reads my player reports:
Went down to Wlliamstown today to watch Calder v Jets. Absolute pig of a day which didn't provide a great footy spectical (Jets are also awful in general), but 2 players were a class above -

Callum Moore - showed plenty playing KPF/second ruck. Plays with agression and intent, athletically outstanding, versatile, takes contested marks (in a monsoon), ruck work good (although he's not tall enough to do it at AFL level), good disposal.... Only thing he didn't do was hit the scoreboard. He's got a great frame and I reckon he's a likely type. Still a bit of an enigma and probably won't go around a pick we have (and aren't using on a fs) unless we reach at our second, but I can see him going slightly after that.

Other one was Hashim Kerbatieh. Again realistically he falls at a pick we don't have and probably isn't high on the needs list, but still, I like him. Played more in the midfield than he did at the champs and was class. Competitive beast offensively, attacks the loose ball like Cyril. Has that real energy and power that I love in a player, and if he can build his tank, add to his defensive work and play more mid minutes he's going to be a steal for someone. Buckets of x-factor.

...and for those interested... O'kearney only played the first half and had a stinker.

Cheers all!
How did Jackson Volpato play?

3 picks in top 15 would be a dream
That's when you load up on talls
How good would it be to nab Weitering, Weiderman and Curnow ?!

Not every player we draft is going to be a gun though.

It's more about hedging our bets although Hawthorn had plenty of success by drafting Roughead and Franklin together.

Yeh I know, combination of shoddy journolism and general assumption, and just so you know, I wasn't having a go, just trying to shed some light.

Cheers for the kind words, have always taken interest in the draft, ramped It up this year though. Which happened to work out quite well considering the season we've had.

Since there's at least 1 person who reads my player reports:
Went down to Wlliamstown today to watch Calder v Jets. Absolute pig of a day which didn't provide a great footy spectical (Jets are also awful in general), but 2 players were a class above -

Callum Moore - showed plenty playing KPF/second ruck. Plays with agression and intent, athletically outstanding, versatile, takes contested marks (in a monsoon), ruck work good (although he's not tall enough to do it at AFL level), good disposal.... Only thing he didn't do was hit the scoreboard. He's got a great frame and I reckon he's a likely type. Still a bit of an enigma and probably won't go around a pick we have (and aren't using on a fs) unless we reach at our second, but I can see him going slightly after that.

Other one was Hashim Kerbatieh. Again realistically he falls at a pick we don't have and probably isn't high on the needs list, but still, I like him. Played more in the midfield than he did at the champs and was class. Competitive beast offensively, attacks the loose ball like Cyril. Has that real energy and power that I love in a player, and if he can build his tank, add to his defensive work and play more mid minutes he's going to be a steal for someone. Buckets of x-factor.

...and for those interested... O'kearney only played the first half and had a stinker.

Cheers all!

thought hisham kerbatieh was close to best on ground..he had plenty of it in atrocious conditions..and was influential..i never take notice of the bests on website.it appears pushing the barrell of others..your thoughts?

Weitering and Jaksch on our list would do wonders in sorting out our backline for the next decade as Jamo aint longed for the rigors of AFL much longer me feels. It actually looks like things may fall that way unless we do something stupid like run into some form. Im all for it. Lets put this bad year behind us and ay least take something out of it by playing the kids and getting a bonafide potentially A grader in and reload for next year.

Weitering and Jaksch on our list would do wonders in sorting out our backline for the next decade as Jamo aint longed for the rigors of AFL much longer me feels. It actually looks like things may fall that way unless we do something stupid like run into some form. Im all for it. Lets put this bad year behind us and ay least take something out of it by playing the kids and getting a bonafide potentially A grader in and reload for next year.
Are you trying to tell me their isn't any benefit in playing Tutt and White?

I dont remember saying that. 22 spots in the side. Just saying sink some games into Boek, Whiley, Holman, Jaksch etc. Its points in the bank for next year in terms of experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of kids at U18s end up playing totally diff positions when they mature at AFL

One thing that appeals is Curnow and Francis are both low 190cms and both have been said to be able to play onball

These days tall big bodied Mids are like Gold

Look at Cripps and Fyfe etc

Wouldn't mind Francis and Curnow types initially hoping they'll grow a bit more and become KPP but if not onball could be a good Plan B
On one hand you have Fyfe - on the other you have Watts and Plowman

Its a coin toss with these KPP's who can "play mid as well"

That being said I was a big big fan of Plowman in his draft year and thought he could genuinely do it. He hasnt come on to this extent though. I think he's had some injuries to be fair though

Are you trying to tell me their isn't any benefit in playing Tutt and White?

I'd be saying that with Tutt ... yes. I feel like he is a version of Armfield, in there to provide run, kick the odd gun but not as skilled as others. Army is providing more impact, if not getting as much ball. I would rather try to get Boekhorst's confidence up.

I would say to play Jaksch ahead of White but White is stronger, more versatile and I want Jaksch to learn as a 3rd tall not taking on one of the best 2 forwards from the opposition. Rowe, Jamison and Jaksch down back or if Hendo stays back, send Jaksch or Rowe up forward.

I still want to win and selecting guys who aren't performing when they get their chance seems counter productive to winning but I believe both BB and KJ have more talent. Still 8 games to go .. I don't want to put the cue in the rack but a sustained run of games might set both of these guys up for next year.

I single out BB and KJ ahead of the likes of Whiley because they have a point of difference and their success would help out the side more than another one paced inside mid because we have a few of those.

Last edited:
All you need do is look at yesterdays game.

You had a team who had lost one game for the year torn apart because the Hawks can play a game that the Dockers can't play.

The reason for that is the massive differential in kicking skills and footy smarts. Hawks having the confidence to kick the ball to spots that the Dockers can't , or aren't allowed to, kick to.

Yes, you want KPP's but the Hawks had Lake as their only real quality KPP.

Hawks set up at stoppages and skill by hand and then by foot, just made Freo look second rate ..........and to a large extent the are, not because they can't mark and tackle, but because they can't kick well enough to create options.

So as it stands, we're one win clear of Gold Coast and Brisbane. Looking at the remainder of the season:

Carlton: Freo, Hawthorn, North, Collingwood, Brisbane, Melbourne, GWS, Hawthorn
Brisbane: Melbourne, North, Geelong, Gold Coast, Carlton, Adelaide, Hawthorn, WB
Gold Coast: GWS, Adelaide, West Coast, Brisbane, Richmond, Essendon, Port, Sydney

We've got a run of three winnable games, but play two of them interstate. Brisbane at the Gabba may test us, and I reckon we might get beat. Melbourne down here is 50/50. GWS at Spotless with them playing for a spot in the 8 could be brutal. Let's say we beat Melbourne and lose to GWS, then park the Brisbane game for a minute.

Brisbane are in a similar position, with winnable games against Melbourne, the Suns and us. If they win against Melbourne, they're still a game behind us. Park the other two.

Gold Coast have the best run of the three. GWS could go either way, Richmond, Essendon and Port are all within their reach. Plus the Lions. They beat Essendon and Port at home, and level with us on wins.

Gold Coast - 4 wins
Carlton - 4 wins
Brisbane - 3 wins

Still to play - Brisbane vs. Carlton, Brisbane vs. Gold Coast.

Brisbane play both those games at home. If Brisbane beat us, we could feasibly finish bottom on percentage with potential big losses to Freo, Collingwood and Hawthorn x2. If they beat the Suns too, we'd be all but guaranteed bottom spot.

Still plenty of water to go under the bridge, but even if we have a real crack at the back end of the season - our final spot, and therefore place in the draft, could well hinge on that Brisbane game.

So as it stands, we're one win clear of Gold Coast and Brisbane. Looking at the remainder of the season:

Carlton: Freo, Hawthorn, North, Collingwood, Brisbane, Melbourne, GWS, Hawthorn
Brisbane: Melbourne, North, Geelong, Gold Coast, Carlton, Adelaide, Hawthorn, WB
Gold Coast: GWS, Adelaide, West Coast, Brisbane, Richmond, Essendon, Port, Sydney

We've got a run of three winnable games, but play two of them interstate. Brisbane at the Gabba may test us, and I reckon we might get beat. Melbourne down here is 50/50. GWS at Spotless with them playing for a spot in the 8 could be brutal. Let's say we beat Melbourne and lose to GWS, then park the Brisbane game for a minute.

Brisbane are in a similar position, with winnable games against Melbourne, the Suns and us. If they win against Melbourne, they're still a game behind us. Park the other two.

Gold Coast have the best run of the three. GWS could go either way, Richmond, Essendon and Port are all within their reach. Plus the Lions. They beat Essendon and Port at home, and level with us on wins.

Gold Coast - 4 wins
Carlton - 4 wins
Brisbane - 3 wins

Still to play - Brisbane vs. Carlton, Brisbane vs. Gold Coast.

Brisbane play both those games at home. If Brisbane beat us, we could feasibly finish bottom on percentage with potential big losses to Freo, Collingwood and Hawthorn x2. If they beat the Suns too, we'd be all but guaranteed bottom spot.

Still plenty of water to go under the bridge, but even if we have a real crack at the back end of the season - our final spot, and therefore place in the draft, could well hinge on that Brisbane game.
I don't think you've put enough thought into this...:p

I don't think you've put enough thought into this...:p

Haha - was playing around with the ladder predictor on the AFL website and was surprised to find us ahead of Brisbane only on percentage when I'd mapped out my predictions for the rest of the year.

As Cringle pointed out though, fair chance Brisbane take Schache anyway, so fingers crossed we can pick up Weitering in either scenario.

Haha - was playing around with the ladder predictor on the AFL website and was surprised to find us ahead of Brisbane only on percentage when I'd mapped out my predictions for the rest of the year.

As Cringle pointed out though, fair chance Brisbane take Schache anyway, so fingers crossed we can pick up Weitering in either scenario.
Schache has expressed his feelings in wanting Brisbane as well so Weitering is almost certainly ours, he's going to be special that kid after watching him for Vic country... He's exactly what we need and looks like the type that just doesn't lose contests, can actually kick as well, then it's time to trade yaz and or hendo and try and grab Mckay, he'll be a good 1 me reckons...

As I have been ignorant of most things non-Carlton for most of my football supporting life, can someone answer me this... When was the last time a KPD was picked up at no.1 in the draft and did he end up being one of the premier backmen in the league?

Of the current day players:
Alex Rance appears to be considered to be the best backman in the league at the moment (debatable I'm sure) and he went pick 18 in 2007.
Tom McDonald (???) pick 53, 2011.
Hurley seems to be the highest pick of the current decentish backmen... pick 5, 2008.
Easton Wood pick 43, 2007 (it could be just me but I don't really remember this guy doing anything particulalry flash before this year... Does M. Watson picked at 18 in 2010 get as much time to develop?)... and then there's...
Malceski, pick 64, 2002... has been a premier backman for a few years
Brian Lake was pick 71, 2001...
Harry Taylor was pick 17, 2007 but turned 18 in 2004...

Matthew Scarlett was pick 45 in 1997...

Looking at this obviously incomplete list, I'm seeing a trend... and it is what is always said about talls, they take a long time to develop... I suspect that it's a rare thing to be a decent backman before 25 years of age...

Can anyone add more to this story, or counter?

SOS was obviously a father/son and I don't know when he would have been drafted... he won Carlton's b&f in 1990 as a 23 y.o. and then again in 1996 as a 29 y.o... His best game was arguably the '95 Grand Final...

As I have been ignorant of most things non-Carlton for most of my football supporting life, can someone answer me this... When was the last time a KPD was picked up at no.1 in the draft and did he end up being one of the premier backmen in the league?

Of the current day players:
Alex Rance appears to be considered to be the best backman in the league at the moment (debatable I'm sure) and he went pick 18 in 2007.
Tom McDonald (???) pick 53, 2011.
Hurley seems to be the highest pick of the current decentish backmen... pick 5, 2008.
Easton Wood pick 43, 2007 (it could be just me but I don't really remember this guy doing anything particulalry flash before this year... Does M. Watson picked at 18 in 2010 get as much time to develop?)... and then there's...
Malceski, pick 64, 2002... has been a premier backman for a few years
Brian Lake was pick 71, 2001...
Harry Taylor was pick 17, 2007 but turned 18 in 2004...

Matthew Scarlett was pick 45 in 1997...

Looking at this obviously incomplete list, I'm seeing a trend... and it is what is always said about talls, they take a long time to develop... I suspect that it's a rare thing to be a decent backman before 25 years of age...

Can anyone add more to this story, or counter?

SOS was obviously a father/son and I don't know when he would have been drafted... he won Carlton's b&f in 1990 as a 23 y.o. and then again in 1996 as a 29 y.o... His best game was arguably the '95 Grand Final...

Question might be whether we see Weitering as a backman long term, or if we think he could translate his skills to the forward line ala Jeremy Cameron or Jarryd Roughead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back