List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still a lot of footy to be played this year but Saint big win today puts them 2 games clear of us plus a good chunk of percentage. The next team on the ladder is Port so youd think we wouldnt ever win enough games to surpass them meaning we have pretty much guaranteed ourselves a top 5 pick. Id have loved to have finished in the bottom 2 to pick up either Weitering or Schache as by all accounts those 2 guys are gonna go 1, 2. We have improved however and I dont suspect this will occur.

Is there any sense of who is reasonably going to be in that 3-5 range? Silvagnis gonna be our long term KPF prospect and we need to plan to cover Jamison now so do we go for a KPD with this pick? Otherwise do we look at speed? This Ah Chee guy looks like the real stand out this year in the agile, x-factor stakes.

I realise this is pointless as I write this. If Yarran goes we will need an Ah Chee type. If Hendo goes we need to go after a KPF most likely. Pretty excited with this realy early pick though and I guess my main question is there any real stand out talent that you could almost bank will go 3-5 at this stage?
Pick 3 is looking like Aaron Francis from SA & Pick 4 possibly Darcy Parish, the first of the midfielders.

Francis is touted as a potential KP player, but looks more like a 3rd tall. It is hoped that he would also be able to push into the midfield at some stage.

Parish is probably not a lock at Pick 4 (he seems to polarise the keen draft watchers), although the little bits & pieces I have seen & heard of him suggest he will be a player.

I think we got one with young Jack, might be a few years before we get to see him in running out in the number #1 for Carlton though.

A slightly speculative 3rd tall might not play first year on the list. And considering Jack is skinny and very young for draft year, it might add another 12 months to his development.

That way Jack won't be ready to debut until after Walker's contract finishes. He gets the #1, no uncomfortable conversations with Walks. Very clever family planning from SOS and Jo!!!

If he can plan that kind of thing 17 years out, imagine how well he can run our list... :)

Still a lot of footy to be played this year but Saint big win today puts them 2 games clear of us plus a good chunk of percentage. The next team on the ladder is Port so youd think we wouldnt ever win enough games to surpass them meaning we have pretty much guaranteed ourselves a top 5 pick. Id have loved to have finished in the bottom 2 to pick up either Weitering or Schache as by all accounts those 2 guys are gonna go 1, 2. We have improved however and I dont suspect this will occur.

Is there any sense of who is reasonably going to be in that 3-5 range? Silvagnis gonna be our long term KPF prospect and we need to plan to cover Jamison now so do we go for a KPD with this pick? Otherwise do we look at speed? This Ah Chee guy looks like the real stand out this year in the agile, x-factor stakes.

I realise this is pointless as I write this. If Yarran goes we will need an Ah Chee type. If Hendo goes we need to go after a KPF most likely. Pretty excited with this realy early pick though and I guess my main question is there any real stand out talent that you could almost bank will go 3-5 at this stage?

Charlie Curnow

Pick 3 is looking like Aaron Francis from SA & Pick 4 possibly Darcy Parish, the first of the midfielders.

Francis is touted as a potential KP player, but looks more like a 3rd tall. It is hoped that he would also be able to push into the midfield at some stage.

Parish is probably not a lock at Pick 4 (he seems to polarise the keen draft watchers), although the little bits & pieces I have seen & heard of him suggest he will be a player.

Early days long way to go until rnd 23

I haven't seen Curnow play, but I really like what I see with Francis. He has very good skills with ability to read the play and shows versatility. Looks like he can play tall and small. The modern day utility type player for sure. Some of his body language was off putting in the game against VIC Country, but I wouldn't read too much into that as his crow eating team mates were making some silly mistakes. Then he was thrown onto a rampaging Shache who was receiving great delivery due to lack of up field pressure.

Weitering reminds me of Jamison without the injured shoulder but slightly taller. If Hendo remains and is played a CHB then a draftee like Weitering is not the highest priority. No doubt the young man will be a good player. If Hendo stays and plays forward then Weitering will be a good choice too.

The modern game demands multiple scoring avenues so the need for a full forward is not as important in todays game. Do you see how they line up in the forward line nowadays. All in a line or just one big pack congesting around mid forward area.

Priority for drafting I would think are players with a package of elite foot and hand skills, pace off the mark with sustained speed a bonus, good decision making, strong body, good training and work ethic with heaps of room to build endurance.

I would think that Carlton needs to pick players with elite skills more than go for position needs. Sure footed and sure minded type players are the go regardless of height.

Agree.

Francis would be my choice for #3 also, think he could be a great addition to our tall midfield in time.

.. then again, I was a Cale Morton fan pre draft.

While we're admitting things....I thought Shaun Grigg was going to be an elite mid...

The plan is simple:

1. Finish last

2. Yarran signs elsewhere

3. AFL does us a solid and gives us pick 2

4. Draft Weitering & Schache

Note: this is written in jest - I understand the likelihood is slim to none.

While we're admitting things....I thought Shaun Grigg was going to be an elite mid...

The plan is simple:

1. Finish last

The plan is simple:

1. Finish last

Mr borat... Likelihood is none to none...

Yarran is not a free agent....

A slightly speculative 3rd tall might not play first year on the list. And considering Jack is skinny and very young for draft year, it might add another 12 months to his development.

That way Jack won't be ready to debut until after Walker's contract finishes. He gets the #1, no uncomfortable conversations with Walks. Very clever family planning from SOS and Jo!!!

If he can plan that kind of thing 17 years out, imagine how well he can run our list... :)

Speculative to a point.. But I really like young Jack SOS. He could have sat this years draft out and played really well next year and would have probably cost our first or secound pick.
Recruiters say that the 12 months development from 17 to 18 can be huge.
It's one of the reasons Jacob Weitering is rated so highly, he is around the same age as Jack although much more developed psychically.
Jack will probably get too somewhere around the 194cm by the end of next year.
Which for the way he plays, as a lead up forward is a good size.

He might want to take another number. Like GAJ didn't want his old mans number wanted to be his own man or something.
We all want a SOS clone, but Jack might have different ideas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elite kicking and great decision making players! With a bit of mongrel in them a bonus. Only had to watch last game second quarter against the dogs... Smashed them and butchered the ball!

I'm warming to the idea of drafting Parish or Francis if we finish too high for the best KPP (unlikely).

I'm warming to a top 5 mid regardless. If Hendo stays ... Levi keeps improving ... Giles gets back ... Foster ... Fields ... gun mids feeding them ... certainly need more of everything but a few more class mids will make KPPs life easier.

Looking at the ladder, form of sides above us and below us, we could finish up with a pick anywhere from 1-5.

I'm no draft expert but the top 3 seem KKP locks and Parish seems the best mid in the draft.

We take best available regardless of pick, we need plenty of everything and as harks said earlier we may trade or try and grab a sneaky pre-season draft selection to fill a void

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back