Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Stratton - Lake - Gibson
HB: Birchall - Frawley - Hodge
C: Smith - Mitchell - Hill
HF: Sicily - Gunston - Breust
FF: Rioli - Roughead - Ceglar
R: McEvoy - Lewis - Shiels
IC: Duryea - Burgoyne - Langford - Suckling

EM/Quality Depth: Schoenmakers - Spangher - Anderson - Puopolo - Whitecross - Woodward - Litherland - Hartung - Sicily

This list is ridiculously deep.

This is pretty tough with so many great players BUT:

I wonder if we'll play Lake, Frawley, Gibson and Stratton down back at the same time? It will be horses for courses.
Burgoyne and Rioli not in some best 18's?
How quickly Whitecross has been forgotten!
Anderson is all potential and still a lot to prove. Surely he's not a walk in for best 22 yet?

I reckon this will be the year we start grooming Stratton to take over from Gibson. So Ben 'no it's now stigmata' Stratton will become the designated 3rd man up and Gibbo will be freed up a bit and play a similar role to Hodge aka doing as he pleases.

Stratton to me is our future CHB, so he needs to start taking some more defensive responsibility as he'll be just about our most senior defender aside from Birchall when Hodge/Lake/Gibbo retire.

Anderson is in no way a walk up start, but on potential alone I reckon can afford to gift him games throughout the year, and IMO he will cement a spot pretty quickly.

stratton lake gibson
birchall frawley burgoyne

smith mitchell hill

langford gunston bruest
anderson roughead rioli (do not move outside 50)

ceglar hodge lewis

mcevoy , shiels, hartung, duryea

puopolo , simpkin, hale, litherland , shoey, spang , o rourke , woody is ridiculously good depth

I tried to make up a best 22, but no matter which way I skewed the team, good players were left out. At one point I thought I had it, until I realised Lewis wasn't in the team, so that meant cutting either Suckling, Puopolo or Shiels.

So here we go: don't shoot me!

B: Duryea Lake Stratton
HB: Birchall Frawley Gibson
C: Smith Lewis Hill
HF: Rioli Gunston Bruest
F: Hale Roughead Burgoyne
R: Ceglar Hodge Mitchell
Int: Langford, Shiels, Puopolo
Sub: Anderson

You could make about a dozen positional changes to this side and you'd lose nothing.

I'll be interested to see if Frawley plays round 1. Clarko has made other recruits earn their spots over the last few years, Gunston, Lake, McEvoy all made to work hard to make the team.

Our depth is amazing, I remember looking at a team poster of our 2012 team, and there was only about 24 players who'd played senior footy in any form - now there would be only be half a dozen guys on the primary list who wouldn't be considered week to week for the one's (and that includes the new draftees)

I would have any of Puopolo, Breust, Hill, Shiels or Smith there with some shuffling. Specifically I'm not sure how you could have Poppy there ahead of Rioli.
They all play different roles and Puopolo has been the designated small forward for the last three years and never been dropped to make way for Rioli? There's also no way Eioli has been a lock on the wing instead of those listed.

Not sure you fully read or comprehended my post anyway. I clearly stated four players in the second 18 who would be on the bench in a match, which included Rioli as one of them, to interchange with midfield and forward line as needed.

They all play different roles and Puopolo has been the designated small forward for the last three years and never been dropped to make way for Rioli? There's also no way Eioli has been a lock on the wing instead of those listed.

Not sure you fully read or comprehended my post anyway. I clearly stated four players in the second 18 who would be on the bench in a match, which included Rioli as one of them, to interchange with midfield and forward line as needed.

Rioli could perform Puopolo's role much better than Puopolo. Rioli can play deep, high, creatively, defensively, inside or reciever. There is no role that Puopolo can do that Rioli can't do better (aside possibly from small defender). I know you had Rioli on the bench but there's no way he isn't in any theoretical first 18. If you can pick any non-KP player in the league to be in a forwardline, by my reckoning you pick Rioli. As for taking out say Hill, you could easily put Shiels on a wing and Burgoyne in the centre, Rioli going to the forward pocket.

Our best side was pretty much our Grand Final side. The only spot I can see open thus far is Frawley in for Spang.

B: Gibson Lake Stratton
HB: Birchall Frawley Hodge
C: Smith Lewis Hill
HF: Burgoyne Gunston Bruest
F: Rioli Roughead Puopolo
R: McEvoy Langford Mitchell
Int: Shiels, Hale Suckling
Sub: Dureya

Simpkin, Anderson, Ceglar Litherland, Shoey, Spang , Woodward, Whitey, Hartung, O'Brien,

One Rung below depth:
O'Rourke, Sicily

Ridiculous depth.

Last edited:
Rioli could perform Puopolo's role much better than Puopolo. Rioli can play deep, high, creatively, defensively, inside or reciever. There is no role that Puopolo can do that Rioli can't do better (aside possibly from small defender). I know you had Rioli on the bench but there's no way he isn't in any theoretical first 18.
Rioli is wasted being just a small forward. He can help out in midfield or forward flank, and since he shouldn't displace anyone he starts on the bench. Simples. Puopolo is one of the best at his role. You're severely underrating a guy that hasn't played less than 20 games a season. Ever.

Anyway, these teams are more about the players, and all I listed as being in the 22 was the GF team with Frawley instead of Spangher, which is the most logical best team for Hawks next season. There's no chance, injury aside, that someone like Sicily suddenly starts on the forward flank instead of Puopolo.

As for taking out say Hill, you could easily put Shiels on a wing and Burgoyne in the centre
No, you couldn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli is wasted being just a small forward. He can help out in midfield or forward flank, and since he shouldn't displace anyone he starts on the bench. Simples. Puopolo is one of the best at his role. You're severely underrating a guy that hasn't played less than 20 games a season. Ever.

Anyway, these teams are more about the players, and all I listed as being in the 22 was the GF team with Frawley instead of Spangher, which is the most logical best team for Hawks next season. There's no chance, injury aside, that someone like Sicily suddenly starts on the forward flank instead of Puopolo.

I'm not under rating Puopolo, I think you're just under rating Rioli. He might be wasted in a forward pocket but he's certainly more so if he isn't in the 18. Rioli definitely displaces Puopolo in a best 18 sense.

No, you couldn't.

And yes, you quite easily could. Shiels often lines up on a wing at centre bounces and Burgoyne is a more than capable centreman.

B - Stratton, Lake, Gibson
HB - Birchall, Frawley, Suckling
M - Hill, Mitchell, Smith
HF - Hodge, Gunston, Rioli
FF - Puopolo, Roughead, Burgoyne

Rucks - McEvoy, Bruest, Lewis

Interchange - Ceglar, Shiels, Langford, Duryea

Very surprised by the amount of people that are omitting Puopolo from the best 22

I thought he was fantastic in the GF. A number of times he had Ted Richards squawking like a b_tch as Pops went mental at the pill when it was on the ground and in dispute.

My quick go at the team, this is ridiculously hard, seems to get harder every year. Our depth is still the best in the league.

FB: Stratton Lake Gibson
C: Hill Mitchell Smith
HF: Breust Gunston Rivoli
FF: Puopolo Roughead Hale
R: McEvoy Lewis Burgoyne

INT: Shiels Suckling Langford Anderson

That 22 gets me really excited!

That's missing Duryea, Litherland, Ceglar, Spangher, Simpkin, Schoenmakers, Hartung, O'Rourke, Woodward, O'Brien.

and of course Whitecross (who would be a best 18 player if not for his knee injuries). If he can gain confidence back in his body and somehow resemble pre knee injury form then he is in my team! Just no idea what to expect from him. May take him a full year or so to really find his feet again.

Sicily to continue to develop and make a real case on 2016, hopefully debuts next year though.

Brand, Heatherley, Tatupu to continue their development. No sure if I'm missing anyone.

My quick go at the team, this is ridiculously hard, seems to get harder every year. Our depth is still the best in the league.

FB: Stratton Lake Gibson
C: Hill Mitchell Smith
HF: Breust Gunston Rioli
FF: Puopolo Roughead Hale
R: McEvoy Lewis Burgoyne

INT: Shiels Suckling Langford Anderson

That 22 gets me really excited!

That's missing Duryea, Litherland, Ceglar, Spangher, Simpkin, Schoenmakers, Hartung, O'Rourke, Woodward, O'Brien.

and of course Whitecross (who would be a best 18 player if not for his knee injuries). If he can gain confidence back in his body and somehow resemble pre knee injury form then he is in my team! Just no idea what to expect from him. May take him a full year or so to really find his feet again.

Sicily to continue to develop and make a real case on 2016, hopefully debuts next year though.

Brand, Heatherley, Tatupu to continue their development. No sure if I'm missing anyone.

This is what I love about our list. It's runs deep. Six of those depth players have played in the finals and three of them are Premiership players. :thumbsu:

god looking at all the teams everyone is putting in just illustrates that great list we have - which will enable us to rest our older brigade Hodge, Mitchell, Lake etc at times throughout the year which once again will hold us in good stead come finals time and at the same time get good game time in to the younger brigade - all I can say in bring on 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview 2015 Best 22 - Your opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back