Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the best you can do this time of year is look at your list and assuming there aren't any black swans between now and round 1 who will definately start, who is a possibility, and who won't be playing short of a bolt from the blue.

Some of you might disagree with where I have drawn the lines, and please debate it, but I really don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to do complete line-ups yet.

Here is my attempt at such a list.

Definitely______Possibly Unlikely
Enright__________Kelly Cowan
Lonergan________Bews Jansen
Taylor Thurlow Kolo
Rivers Blicavs Toohey
Mackie Horlin-Smith Lucey
Duncan Hartman
Guthrie Lang
Caddy Murdoch
Selwood McCarthy
Johnson Clark
Motlop Walker
Stokes Stanley​
Bartel Vardy
Hawkins Menzel
Blease
Macintosh
Simpson
Smedts
Kersten

Last edited:

Went for a side that looked balanced on field.
Not sure the bench looks balanced !
It's good- and I think it's exciting that were all so divided- because t means there are genuinely 30 players that could make a case to be best 22. Personally - I'd LOVE to see Clark ruck. He was AA ruck in 2009- he's mobile athletic and knows how to play AS A RUCKMAN- no "teaching" him as we've done with blitz and even Simpson to a degree (his around te ground stuff) HMAC is cooked. Finished - done. So we need a capable elite or at ruck. And Clark is the only player on our list IMO capable of really being able to own that title. I also really think walker deserves 10 games straight at CHF, with Kersten or Menzel playing the 3rd tall alongside. An finally I'd love to see Hartman play every week. I love his hardness, his size as his second efforts. And he has polish.

It's good- and I think it's exciting that were all so divided- because t means there are genuinely 30 players that could make a case to be best 22. Personally - I'd LOVE to see Clark ruck. He was AA ruck in 2009- he's mobile athletic and knows how to play AS A RUCKMAN- no "teaching" him as we've done with blitz and even Simpson to a degree (his around te ground stuff) HMAC is cooked. Finished - done. So we need a capable elite or at ruck. And Clark is the only player on our list IMO capable of really being able to own that title. I also really think walker deserves 10 games straight at CHF, with Kersten or Menzel playing the 3rd tall alongside. An finally I'd love to see Hartman play every week. I love his hardness, his size as his second efforts. And he has polish.
There's a bit of this post that I disagree with.
But it's the bolded that concerns me.

It suggests that our 30th player 'might' be the equal of our 11th player.
I'd much prefer our top 18 to be absolute locks, with 12 fighting for 4 spots.

Our top 18 isn't anywhere near as good as it was 3 years ago in my opinion.
I could easily pull 5 out of my team and swap them with someone else. It's a concern for me.

I'm a big supporter of Mitch, being in Qld means I've seen a lot of his game time. I also respect the opinion of our snr posters.

Suggest you watch the vids posted of Rhys Stanley and consider his ruck involvement also.

I'm a big supporter of Mitch, being in Qld means I've seen a lot of his game time. I also respect the opinion of our snr posters.

Suggest you watch the vids posted of Rhys Stanley and consider his ruck involvement also.
Im confused by what you're trying to say in this post ? sorry. Can you elaborate please?

Im confused by what you're trying to say in this post ? sorry. Can you elaborate please?
Where is our maniacally laughing emoticon..?

To start, wiser heads than mine have suggested that Mitch may not want to play ruck (if you check my posts you will see that I said he was very good in this position @ Bris)

He is also good as a forward but was limited to some extent in his time @ Bris due to other options there.

I have stated in another thread that I would like to see Rhys Stanley play Ruck/spell forward but that does not mean in any way that I don't believe Mitch can't play ruck!

Enough..? :)

To start, wiser heads than mine have suggested that Mitch may not want to play ruck (if you check my posts you will see that I said he was very good in this position @ Bris)

He is also good as a forward but was limited to some extent in his time @ Bris due to other options there.

I have stated in another thread that I would like to see Rhys Stanley play Ruck/spell forward but that does not mean in any way that I don't believe Mitch can't play ruck!

I see Clark as Ottens mark 2, traded in to be a key forward, but struggling to fulfill the role since he doesn't have the mobility that he used to. After a passionate defense by Scott he will become our number 1 ruckman. Stanley will be the opposite, forced to be our number 1 ruck for lack of other options, when he passes the ruckman job to Clark he will take full advantage of his athleticism especially his large tank and elite mobility for a man of his size, becoming a strong CHF.

Shai, I ask you the same question I have asked others. I would love to see a quote where Clark has said he doesn't want to play ruck. I mean the rumours may be right but until there is anything solid I don't think we should be casting Clark into any particular role.

The only thing I think is clear is that he will spend time forward at some stage. Either as a CHF or as a resting ruckman.

I like Clark as a permanent forward (particularly given his foot problems)…..having Hawk and Clark deep, either side of the square….great options for delivery from the mids…..Stanley at CHF leading up the ground to make space…some pace at their feet to support the two big boys….lots of headaches for opposition back men….…..its an option…

Shai, I ask you the same question I have asked others. I would love to see a quote where Clark has said he doesn't want to play ruck. I mean the rumours may be right but until there is anything solid I don't think we should be casting Clark into any particular role.

The only thing I think is clear is that he will spend time forward at some stage. Either as a CHF or as a resting ruckman.
Damn you like to make it tough, yeah, ok.. quote was not mine re: his ruck reluctance but FWIW here it is -

My original post on the subject (recruiting Mitch)-

Don't know what issues others have with him (his sleeves..?) but he could solve a couple of probs to say the least, very good in the ruck and no slouch forward either!

Reply from MC Extra Dollop -

Giles and Minson are the standouts.

Clark hasn't played as a first ruck in five years. And I also vaguely remember him saying something about not wanting to play in the ruck when he arrived at Melbourne. And unless he can come in and play first ruck, we have little use for him. If he (or Stanley) can come in and be an effective first ruck, then by all means pursue them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie Lonergan Rivers
Enright Taylor Mackie
Motlop Johnson Duncan
Stokes Clark Bartel
Murdoch Hawk Stanley
McIntosh Caddy Selwood
Int: Blitz Kelly Thurlow
Sub: Horlin-Smith
Emerg: Smedts Bews Kersten

Still a pretty good lookin' side I reckon. Top 4 a possibility but if not, 5th or 6th is definitely a realistic target.

I really like this side and my thinking is similar. Would probably make a couple of minor changes if I was picky. My stab at our best side as of now:

Mackie Lonergan Rivers
Enright Taylor Kelly
Motlop Guthrie Duncan
Johnson Clark Stanley
Bartel Hawkins Stokes
McIntosh Caddy Selwood
Int: Thurlow, Bews, Horlin-Smith
Sub: Murdoch
Emerg: Smedts Kersten Lang

I really like this side and my thinking is similar. Would probably make a couple of minor changes if I was picky. My stab at our best side as of now:

Mackie Lonergan Rivers
Enright Taylor Kelly
Motlop Guthrie Duncan
Johnson Clark Stanley
Bartel Hawkins Stokes
McIntosh Caddy Selwood
Int: Thurlow, Bews, Horlin-Smith
Sub: Murdoch
Emerg: Smedts Kersten Lang
The only query I would have with this side is who is going to play the pressure forward role? We need someone who can apply pressure and help keep the ball in our attacking half and I don't see anyone in that forward line who is capable of doing that.

I do like Bews being in the the team though, which allows Guthrie to step into the midfield.

I think Blitz is a bit stiff to miss out in your team. Any reason in particular?

Damn you like to make it tough, yeah, ok.. quote was not mine re: his ruck reluctance but FWIW here it is -

Don't know what issues others have with him (his sleeves..?) but he could solve a couple of probs to say the least, very good in the ruck and no slouch forward either!

Clark hasn't played as a first ruck in five years. And I also vaguely remember him saying something about not wanting to play in the ruck when he arrived at Melbourne. And unless he can come in and play first ruck, we have little use for him. If he (or Stanley) can come in and be an effective first ruck, then by all means pursue them.

When Clark said he did want to Ruck I think it was in the context of being a second ruckman. From memory he made the All Australian squad(top 40) as a number 1 ruckman in 2009 after Leunberger went down with a season ending injury at the start of the year. But the following year despite his good form, Leunberger regained the number one ruck spot on his return and Clark was forced to play as a pinch hitter, a role he didn't like and definitely effected his form as a forward. He probably wouldn't mind being either the number 1 ruckman or a key forward, just doing both effects his performance.

The only query I would have with this side is who is going to play the pressure forward role? We need someone who can apply pressure and help keep the ball in our attacking half and I don't see anyone in that forward line who is capable of doing that.

I do like Bews being in the the team though, which allows Guthrie to step into the midfield.

I think Blitz is a bit stiff to miss out in your team. Any reason in particular?

You're quite right, I hadn't thought of the forward pressure role. Hopefully McCarthy continues to push for a spot and I think others can help to fill that role whilst resting forward (Caddy, Selwood etc). Blitz is unlucky I agree, but I just don't see him as a best 22 player tbh. Full credit to the young man as I think he has handled himself brilliantly given the role was thrust upon him, but I think he just needs more 2nds time to learn the game. It has been a tremendous success story turning an olympic athlete into a footballer, but I think the great story can blind our views a little. I'm just not sure he is quite good enough atm. Just my opinion and I really do hope he makes it as he seems like a great young bloke. I also think that the recruiting of Clark and Stanley has pushed him back a couple of spots, so that has counted against him IMO.

You're quite right, I hadn't thought of the forward pressure role. Hopefully McCarthy continues to push for a spot and I think others can help to fill that role whilst resting forward (Caddy, Selwood etc). Blitz is unlucky I agree, but I just don't see him as a best 22 player tbh. Full credit to the young man as I think he has handled himself brilliantly given the role was thrust upon him, but I think he just needs more 2nds time to learn the game. It has been a tremendous success story turning an olympic athlete into a footballer, but I think the great story can blind our views a little. I'm just not sure he is quite good enough atm. Just my opinion and I really do hope he makes it as he seems like a great young bloke. I also think that the recruiting of Clark and Stanley has pushed him back a couple of spots, so that has counted against him IMO.
I'm sorry, which role would that b..?

I'm sorry, which role would that b..?

Agreed he has had many different roles and again I salute the man as I think he has done tremendously well for us given his background, but I just think he has been pushed back 2 spots with our new recruits. We have a lot of height and to fit them all in for my predicted team, he was one of the players that had to make way.

Thanks. Got it. I have hear people say Clark doesn't wanna play in the ruck by I'm yet to hear it in an interview or read a transcript of it. Also- when you're on yor last chance and you're on $300.000 my personal feelin is you play where you're ****ing told...

Thanks. Got it. I have hear people say Clark doesn't wanna play in the ruck by I'm yet to hear it in an interview or read a transcript of it. Also- when you're on yor last chance and you're on $300.000 my personal feelin is you play where you're ******* told...

I come from an era , when the coach said jump , and the player said how high. Not sure what era Clark is from but one would hope your right. The question is di we get this guy to solve our ruck woes , or did we get him to be a legit forward option.

Reply from MC Extra Dollop -

So all the big footy rumours come from a vague recollection of MC. Utmost respect to MC, but I want something alittle more concrete before I write off Clark as spending time in the ruck.

I come from an era , when the coach said jump , and the player said how high. Not sure what era Clark is from but one would hope your right. The question is di we get this guy to solve our ruck woes , or did we get him to be a legit forward option.
exactly. and mate i think we need him as a ruckman far more than a forward. Walkers finals series has me very excited. He deserves first crack i reckon. And Menzel and Kersten get to fight it out for the 3rd spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back