Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Kolo, Lang, GHS, Kelly

Notable Omissions:

Murdoch: Wanted to like him, quick, left footer, wears my number. Unfortunately even with all that pace seems to get ran down a hell of a lot, and doesn’t seem to use it to chase. McCarthy gets his spot as the young small forward because of a hell of a lot more heart and intensity.

GHS: Just a bit too one paced, probably have enough inside ball winning with caddy & selwood, may ultimately get a reprieve due to the loss of Christensen who did relieve in that role. Toss up Between him and Blease in the last spot.

Just my two cents, I know Menzel is pretty unlikely but gee we would all love to see it.

Happy to answer any questions/abuse.

Believe you're wrong about these 2 but 'spose time will tell.. :)

B: Enright, Lonergan, Rivers

HB: Guthrie, Taylor, Mackie

C: Motlop, Caddy, Duncan

HF:
Stokes, Clark, Bartel

F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Murdoch

Foll: Stanley, Selwood, Johnson

I/C: GHS, , Kelly, Blease

Sub: Blicavs

Emergencies: Smedts, Thurlow
Blitz as the Sub? He is possibly the fittest player in the AFL, he doesn't need to be used that way, nor is he explosive or skilled enough to play the sub role, Bleaae would be a better option early on until he proves himself.

I'm thinking:

HB: Thurlow, Taylor, Mackie
C: Murdoch, Guthrie, Motlop
HF: Johnson, Clark, Bartel
FF: Stokes, Hawkins, Kersten
R: McIntosh, Selwood, Duncan
I/C: Blicavs, Caddy, GHS , Kelly
Emer: Walker, Bews, Jansen

It's early days yet, so I might change my mind once we have some idea of how things are going during the preseason training period next year. Need to see Blease & Stanley play in NAB Cup before I can decide if they're top 22 or not.

Last edited:
its nice to have an alternative to murdoch.
hes not an alternative. Murdoch was massively overrated last year but now that hes put in a half decent season and improved in leaps and bounds on his previous years you all want him out of the side replaced with unprooven players who dont have the same talent or in the case of Blease a player prooven to have less talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking:

B: Enright, Lonegan, Rivers
HB: Thurlow, Taylor, Mackie
C: Kelly, Bartel, Guthrie
HF: Johnson, Clark, Motlop
FF: Stokes, Hawkins, Kersten
R: McIntosh, Selwood, Duncan
I/C: Blicavs, Caddy, McCarthy , Murdoch
Emer: Walker, Bews, Jansen

It's early days yet, so I might change my mind once we have some idea of how things are going during the preseason training period next year. Need to see Blease & Stanley play in NAB Cup before I can decide if they're top 22 or not.
The only problem I've got with this team is that there is no lock down small defender. If Guthrie is going to play in the midfield then Bews has to be in the team otherwise the backline is too imbalanced IMO.

Horlin-Smith is a bit unlucky aswell I would have thought.

HB: Guthrie, Taylor, Mackie
C: Duncan, Selwood, Murdoch
HF: Stokes, Clarke, Motlop
F: Bartel, Hawkins, Thurlow
R: McIntosh, Caddy, SJ
I/C: GHS, Blicavs, Kelly, McCarthy

Emer: Vardy, Kersten, Lang, Bews

I'm presuming Vardy and Menzel will take time, if at all, but I remain hopeful or why are they on the list? If they are fit they will be impossible to keep out of the 22.
The underlined and italicised players are a soft-tissue/form slump away from losing their spots in 2015 IMO but have the class and right to be there if fit and firing early.
I feel McCarthy will be a very important player for us if he decides he's good enough and calms his DE down. Just keeps finding the footy though, and he's the kind of player we've missed sans Chapman.

I've noted the fact that Blicavs and Murdoch ALWAYS get a game so I expect they will start as Best 22.

how so?
He's played in the back-line for years over the course of his career. It's just that he's now going on 31 years of age and that's usually when players begin to slow down.

Should he be playing in midfield next year?
Theres a difference between a small lock down defender and a half back flanker playing a quarter back role. Kelly should play the latter not the former.

I agree with that. I didn't mind Jed Bews in the games he got. He did take Lindsay Thomas in a practice game? And did an ok job on him then. Has the speed and now the core strength to hang tough for 2 hours but not sure if he has the concentration. Either way, it will be a worrying sign if Kelly, Enright, Rivers and Mackie once again get the bulk of gametime in 2015 because it could almost see us go backwards after 2-3 years of relatively good work by the Scott and match committee in regards to re-building the squad since 2011.
yep thought Bews shows some real promise as a lockdown player. Really hope he starts in the team from round 1.

B Enright Lonergan Rivers

HB Thurlow Taylor Guthrie

C Stokes Selwood Duncan

HF Motlop Clark Kelly

F Bartel Hawkins McCarthy

R Stanley Caddy Johnson

Inter : Blicavs , Murdoch, Mackie
Sub: Horlin Smith

Emer: Bews Walker Vardy

Do people think Stanley can really be played as the number one ruck?

Got to say I have my doubts….

Looks like a lead up forward to me…maybe play him CHF…put Mitch and Hawk either side of the square….with a couple of quick crumbers in the vicinity…open it up for the Mitch and Hawk show….

Don't see Stanley as a #1 ruck right now.

I'm not getting to excited about the Melbourne boys yet,I'm still getting over this one.
034747-63573a66-4394-11e4-bda1-0d01b72e7449.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back