2015 Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

North have an under 19's now. But yes with retirements slowly coming over the next few years will be a very challenging period for the club.
Richo u seem to have a bit of knowledge of the Doggies so could u give us an open assessment of where they are at for this year. Hearing numbers not great but Saddo saying on NFL website consistently had 35 players on track over summer, recruits from 2014 either injured (Dowling) or overseas (Ryan) sounds like many players will be short of a gallop or two come R1. Already behind the rest of the pack for me.

Richo u seem to have a bit of knowledge of the Doggies so could u give us an open assessment of where they are at for this year. Hearing numbers not great but Saddo saying on NFL website consistently had 35 players on track over summer, recruits from 2014 either injured (Dowling) or overseas (Ryan) sounds like many players will be short of a gallop or two come R1. Already behind the rest of the pack for me.

Not in the inner sanctum but do know some people down at the club. You are right on the money that numbers in the practice matches have been poor as I think I mentioned in earlier post only fourteen players for reserves practice match yesterday so certainly a lot of players short of match practice. Honestly I think our best 22 will be very competitive but that seems a long way off at the moment. Didn't attend any training sessions but would say Saddo might have been trying to put a positive spin on numbers.

Not in the inner sanctum but do know some people down at the club. You are right on the money that numbers in the practice matches have been poor as I think I mentioned in earlier post only fourteen players for reserves practice match yesterday so certainly a lot of players short of match practice. Honestly I think our best 22 will be very competitive but that seems a long way off at the moment. Didn't attend any training sessions but would say Saddo might have been trying to put a positive spin on numbers.
Sounds like a D2 premiership hangover & with little outs apart from Blake Holmes & Jess Tardio at Northern the depth thru the club as you say is ok to compete particularly with lower half of Div 1. You only have to look at reserves side in GF 2014 probably over 15 players with senior experience at some level so if all could commit as they did last year plus a handful of recruits the club could make a fist of it.

North have an under 19's now. But yes with retirements slowly coming over the next few years will be a very challenging period for the club.

Surely the league will step in at some stage. I know nothing about Heidelberg West but Nth Heideiberg have a lot of history and that area need a football club. How did they lose the juniors? Do they still have a lot of club workers? If they sent out a call I'm sure they could rally up the troops and rebuild.
Interesting times ahead.

What history do West have as I don't know them?

Cheers boys..

Surely the league will step in at some stage. I know nothing about Heidelberg West but Nth Heideiberg have a lot of history and that area need a football club. How did they lose the juniors? Do they still have a lot of club workers? If they sent out a call I'm sure they could rally up the troops and rebuild.
Interesting times ahead.

What history do West have as I don't know them?

Cheers boys..

Always said Turbo that a strong North in Div 1 is big for the league however a lot of it is demographic. Club had a very strong Preston/Reservoir connection for many years sons of former players, bothers etc. so was a very strong & united club. Very similar to some degree to our friends at Reservoir Lakeside who were a power with strong juniors & lost their mojo & folded or were taken over by West Preston. North is working hard with local community to build a link however with respect this area struggles financially & the days of hefty beer sales to pay for players whilst it helps does not cover it these days. Have a small but dedicated group of people but against growth areas like Greensborough & beyond it is difficult to compete.

Bit of praccy match news from yesterday. Lower played North Ringwood (div 1 EFL) and went down by 3 goals, which was the qtr time margin. Ressies had a win and thirds lost in a close game. Ones were missing Darcy and Billy Barden and probably about 2-3 others. We were rotating with about 10 off the bench, so plenty of guys got a run and it was a pretty good hit out. I'd imagine North Ringwood would be similar to Montrose who we played in a praccy last year and were newly promoted.

Always said Turbo that a strong North in Div 1 is big for the league however a lot of it is demographic. Club had a very strong Preston/Reservoir connection for many years sons of former players, bothers etc. so was a very strong & united club. Very similar to some degree to our friends at Reservoir Lakeside who were a power with strong juniors & lost their mojo & folded or were taken over by West Preston. North is working hard with local community to build a link however with respect this area struggles financially & the days of hefty beer sales to pay for players whilst it helps does not cover it these days. Have a small but dedicated group of people but against growth areas like Greensborough & beyond it is difficult to compete.

Dubai Man, well said.. Running footy clubs these days is a bloody tough gig even with a lot of helpers..
I know this is only a small thing but I mentioned on another league thread that I have noticed an increase in beer prices at local footy. Stubby of draught now $4:80. Now I always buy from the clubs but to me this is a bit steep. Does this encourage supporters to bring there own beer, sit on the boundary line and then leave straight after the game? Need to get them into the club and entice them to be involved.

Ideas - Throw on some free finger food at 6:30 so if people have kids they can eat something. Put the lights on so kids can kick a footy as that's what we used to do back in the day. Need to get families back into club footy..
Fri / Sat night $5 kids meals..

Anyway it's just a small thing I've picked up on in local footy in all leagues.

Coming from the opposition perspective yesterday I did come away worrying about how they will go back in Div 1. Did hear from those that know they did have half a dozen or so out, but to be honest we had 8 walk-up starters (mainly from the top end) including a couple of ex-AFLers, last years B&F,& full-back amongst others not available. They certainly were not as strong yesterday as previous encounters - not sure if that says more about North or the opposition. As you state it might take a few weeks into the season to bed it down.

Hopefully they go well as they are a great club, welcoming hosts & a good bunch of blokes that we have developed a strong relationship with over the last few years. Good luck for the year.

Probably wouldnt stand in his way I guess. What's the reason? Is that his junior club, does a good mate play there or is it for some extra coin maybe?

Seeing he knocked back a lucrative offer to stay with the club don't think they can begrudge him a chance to play whatever the reasons. Sure there is an injury risk but there is every week anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will see more and more charge $5 a beer but I was at the Lower Plenty Hotel recently and a pot was $5...

I am pretty sure Clubs are smart enough to know they will turn people away if they charge too much but people need to know that running a Club is not cheap and they need to generate money somehow.

$4.50 or $5 will be the norm I reckon.

I thought Id share this. During last Saturday's practice match against Nth Ringwood, they apparently called for a player count because they thought we had 19 on the ground. Seriously it's a bloody practice match! Also, is it true that Balwyn beat Bundoora by 100+ points on Sunday? I understand that Bundoora were without 5-6 but Balwyn were also.

Beer prices are very important for mine. This year what i know is -
HFC - A Stuart Diver, A lady Godiva or a Deep Sea Diver ....that's a fiver for those not born within the sounds of the Bow Bells. Huge selection, but no Melbourne much to the dismay of some.
NHFC - A bargain at $4.50.

Last edited:
I thought Id share this. During last Saturday's practice match against Nth Ringwood, they apparently called for a player count because they thought we had 19 on the ground. Seriously it's a bloody practice match! Also, is it true that Balwyn beat Bundoora by 100+ points on Sunday? I understand that Bundoora were without 5-6 but Balwyn were also.

This is true but after speaking to a mate who plays at Balwyn that had 9 players out themselves also

This is true but after speaking to a mate who plays at Balwyn that had 9 players out themselves also

I wouldn't be to concerned if I was Bundoora as my mail is Balwyn will be one of the strongest metro sides going around this year. They are telling people they don't pay anyone a sign on and don't pay big money. They come for other reasons, one being business leads. "Yeah right"
They have a good set up there and some local figures.

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back