2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Just speaking from experience regarding weather. I know last year there was one round where they let QAFL and QFA teams play but the lower divisions were called off.

Just speaking from experience regarding weather. I know last year there was one round where they let QAFL and QFA teams play but the lower divisions were called off.
Yeah it all comes down to the field owners etc I'm pretty sure. If council says they don't want the field wrecked we have to listen.

Yeah it all comes down to the field owners etc I'm pretty sure. If council says they don't want the field wrecked we have to listen.

Well based on what I've heard falling since about 3am and from I read in the news about what's to come, I can't see there'll be any Friday night games this week.

Looks like there might be some make up games in the future.

I thought it was up to the management of each facility.?

eg. yeronga games will be called off, UQ games will be called off - as both have precious lease holders or owners.

While games at other grounds will vary based on the club and/or council

One thing I love about footy is regardless the weather you play and keep playing unlike cricket ect
Woopty do there's a lot of rain but that shouldn't stop a game being played can say illed be pretty disappointed if games get canceled
Wet weather footy is just another concept to the game.

I thought it was up to the management of each facility.?

eg. yeronga games will be called off, UQ games will be called off - as both have precious lease holders or owners.

While games at other grounds will vary based on the club and/or council

UQ hopefully will be ok. They now play out at Moorooka on Friday nights. You should know that, they are your local team !!!

One thing I love about footy is regardless the weather you play and keep playing unlike cricket ect
Woopty do there's a lot of rain but that shouldn't stop a game being played can say illed be pretty disappointed if games get canceled
Wet weather footy is just another concept to the game.

I think you'll find a lot on here agree with you (as I do), but as QAFL says, when you're dealing with leaseholders, councils etc, you're going to find a conservative approach to playing and training during and even sometimes after rainfall.

If games are called off at least no one is really disadvantaged as it's all Friday night games this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UQ hopefully will be ok. They now play out at Moorooka on Friday nights. You should know that, they are your local team !!!

I mean UQ fields - who are renowned for being conservative at the slightest hint of rain.

Despite allowing the Rugby to go ahead, which is a complete contradiction given what a scrum does to the field!

I mean UQ fields - who are renowned for being conservative at the slightest hint of rain.

Despite allowing the Rugby to go ahead, which is a complete contradiction given what a scrum does to the field!

Yeah I totally agree, UQ are a joke when it comes to even the slightest chance of rain, and their attitude typifies why AFL as a whole is a second class sport in QLD. Rugby would destroy grounds compared to what playing a game of AFL would do.

Yeah I totally agree, UQ are a joke when it comes to even the slightest chance of rain, and their attitude typifies why AFL as a whole is a second class sport in QLD. Rugby would destroy grounds compared to what playing a game of AFL would do.

You say this a bit Peanut - love to know what sports you believe are managed well? RU is farcical, RL isn't much better with more happening on the sidelines than on the ground in many cases, soccer - junior level goes alright, senior level getting act together. Think you need a measuring bar to test AFL against. I would suggest that being involved in AFL footy in Qld is a significantly better environment than many, if not all, other sports.

In this day and age of litigation, complete cess pits for ovals become a litigious nightmare. As long as the round gets replayed don't think its a massive issue. case by case of course and yeah there probably aren't too many crap grounds right now but when you have 200+mm of water in 24hrs then many ground just end up with a whole lot of surface water which is just stupid. BTW the absolute worst conditions I have ever seen in 40yrs of footy were at Noosa on Day 1 of finals. There is a great photo that depicted the whole thing at 1/4 time break. Atrocious. Played the game but the ground would have taken 4 weeks to recover!

Can confirm, the UQ ovals do get shut rather quickly when it rains. That decision is made by UQ Sport & the UQ Property & Facilities Dept, not the UQAFC.

I can see why they do it though - it's an oval management decision to keep the ground in good condition, which is not easy when you've got our 6 senior teams, plus the frisbee club and social soccer all using the one oval. It's difficult enough trying to fit everyone on for training during the week let alone make a decision about wet match days.

The club has been improving this process so that we at least get early warning and can try to shift games to alternate venues as we did a few times last year. It won't be a problem this weekend anyway with all of our teams playing away (or at their adopted home ground as is the case in this league).

I'd imagine that there are a few other clubs in similar positions as tenants at their home grounds. A bit of communication and understanding by all involved will hopefully achieve good outcomes in each circumstance by getting us out there doing what we love doing (playing footy) either this weekend or in a make-up round later on in the season.

Something tells me that the people making the most noise about how matches should go ahead at all costs are likely also the ones who would be the first to complain mid-year if the ovals get ripped up by too much traffic this weekend and then turn into rock-hard dried mud flats in a few weeks time. Some people just like a good whinge, but unfortunately you can't always have the best of both worlds!

Last edited:
Seems councils here in QLD are far more protective of their grounds from rain than other states. Wish they were just as protective of the grounds to ensure they have grass coverage too. a number of grounds have patches harder than concrete which are much softer under water. LOL

Does anyone know if there's been any collective to postpone this whole round yet? Doesn't look like there's any chance of many of the games going ahead

You wouldn't think enough rain yet to postpone, you'd think by lunchtime tomorrow they should have enough info to make a decision.

Does anyone know if there's been any collective to postpone this whole round yet? Doesn't look like there's any chance of many of the games going ahead

Why would there be?? Australian Rules football is designed to be played, rain, hail or shine.

On top of that, so many grounds have a sand base these days and drain very, very well. And quickly.

Why would there be?? Australian Rules football is designed to be played, rain, hail or shine.

On top of that, so many grounds have a sand base these days and drain very, very well. And quickly.

Trust me I agree, just don't want to see last minute cancellation and split points . seeing as we are 0-3 and match up well against yeronga, this would kickstart our season

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Back