List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

They only invite the players that clubs with picks inside the top 10 have advised they are considering so the absence of SPP can be seen as a good thing since it means he's not being considered so should be available for us to overlook

Battle and galluci are the two names on that list that surprise me as I've not seen either of those two named anywhere else as potential top 10 picks

Gallucci has been mentioned by BOND007 as a player that some Clubs rate in their top 10 and I also recall reading that in an article a while ago so his inclusion doesn't surprise me , but agree with the Battle call.

They only invite the players that clubs with picks inside the top 10 have advised they are considering so the absence of SPP can be seen as a good thing since it means he's not being considered so should be available for us to overlook

Battle and galluci are the two names on that list that surprise me as I've not seen either of those two named anywhere else as potential top 10 picks
Simpkin and Florent haven`t been mentioned either AFAIK ..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...bbyclub-guide-part-three-20161119-gst83m.html

In: Sam Mitchell, Nathan Vardy.
Out: Corey Adamson, Jamie Bennell, Mitch Brown, Damien Cavka, Brant Colledge, Xavier Ellis, Fraser McInnes, Kane Lucas, Patrick McGinnity, Alec Waterman.
Draft picks: 12, 34, 54, 89.

TALL FORWARDS: Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling, Tom Lamb, Matthew Allen.
TALL DEFENDERS: Jeremy McGovern, Tom Barrass, Eric Mackenzie, Will Schofield.
SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Mark LeCras, Jamie Cripps, Josh Hill, Malcolm Karpany, Simon Tunbridge (rookie).
SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Shannon Hurn, Sharrod Wellingham, Brad Sheppard, Sam Butler, Jackson Nelson, Paddy Brophy (rookie).
MIDFIELDERS: Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Sam Mitchell, Matt Priddis, Chris Masten, Elliot Yeo, Dom Sheed, Lewis Jetta, Jack Redden, Liam Duggan, Mark Hutchings, Tom Cole, Luke Partington, Kurt Mutimer, Jordan Snadden (rookie).
RUCKS: Nic Naitanui, Scott Lycett, Nathan Vardy, Jonathan Giles.

West Coast have found themselves in this position for a few years, sitting just outside the top 10 waiting to see who slips through. The player they may have to think hard about this year is Will Brodie, who looks like making it through the first 10. Do they need to consider life after Priddis and recruit Sam Mitchell? Have they already done that, with Liam Duggan and Dom Sheed? Will Will Brodie be a long way ahead of the next best player on their list and too good to leave sitting there? It will be an interesting call. The Eagles have been linked to defender Griffin Logue, but would need him to get past a few clubs to reach them. There's also been some talk about Josh Rotham, an adventurous dasher who has a slight chance of making it to their second pick but could go just before it. Jarrod Berry would be a solid choice and is the sort of mid-sized marking back they could do with, while the pace of Isaac Cumming could open up space on Subiaco Oval. Jy Simpkin, Oliver Florent and Jordan Gallucci are others who could fit in well. And then there is Will Hayward, an energetic and creative lead-up forward who could replace Mark Le Cras down the track. The Eagles have nominated Jake Waterman, another forward and the brother of recently delisted midfielder Alec, as a father-son nominee. It's hard to see a bid coming for him until after their second pick, if not their third.

No mention of SPP at all. If we're considering him we've done a very good job of keeping it quiet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that will brodie is seen as a chance to slip through to us. Would have been inconceivable a couple of weeks ago.

There are sliders every year. ie Laverde lasted all the way to pick 19 when be was considered top 10 easy months out.

Grundy was a slider, Darling and Hurn also.

I've barely posted on here for months... partly because our finals exit depressed the hell out of me (sorry to bring it up and remind everyone) and partly because I'm a rank amateur when it comes to knowing the prospects. Haven't seen any of them live. Just the few YouTube videos. But we're into the last week, so I thought I'd share a few thoughts.

SPP is clearly very intriguing. But I can't tell if I'm hoping for him or not. The consensus on him is a lot lower than where we pick and the highlights didn't have me particularly impressed (I'm possibly a victim of seeing the 2015 highlights where his disposal is very poor). One of my main questions is how much his strength translates to the next level. Similar to Daniel Rich as a prospect - he was more physically developed and so overpowered prospects his age. I read some things, and get a little aroused... but still not quite convinced.

There seem to be a lot of great prospects around our mark - all with question marks as you'd expect (or they'd be going top 10), but a lot to like. Obviously SPP. Berry could be a gun if he gets over his injuries. Gallucci certainly has his strengths and is not vanilla as some have suggested. Venables was described by someone as appearing a little like Shuey, and I can certainly see that. Talks of Brodie sliding to around our pick. That's some great potential there. At least half a dozen prospects that I'd be really happy with.

Then, hopefully the rumours of Shai Bolton being a flight risk gain ground this week, along with Waterman later on, and I am looking forward to Christmas in November.

Would love Simpkin. Then an inside mid slider maybe at 34. Then perhaps a rebounding third tall slider at 54. I don't know the draft well enough to know exact names but those types would be nice. Then Waterman with our last, and a ruck in the rookie draft.
I still hope we take 5 in the ND, particularly if we can get someone like Banfield/Goddard/Cameron with a late pick.

I still hope we take 5 in the ND, particularly if we can get someone like Banfield/Goddard/Cameron with a late pick.

I'd be happy with that. So long as we are happy to give them two years it means we get to select a player ~15 spots earlier than our first rookie pick.

I'd be happy with that. So long as we are happy to give them two years it means we get to select a player ~15 spots earlier than our first rookie pick.
Exactly my thinking and quite honestly with some of the crap we've held on to over the last few years having someone young with potential contracted for 2 years instead of 1 isn't really that big a deal

Would love Simpkin. Then an inside mid slider maybe at 34. Then perhaps a rebounding third tall slider at 54. I don't know the draft well enough to know exact names but those types would be nice. Then Waterman with our last, and a ruck in the rookie draft.
Broken lower leg. Not a big body and will take years to develop but clever around goals.

Sounds like a 2nd round pick.

Do not want to gamble our first on him, the broken leg is the issue for me.

Is it just me or do others think that Berry is the exact type the club would want to target? Versatile, smart, leader etc and doesn't look too bad ass (like spp). To me he seems the type we would target, not that I would complain... Cheeky bugger reckons he supports GWS...His attempt to jump straight into the leagues strongest team?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back