2016 AFL Fixture. News and Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Why don't they save all the big clash games for the middle of the season when everything is plodding along. In April everyone is just happy for the football to be back on and will go to dud games. It also gives the AFL hype machine more time to pump them up.

Because by that stage Carlton Essendon and possibly one of Richmond/Collingwood supporters will have jumped off due to their teams being rubbish. Get them in early before the sides fall apart and both sets of supporters will turn up.

I dont care and wouldn't expect my team to open the season but yes Richmond v Carlton would be boring to any neutrals as it has 'regulation Tiger victory' all over it. I agree to an extent that attendance matters ie the season opener should have at least 50k at the MCG or pack AO, SCG, Perth Stadium when open, the Gabba etc. However the wooden spooners should never open the season in what is a showcase for the game.

Three better openers as an example-
Richmond v West Coast (realise they drew only 45,000k this year but Rd 1 opener between two top 4 aspirants should attract more neutrals)
Adelaide v Collingwood (capacity Adelaide oval, another toss of coin game)
Hawthorn v Sydney (best attended vic v interstate team, two best teams of the last 4 years)

50000 at the MCG to open the season ? give it a break! its the first game of the season it should be packed!!

Why don't they save all the big clash games for the middle of the season when everything is plodding along. In April everyone is just happy for the football to be back on and will go to dud games. It also gives the AFL hype machine more time to pump them up.

As can be seen in 2014 Richmond Vs Carlton was only able to draw 62000 when it was in round 2. last year when tigers and blues played in the middle it was only 52000, so by having it round one at least adds another 20000 to the attendee total

Can't believe people are suggesting the round 1 opener won't draw a big crowd ? Give me a break, last year was over 83K and I expect similar numbers if not more due to the Yarran factor. Tigers supporters will turn up, over to you Carlton.

As can be seen in 2014 Richmond Vs Carlton was only able to draw 62000 when it was in round 2. last year when tigers and blues played in the middle it was only 52000, so by having it round one at least adds another 20000 to the attendee total

I am not sure what you are implying. Of course it will draw a stack more as the first game, but any first game of the season would draw a bigger crowd. In other words, Richmond vs GWS as a season opener could draw 40K+, and people would watch it because there hasn't been any football for 6 months. By the time round 14 comes along, no neutral will watch this game, and you'd be lucky to get 25k turn up. However, with the hype factor of Yarran vs his old club blah blah blah, if Richmond play Carlton in round 11 for example, there is still gonna be a decent crowd, and a few neutrals might actually be interested in watching on telly.

I am not sure what you are implying. Of course it will draw a stack more as the first game, but any first game of the season would draw a bigger crowd. In other words, Richmond vs GWS as a season opener could draw 40K+, and people would watch it because there hasn't been any football for 6 months. By the time round 14 comes along, no neutral will watch this game, and you'd be lucky to get 25k turn up. However, with the hype factor of Yarran vs his old club blah blah blah, if Richmond play Carlton in round 11 for example, there is still gonna be a decent crowd, and a few neutrals might actually be interested in watching on telly.

Not sure where you get that idea from.

2015 Carlton v Richmond 83k
2014 Collingwood Vs Freo 37k (at Docklands), --- RvC opening rnd 2 62k
2013 Adelaide vs Essendon 42k (AAMI), Freo v WCE 38k, --- 3rd match CvR 80k
2012 GWS vs Sydney 38K (ANZ) --- 2nd match. RvC 78k

Where are these people turning up to 'any first game'?

As for the neutrals...People here like to claim there is a massive number of them out there and that they know what they want, but clearly they're either far fewer than claimed or those speaking for them have far less idea what they want than they think.

Not sure where you get that idea from.

2015 Carlton v Richmond 83k
2014 Collingwood Vs Freo 37k (at Docklands), --- RvC opening rnd 2 62k
2013 Adelaide vs Essendon 42k (AAMI), Freo v WCE 38k, --- 3rd match CvR 80k
2012 GWS vs Sydney 38K (ANZ) --- 2nd match. RvC 78k

Where are these people turning up to 'any first game'?

As for the neutrals...People here like to claim there is a massive number of them out there and that they know what they want, but clearly they're either far fewer than claimed or those speaking for them have far less idea what they want than they think.

But they are bigger crowds then they would get for the same game at any other point in the year. And by neutrals I mean people that support other clubs that watch the game.

But they are bigger crowds then they would get for the same game at any other point in the year. And by neutrals I mean people that support other clubs that watch the game.

Really? Why of those games drew massively more than at any other time?

I know what you mean by neutrals, what I don't see is any evidence they're a significant factor. Where were all the neutrals in the 37k Collingwood drew against Freo?

The degree to which neutrals matter is a BF myth which is used to back almost any argument.

Really? Why of those games drew massively more than at any other time?

I know what you mean by neutrals, what I don't see is any evidence they're a significant factor. Where were all the neutrals in the 37k Collingwood drew against Freo?

The degree to which neutrals matter is a BF myth which is used to back almost any argument.

I as a neutral find myself watching all sorts of games at the beginning of the season. By the halfway point, I have lost interest in games that don't concern my team or directly affect my team's ladder position etc. I have watched the Richmond vs Carlton games in round 1 for the last couple of years, I have not watched your two sides play at any other point of the season—incl. that final a few years back. As a neutral, I've been to a number of games with friends, or whatever, because they had the potential to be entertaining.

But to use your club as an example again, the round one match this year against Carl. drew 83k, in the return match 53k. No one was interested in seeing what was likely to be an insipid Carl. get flogged by Rich. Attendance always fall in the second half of the year.

I as a neutral find myself watching all sorts of games at the beginning of the season. By the halfway point, I have lost interest in games that don't concern my team or directly affect my team's ladder position etc. I have watched the Richmond vs Carlton games in round 1 for the last couple of years, I have not watched your two sides play at any other point of the season—incl. that final a few years back. As a neutral, I've been to a number of games with friends, or whatever, because they had the potential to be entertaining.

You're on BF, so you're probably a bit more enthusiastic about footy than most and thus far more liekly to be a neutral. BF is NOT reflective of the wider world in this regard.

I'm not saying neutrals don't exist, I'm saying they're not this massive group of fans that shifts according to whatever whim people on BF assign to it.

Some will watch all games, some will watch whatever is on TV when they're not doing much else, some will kind of watch whatever is on at the pub on a Friday night. Claims that neutrals will or wont do something as a job lot are just silly.

The EVIDENCE is that people will watch Richmond v Carlton at the start of the season, both live and on TV, and that other games, even when put on ahead of this do not get nearly as much attention.

But to use your club as an example again, the round one match this year against Carl. drew 83k, in the return match 53k. No one was interested in seeing what was likely to be an insipid Carl. get flogged by Rich. Attendance always fall in the second half of the year.

Yes...and? Look at the crowds for Collingwood v Essendon...ANZAC day constantly outdraws the return clash by a hefty margin. That backs up the idea that the 'season opener' idea is an event/blockbuster...20-30k more go to see it than the return clash, and the same is true most years, regardless of how those teams are travelling.

You're on BF, so you're probably a bit more enthusiastic about footy than most and thus far more liekly to be a neutral. BF is NOT reflective of the wider world in this regard.

I'm not saying neutrals don't exist, I'm saying they're not this massive group of fans that shifts according to whatever whim people on BF assign to it.

Some will watch all games, some will watch whatever is on TV when they're not doing much else, some will kind of watch whatever is on at the pub on a Friday night. Claims that neutrals will or wont do something as a job lot are just silly.

The EVIDENCE is that people will watch Richmond v Carlton at the start of the season, both live and on TV, and that other games, even when put on ahead of this do not get nearly as much attention.

Yes...and? Look at the crowds for Collingwood v Essendon...ANZAC day constantly outdraws the return clash by a hefty margin. That backs up the idea that the 'season opener' idea is an event/blockbuster...20-30k more go to see it than the return clash, and the same is true most years, regardless of how those teams are travelling.

Agree with this.

But to say that these blockbuster type games don't attract significant neutral interest is a fallacy. Richmond and Carlton don't have enough members between the two of them to fill the AFL (Rich 4,636, Carl 7,015) and MCC (Rich 7,512, Carl 10,354) stands...given the two stands have filled to the brim for a large number of the round 1 games (namely 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015) there must be a significant neutral component at a number of these games.

The same applies to the Easter Monday games where Hawthorn and Geelong simply don't have enough members to fill the AFL (Haw 4,185, Geel 4,158) and MCC (Haw 7,715, Geel 7,613) stands...despite 2008 (non Easter Monday), 2011, 2013 (non Easter Monday) also drawing 80k type crowds.

Whether its Richmond v Carlton, Easter Monday, ANZAC Day (AFL - Coll 12,143, Ess 6,243, MCC - Coll 11,369, Ess 12,689), Dreamtime at the G (AFL - Rich 4,636, Ess 6,243, MCC - Rich 7,512, Ess 12,689) or even the Queens Birthday fixture (AFL - Melb 1,570, Coll 11,369, MCC - Melb 19,185, Coll 11,369) the 'blockbusters' all attract a sizeable neutral interest

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Rd 4 - Essendon vs Geelong at the MCG playing in the inaugural 'country game'. If they were dead serious about the concept they should play the game in the country during the H&A season.

Yeah, but...

J37dWci.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Rd 4 - Essendon vs Geelong at the MCG playing in the inaugural 'country game'. If they were dead serious about the concept they should play the game in the country during the H&A season.

Now there's something to stir the passion.

The country game.

2014 was when it was pushed back to round 2.
So last 3 openers have been 78k, 80k and 83k. Tiges supporters will make up 55k, as long as Blues can muster up 25k it should be over 80k.

Lol maybe more like 45k Richmond and 35k Carlton. Gee gonna love Richmond fans. Only thing they can hang their hat on is "oh look how many fans we have"!!

Come back to me and Richmond have more members then Collingwood and Hawthorn?? Cheers

They spelled campaigner wrong.

And that goes back to my main point all the way at the beginning of the thread, put the blockbuster games on in the middle of the year when attendance wane.

Lol maybe more like 45k Richmond and 35k Carlton. Gee gonna love Richmond fans. Only thing they can hang their hat on is "oh look how many fans we have"!!

Come back to me and Richmond have more members then Collingwood and Hawthorn?? Cheers

If Richmond get on a roll you may very regret that statement as it could come around quicker than you may think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that we are sitting at 3rd with no recent success and ony behind 2 clubs with recent success says that we will jump both if we get a couple finals wins.

Agree with this.

But to say that these blockbuster type games don't attract significant neutral interest is a fallacy. Richmond and Carlton don't have enough members between the two of them to fill the AFL (Rich 4,636, Carl 7,015) and MCC (Rich 7,512, Carl 10,354) stands...given the two stands have filled to the brim for a large number of the round 1 games (namely 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015) there must be a significant neutral component at a number of these games.

The same applies to the Easter Monday games where Hawthorn and Geelong simply don't have enough members to fill the AFL (Haw 4,185, Geel 4,158) and MCC (Haw 7,715, Geel 7,613) stands...despite 2008 (non Easter Monday), 2011, 2013 (non Easter Monday) also drawing 80k type crowds.

Whether its Richmond v Carlton, Easter Monday, ANZAC Day (AFL - Coll 12,143, Ess 6,243, MCC - Coll 11,369, Ess 12,689), Dreamtime at the G (AFL - Rich 4,636, Ess 6,243, MCC - Rich 7,512, Ess 12,689) or even the Queens Birthday fixture (AFL - Melb 1,570, Coll 11,369, MCC - Melb 19,185, Coll 11,369) the 'blockbusters' all attract a sizeable neutral interest

So you need to remember that at this game the MCC and AFL reserve are made up nearly half of the capacity of each, now if I was going to purchase guest passes to take friends there is a fair chance they would be a supporter of ether of the clubs, admittedly not paid up support but still supporters of the teams playing.

The crowd at last years season opener really is what would of cemented it again this year.

Last year, a tiger win was very much expected at a blues home game, and I'm pretty sure there were showers around during the game, and it still drew 83500.

Until it drops no one really has a realistic claim to take the season opener from either

So you need to remember that at this game the MCC and AFL reserve are made up nearly half of the capacity of each, now if I was going to purchase guest passes to take friends there is a fair chance they would be a supporter of ether of the clubs, admittedly not paid up support but still supporters of the teams playing.

Do you really think half the MCC reserve is guest passes (when guest passes are capped at 5000)

Every Richmond and Carlton MCC member on the planet plus 100% guest pass allocation would need to be filled to get anywhere near 100% capacity

All the blockbuster fixtures have a sizable neutral component in both reserves...its self evident to everyone that sits in either reserve

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Fixture. News and Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back