2016 AFL Fixture. News and Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Dw 80k is a sure thing.

The Rich v Carl match is an excellent draw but I wouldnt say 80k is a sure thing...

2007 - 59,847
2008 - 72,552
2009 - 87,043
2010 - 72,010
2011 - 60,654
2012 - 78,265
2013 - 80,971
2014 - 62,047
2015 - 83,493

Will be interesting to see how 2016 draws. Being a Richmond home game should definately help...

The Rich v Carl match is an excellent draw but I wouldnt say 80k is a sure thing...

2007 - 59,847
2008 - 72,552
2009 - 87,043
2010 - 72,010
2011 - 60,654
2012 - 78,265
2013 - 80,971
2014 - 62,047
2015 - 83,493
2014 was when it was pushed back to round 2.
So last 3 openers have been 78k, 80k and 83k. Tiges supporters will make up 55k, as long as Blues can muster up 25k it should be over 80k.

Its all about who your x 2 matches are though.

Not really. If Brisbane get belted in their first two matches, it's season over for them again. Good to see AFL showing absolutely no concern for the game here, when it is so close to dying in this state. (I live in Queensland, and it is very concerning)

Nothing like a good old fashioned crowd split debate

Highly objective as always

It didn't take them long to start, did it? Highly unlikely 55k Richmond fans have gone to any H&A game ever.

Im not sure how people can call a richmond and Blues game boring, just call it what it is and that is jealously that your team does not open the season.
The last 5 times Richmond and Carlton have plated the final margin has been under 30 points and 2013 and 2014 were significantly close games.
Changing a game that was the 2nd highest crowd of of the home and away season last year just seems stupid.

It didn't take them long to start, did it? Highly unlikely 55k Richmond fans have gone to any H&A game ever.

Not in for a crowd debate, but with 70000 members and our home game this year there is a fair chance we will get 55000 there. Im only worried as it is our home game the Blues fans won’t turn out in fear of a flogging which sucks richmond suffers.

Don’t Mind Richmond Vs Pies Round 2, obviously trying to cash in on a hyped richmond following early.
All things going well by the time dreamtime comes around we could of pulled 3 80000 strong crowds against all the ‘Big 4'

Im not sure how people can call a richmond and Blues game boring, just call it what it is and that is jealously that your team does not open the season.
The last 5 times Richmond and Carlton have plated the final margin has been under 30 points and 2013 and 2014 were significantly close games.
Changing a game that was the 2nd highest crowd of of the home and away season last year just seems stupid.
I dont care and wouldn't expect my team to open the season but yes Richmond v Carlton would be boring to any neutrals as it has 'regulation Tiger victory' all over it. I agree to an extent that attendance matters ie the season opener should have at least 50k at the MCG or pack AO, SCG, Perth Stadium when open, the Gabba etc. However the wooden spooners should never open the season in what is a showcase for the game.

Three better openers as an example-
Richmond v West Coast (realise they drew only 45,000k this year but Rd 1 opener between two top 4 aspirants should attract more neutrals)
Adelaide v Collingwood (capacity Adelaide oval, another toss of coin game)
Hawthorn v Sydney (best attended vic v interstate team, two best teams of the last 4 years)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in for a crowd debate, but with 70000 members and our home game this year there is a fair chance we will get 55000 there. Im only worried as it is our home game the Blues fans won’t turn out in fear of a flogging which sucks richmond suffers.

Given 40% of the MCG is snapped up by AFL (4,636 Richmond members total) and the MCC (7,512 Richmond supporting MCC members on the planet) I highly doubt you'll get 43,000 of 60,000 in the public reserve...assuming every AFL member, every Richmond supporting MCC member and every Richmond reserve seat holder rocks up (they won't)

Carlton evidently have 7,001 AFL members and 10,351 MCC members...so the game could fill (i.e. 80,000 plus) albeit with a sizeable neutral interest (as is the way with all blockbuster games)

The total club member is irrelevant, what matters is what portion of those club members have reserve seating

...and Richmond wouldn't have anymore than 20,000 in MCG reserve seating (Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon all have 20,000 and 25,000 in reserve seating)

There are around 20,000 seats available in the lower levels of the MCG public reserve...so you can simply work your way back from that by looking at the seating maps

The Richmond 2015 MCG Seating Map

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 3.20.29 pm.png

Crowd splits are ridiculous as there is simply no way of knowing how many MCC supporters / general public are supporting either side however 55,000 for one side is absolutely fanciful

Last edited:
What happened to the Pies/Dogs round 1???

AFL obviously decided not to grant the request. Not really much skin off Collingwood's nose, but does mean the Dogs have been denied what would've almost certainly been their biggest crowd of the year.

In fact, the last 3 Collingwood home games against the Dogs at the G are the Bulldogs' 3rd, 10th and 11th highest crowds of all time.

Understand all the appeal for you but seriously as a neutral watching a game with the wooden spooners as the opener is not that enthralling.

What happened to the Pies/Dogs round 1???

Already been done once in 1993.
Was just a request by Dogs and Pies to do it again. Was unlikely to get up.
When Dogs made preliminary finals in 1992 and Collingwood eliminated in first week after finishing 3rd on ladder the next season Bulldogs and Pies actually opened the season on a Friday night. Was still short of 60K though even though both clubs were expected to be contenders in the new season.

In reality what has happened is Carlton and Richmond have had such big crowds on Thursday nights prior to Good Friday holiday that the AFL are not going to kill the goose that lay a golden egg. Having said that, Carlton and North been keen for sometime to do a Good Friday game so clearly my club does not have that Thursday regular fixture as the main priority. If the Good Friday game gets up then the Thursday game before it can still be someone else opening the season. Don't think we are too fussed either way. But the AFL do not seem too keen to change. They like their 70 to 80K crowd opening to season on a Thursday before Easter when the season starts on that week. If it is a different week other than Easter they got no issues opening with other combinations as we saw from 2012 to 2014.

The purple and white Dockers have never played Essendon away.

The last time they played Essendon away was round 2, 2010, back when they were still white, green, red and purple.

Would be nice to verse you at the MCG. We need more games there

Crowd splits are ridiculous as there is simply no way of knowing how many MCC supporters / general public are supporting either side however 55,000 for one side is absolutely fanciful

Agree, you can never know for sure. Best you can do is a rough guess on the proportion of the crowd on the night (colours, etc), but even that will be affected by how the game is going (fans louder, colours waved around, etc), but it's practically impossible to work out how many neutrals there are (although I tend to think there are far fewer than some seem to think).

My best guess for these games is about 60:40, but I'd put a pretty significant error margin on that.

Why don't they save all the big clash games for the middle of the season when everything is plodding along. In April everyone is just happy for the football to be back on and will go to dud games. It also gives the AFL hype machine more time to pump them up.

They were close because both sides were shit.

Already been done once in 1993.
Was just a request by Dogs and Pies to do it again. Was unlikely to get up.
When Dogs made preliminary finals in 1992 and Collingwood eliminated in first week after finishing 3rd on ladder the next season Bulldogs and Pies actually opened the season on a Friday night. Was still short of 60K though even though both clubs were expected to be contenders in the new season.

In reality what has happened is Carlton and Richmond have had such big crowds on Thursday nights prior to Good Friday holiday that the AFL are not going to kill the goose that lay a golden egg. Having said that, Carlton and North been keen for sometime to do a Good Friday game so clearly my club does not have that Thursday regular fixture as the main priority. If the Good Friday game gets up then the Thursday game before it can still be someone else opening the season. Don't think we are too fussed either way. But the AFL do not seem too keen to change. They like their 70 to 80K crowd opening to season on a Thursday before Easter when the season starts on that week. If it is a different week other than Easter they got no issues opening with other combinations as we saw from 2012 to 2014.

It was meant to be the Saturday night game though.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Fixture. News and Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back