2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Full forward?

bb52bc2bdace37200c4014ce4ab25a32.gif

So a year ago they put up a B22 on the WC website: http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2014-12-09/best-22-for-round-one

B: Will Schofield, Eric Mackenzie, Sam Butler
HB: Shannon Hurn, Mitch Brown, Xavier Ellis
C: Matt Rosa, Matt Priddis, Andrew Gaff
HF: Mark LeCras, Josh Kennedy, Sharrod Wellingham
F: Jack Darling, Jeremy McGovern, Jamie Cripps
R: Nic Naitanui, Scott Selwood, Luke Shuey
I/C: Scott Lycett, Elliot Yeo, Chris Masten
Sub: Patrick McGinnity

Interesting that they had Gov pencilled in as playing full forward then. And they still had 3 key defenders. No Hill in the team.

Has that much changed between now and then?

Redden comes in for Selwood, Jetta comes in for Rosa. McGinnity gets replaced by Sheed/Duggan. Wellingham plays back not forward, perhaps at the expense of either Ellis or Butler. Sheppard comes in to the team at the expense of Ellis or Brown.

Out: Selwood, Rosa, Ginner, Ellis, Brown.

Butler will be out for half the season through injury too.

I don't consider Ellis best 22. We have drafted a few medium defenders to take his and Butler's spot over the next couple of years.

I think Schofield and Mackenzie are fine to play as two KPDs with Gov to chop out against sides with three genuine talls like Norf.

One of the best things of this year was to develop our defence to the level that we don't need both Mackenzie and Brown in the side. Playing both of them really weakens our ability to rebound.

I don't consider Ellis best 22. We have drafted a few medium defenders to take his and Butler's spot over the next couple of years.

I think Schofield and Mackenzie are fine to play as two KPDs with Gov to chop out against sides with three genuine talls like Norf.

One of the best things of this year was to develop our defence to the level that we don't need both Mackenzie and Brown in the side. Playing both of them really weakens our ability to rebound.

Agree 100% with your assessment of the backline. I really hope we do not slim down Schofield as i thought he held his own playing on the big forwards and along with Emac they should be able to take on the gorilla forwards. Hurn will be back to his rebounding best in his old role as an attacking halfback.

With how mackenzie has developed i really don't think he impedes our ability to rebound at all. His kicking is very, very good for a key defender these days. Brown on the other hand has scott selwood in front of goal kind of disposal ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With how mackenzie has developed i really don't think he impedes our ability to rebound at all. His kicking is very, very good for a key defender these days. Brown on the other hand has scott selwood in front of goal kind of disposal ability.
Mackenzie has definitely improved, and can play within himself more, but the combination of him and Brown is far inferior to what it was this year with Schofield and McGovern.

It's not just the turnovers, but the reliance on having someone like Hurn free waiting to receive a safe backwards kick or handball from either Emac or Brown, which makes our R50s predictable. It's certainly how it seemed in 2013/2014.

We can afford to have one or the other in the side, but not both IMO.

Mackenzie has definitely improved, and can play within himself more, but the combination of him and Brown is far inferior to what it was this year with Schofield and McGovern.

It's not just the turnovers, but the reliance on having someone like Hurn free waiting to receive a safe backwards kick or handball from either Emac or Brown, which makes our R50s predictable. It's certainly how it seemed in 2013/2014.

Personally would make the argument that wellingham, hurn, sheppard and very good rebounders and both schofield and mackenzie more than adequate rebounding in regards to key defenders. I think it's a moot point really as i don't rate brown as best 22 but i no longer have the same issues with him being there with mackenzie in regards to it significantly hurting our rebound like i would have in 2013-2014. Remember we've also removed adam selwood and beau waters from that mix with selwood being shit and waters disposal very erratic.

I think Schofield found his mark this year, before this year he was a running half back but this year he had to seriously look after a forward and that has been great for him.
Emac is a walk up start but Brown never has been so I think Schofield will be fine and with Emac and Gov the backline looks good.

would still have Gov in defence, makes Emac's and schoeys life alot easier when an elite intercepter plucking off balls directed to their forwards.Tho it might cost Emac his elusive AA.

would still have Gov in defence, makes Emac's and schoeys life alot easier when an elite intercepter plucking off balls directed to their forwards.Tho it might cost Emac his elusive AA.

I think Emac is an elite interceptor these days tbh. As long as he's fully fit the only worry i have is his kicking after a year out of the game.

So a year ago they put up a B22 on the WC website: http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2014-12-09/best-22-for-round-one

B: Will Schofield, Eric Mackenzie, Sam Butler
HB: Shannon Hurn, Mitch Brown, Xavier Ellis
C: Matt Rosa, Matt Priddis, Andrew Gaff
HF: Mark LeCras, Josh Kennedy, Sharrod Wellingham
F: Jack Darling, Jeremy McGovern, Jamie Cripps
R: Nic Naitanui, Scott Selwood, Luke Shuey
I/C: Scott Lycett, Elliot Yeo, Chris Masten
Sub: Patrick McGinnity

Interesting that they had Gov pencilled in as playing full forward then. And they still had 3 key defenders. No Hill in the team.

Has that much changed between now and then?

Redden comes in for Selwood, Jetta comes in for Rosa. McGinnity gets replaced by Sheed/Duggan. Wellingham plays back not forward, perhaps at the expense of either Ellis or Butler. Sheppard comes in to the team at the expense of Ellis or Brown.

Geez Shepp had some year huh?? Not even in that team, our best finals player. Cant wait for him to chop up next year, truly excited!

I think Emac is an elite interceptor these days tbh. As long as he's fully fit the only worry i have is his kicking after a year out of the game.
his good but not elite. no where as good as gov, taylor and rance

Is that you ginners ?
Ginners dreamteam.

B ya mum heart cox
HB ya mum ya mum ya mum
C ya mum ya mum ya mum
HF ya mum ya mum ya mum
F ya mum ya mum ya mum
FOL ya mum P.McGinnity ya mum
I/C P.McGinnity Jnr ya mum ya mum Jack Watts

Mm I'd rather an elite interceptor in the forward line plucking balls directed to our forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back