2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

i Love the eagles and our fans but so many people have short term memory. it only takes 1 bad season for everyone to jumper on a players back. Happened to Nic nat, shuey and gaff in 13/14, selwood in 14,15 and JD now. I wont be surprised if Duggan gets the same treatement in a few years time. i really cant stand it when people do it and they should take their blinkers off.
And then there a players that fans never relent on ala Hill, even when they have just had a career best season....;)

For me hill is expendable as he lacks consistency and at some point his form will just drop(always has and always will) and only start performing when the heats on. With Yeo spending more time forward and jetta and shuey rotating through the forward line, we cover hill pretty easily. Not to mention a fully fit darling will provide us 55-45 goals and lycett provide us 20- 15 goals. Sheed is a young kid and like all kids, he did have some off games including the GF but there were plenty of senior players that had the same impact as him.
I have no idea what they are going to do with Yeo in 2016. In that first final he was amazing in the first half (arguably BOG) playing forward mainly but then he was absolutely useless in the GF (almost certainly WOG). I have always thought he'd be great focussed primarily as a follower, explosive pace, great leap (3rd man up), pretty good hands, strong contested mark, good defensive game etc but am in two minds whether he has the strength to be a gun inside mid yet. I personally think it doesn't best fit his talents being on the wing or even as a HBF. But I also don't think he should be stuck up forward the whole game either. Really hope they further develop his inside game this pre-season and he plays between the centre and half forward line.

Priddis/Redden/Hutchings feeding out to Shuey/Yeo/Duggan is how I see our centre working next season. With Gaff/Jetta/Masten/Sheed on the wings. And support from LeCras/Cripps and Hurn/Wellingham/Shep/Nelson.

I really hope Darling gives us those kinds of numbers next year. Hawthorn is definitely his kryptonite though. I think we'd be fine playing just Darling and JK against bottom 8 teams but for the top teams, and especially the Hawks, Gov or someone else slotting in seems imperative for Darling to be effective.

Re-watch the first half of the first final and if you still don't have Hill in your B22 I'd be surprised. Stepped up when we needed him to.

The old hill tirades.

How many goals did Hill kick again in 2015?

Every player that does not perform is expendable.

Hill was absolutely more valuable to WC in 2015 than Darling and Lycett, 2016 has cause to be different again but let's not understate Darlings underwhelming season.

Hill played his position better than Darling played his in 2015. Undeniable

Darling came off an injury and had 0 preseason and after about a month after returning he was average. Its like Nic Nat in previous years, without a preseason, most players are going to be average. Darling is an A grade key position player and will return back to his previous form Or better. Hill kicked 40 odd but would have got close to half that with a fit Darling. Hill's best two seasons under us yielded 36 goals and 40 goals. However, in 2012 Both our best forwards in Lecras and kennedy were out for a long time and this year Darling missed the first half of the season and average due to lack of fitness. Hill may have patches of brilliances but cannot maintain that good form for a long period of time. Even in 2015 his form dropped off and was dropped but was brought in for lecras suspension. Then he kicked two bags of 4 goals to keep himself in the side (an once again showing that he performs when the heat is on).

I have no idea what they are going to do with Yeo in 2016. In that first final he was amazing in the first half (arguably BOG) playing forward mainly but then he was absolutely useless in the GF (almost certainly WOG). I have always thought he'd be great focussed primarily as a follower, explosive pace, great leap (3rd man up), pretty good hands, strong contested mark, good defensive game etc but am in two minds whether he has the strength to be a gun inside mid yet. I personally think it doesn't best fit his talents being on the wing or even as a HBF. But I also don't think he should be stuck up forward the whole game either. Really hope they further develop his inside game this pre-season and he plays between the centre and half forward line.

Priddis/Redden/Hutchings feeding out to Shuey/Yeo/Duggan is how I see our centre working next season. With Gaff/Jetta/Masten/Sheed on the wings. And support from LeCras/Cripps and Hurn/Wellingham/Shep/Nelson.

I really hope Darling gives us those kinds of numbers next year. Hawthorn is definitely his kryptonite though. I think we'd be fine playing just Darling and JK against bottom 8 teams but for the top teams, and especially the Hawks, Gov or someone else slotting in seems imperative for Darling to be effective.

Re-watch the first half of the first final and if you still don't have Hill in your B22 I'd be surprised. Stepped up when we needed him to.

To be fair its going to take time for Yeo to become a consistent forward/mid. last year he was succumbed to injury and this year he was thrown all over the ground. Im not overly concerned about him till i see him consistently being played as a forward mid. I think a lack of fitness might be the reason why he has inconsistancies. even in his good games, he sets a quarter or two alight and then goes quiet and then bobs up again towards the end. I think thats a main reason why he hasnt really but on muscle this offseason.

At the end of 2014, Darling said he wasnt that happy with his 2014 and that he was adamant to Have a great 2015 but unluckily his ankle injury didnt get better and ruined basically most of his year. From Day 1 darling has been one of our best forwards (rare for a young key forward) and has been more than useful in all his season except this year. Im excited to see a fit Darling next year and i rekon all his doubter will be in for a shock next season.

IMO Darling, Jk and lycett should be enough against most opposition but maybe against the top 3 or 4 Gov might be needed.

There is Lycett who will be down there. Not sure if he counts. But most teams count their ruck/fwd as one of their talls.
Roughie, big boy and Hale go alright ruck and forward.
Lycett can kick goals. He will get his chance this year with no sub and a bigger tank than Nic.

Hill is best 22.
Name a forward pocket who kicked more than him this year. 40 or 41 goals.

Poppy, bruest, balantyne, walters, zorko, cripps. The list goes on.
Betts is the only one but he is the best small forward going around.

Hill is best 22.
Name a forward pocket who kicked more than him this year. 40 or 41 goals.

Poppy, bruest, balantyne, walters, zorko, cripps. The list goes on.
Betts is the only one but he is the best small forward going around.
Betts, wingard, bruest, lecras, walters, rioli and garlett all above hill last season.

Betts, wingard, bruest, lecras, walters, rioli and garlett all above hill last season.
Kicked more than 40 goals?

Besides Lecras who isn't a crumbing opportunistic goal kicker he's definitely our best.

Sheed will not be left out of the 22. No chance.
tumblr_inline_mm902bby9O1qz4rgp.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he is in fine company then... not sure any of those players would be out of the RD 1 team next season barring injury.
except Galrlett, all those players are elite. Hill is far from it and still a B or C Grader. I admit that he had a good year but it wasnt convincing. if the list is healthy and if he slips up, he will be gone out of the 22 and will find it impossible to get back in.

Curious what others think...

(a) Would you support WCE rotating players throughout the regular season (using a B26-30) to keep everyone fresh for finals?

(b) If so, what pool of players would you draw your B22 from each week?

eg B29
Midfielders: Priddis, Shuey, Gaff, Yeo, Jetta, Masten, Redden, Hutchings, Sheed, Duggan
Rucks: Natanui, Lycett, Giles
Forwards: Kennedy, McGovern, Darling, LeCras, Hill, Cripps, Lamb
Defenders: MacKenzie, Schofield, Brown, Hurn, Wellingham, Sheppard, Butler, Ellis, Nelson

c) Are there any players you think are critical to be in our team every week and shouldn’t be part of the rotation (who is irreplaceable)?

c) Are there any players you think are critical to be in our team every week and shouldn’t be part of the rotation (who is irreplaceable)?
In no particular order, JK, Lecca, Cripps, Darling, Gov, Emac, Shep, Wellingham, Hurn, NN, Lycett, Priddis, Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Duggan, Jetta, Redden.
JK, Lecca, Gov, Emac, Shep, Wellingham, NN, Gaff, Shuey and Yeo are probably the most essential IMO.
Schoey, Hill, Butler deserve their spot based on 2015, but not irreplaceable. Brown or Gov could be used instead of Schoey, Jetta could play closer to goal in place of Hill and Nelson (or Ellis) could adequately replace Butler.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you said the same thing about Masten though, so given your certainty, who misses out?
Masten isn't a certainty next year, no. I don't recall saying that for 2016.

He's pretty well established in the side though. There will always be injuries so the whole point is kind of moot.

I am definatly in favor of a rotation policy but i'm not at all sure about just WHO should be rotated. I want to see what our new recruits, and older players such as Karpany and Lamb, can do.

For me hill is expendable as he lacks consistency and at some point his form will just drop(always has and always will) and only start performing when the heats on. With Yeo spending more time forward and jetta and shuey rotating through the forward line, we cover hill pretty easily. Not to mention a fully fit darling will provide us 55-45 goals and lycett provide us 20- 15 goals. Sheed is a young kid and like all kids, he did have some off games including the GF but there were plenty of senior players that had the same impact as him.

I know Hill has a lot of critics but I think he has done everything Simmo has asked of him and performed at a good level this year .
The players in competition for a midfield spot on my team are Sheed ,Duggan ,Masten .
A tough choice and if not Sheed than Duggan will be missing out .Or
maybe if Schofield misses out and MaGovern stays as a defender Sheed , Duggan and Masto all stay best 22 .
*see my best 22 team above

Last edited:

With Yeo He started the season strongly and then faded the longer the season went so may be a fitness issue or just the symptoms of a young player in finding consistency .
With regard to the GF Yeo went back to defence In the 3rd quarter to allow McGovern to play Fwd ,he like most of our defenders was trying to hold up the dam wall but were Generally struggling .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back