2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential insight into Jetta's role:

Priddis said Jetta’s long, penetrating kick would be useful for the Eagles, particularly across half-back, where they liked to set up their play.

“Sharrod Wellingham, Sheppard, Hurn, these guys really got our ball movement going, so he’ll be thrown in that mix,” Priddis said.

“He’ll play a little bit on the wing and half-forward, too, so that outside run is something that is going to really help us going forward.

“He’ll be very versatile.”
http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-p...om-new-teammates/story-e6frf3e3-1227664768973

If Jetta is spending around half his time on a HBF then I'd like to see this team. I'd have Gov splitting his time equally between defence and attack.

Wellingham Mackenzie Ellis
Sheppard Schofield Jetta
Duggan Priddis Gaff
Yeo McGovern Darling
Cripps Kennedy LeCras

Naitanui Redden Shuey

Nelson Sheed Masten Lycett

E: Hill Butler Hutchings
take ellis out and bring hurn in.

Is Priddis in the gun?
What do you mean by "in the gun" ? I don't think that he is likely to be dropped unless his form REALLY deteriorates in a hurry. Sure we have some promising new midfield recruits, but Priddis' form last year was as good as anyone's and any player wanting to take his spot will have to earn it !

What do you mean by "in the gun" ? I don't think that he is likely to be dropped unless his form REALLY deteriorates in a hurry. Sure we have some promising new midfield recruits, but Priddis' form last year was as good as anyone's and any player wanting to take his spot will have to earn it !
*better, significantly better

Priddis picks himself.

1st picked behind Shuey every time.

B Butler MacKenzie Sheppard
HB Wellingham Schofield Hurn
C Gaff Priddis Yeo
HF LeCras McGovern Jetta
F Darling Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Redden

I Sheed Lycett Ellis Duggan

D Masten Brown Hutchings Hill Bennell Nelson

Will be harder to pick the best 22 for this coming season as opposed to previous seasons. Several selection and positional issues to be resolved:

1. 3 traditional talls in the backline - Does Brown come into the side to play alongside E and Will? Does McGovern play in a similar role to 2015 (I've picked him in the forward line so I don't believe he should). If Schofield has maintained the bulk he put on to take the key forward last season, then I would go with him and E as the traditional tall backs. If he loses some of the bulk, suggest swapping Brown and Butler with Schofield to take the third tall.

2. 6th Backman - Only position in the backline to be up for consideration. Given it to Butler but was close between himself and Ellis. Love the look of Nelson and believe he could move into that role during the year. Bennell has dropped off from his first season and the match committee seem to have lost confidence in him.

3. Where to play Jetta and Yeo - These two could play anywhere from half back to deep forward. Tentatively have Yeo through the centre and Jetta on the half forward line. Would like to see Yeo push forward often as a 4th tall and create some havoc for an already stretched back line and Jetta sometimes taking possession and running off the half back line. Plenty of inside mids this coming year so Yeo may not spend a lot of time there.

4. Can the forward line get any taller? - Kennedy/McGovern/Darling/Resting Rucks/Yeo are gonna prove way more than just a handful for the opposition back line. Is it too tall? I don't believe so and we have pace with LeCras, Jetta and Cripps. Let's hope we don't revert to previous 'bomb it long' strategies (much easier to defend) with all the tall timber up there. Looking forward to seeing a full preseason Darling back to his best and McGovern taking the most marks inside the F50.

5. What to do with Masten? - For me, Masten and Duggan are 22 and 23, with Duggan getting the nod after a bloody impressive first season. I'd like to see Masten improve his defending and maybe switch to a backup role to Wellingham. His kicking could do some real damage coming off the HB line.

6. The leftovers (also a really good tv show) - Extremely unlucky are Masten, Brown, Hutchings and Hill but such is the quality of our list, they will be most likely to miss the first game (touch wood no injuries - actually would expect the match committee to give Masten the I/C spot over Duggan). Plenty of competition this year and let's hope the first years get to play plenty of WAFL with our depth guys.

Sorry for the long post but haven't posted in a while and I've never been as excited for an upcoming season. C'mon Eagles!!!!!!!

Last edited:
What do people think of our midfield's ranking on AFL.com.au?

6. West Coast
Best starting midfield
:
C: Andrew Gaff, Matt Priddis, Lewis Jetta
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Elliot Yeo, Luke Shuey

Depth players: Jack Redden, Chris Masten, Dom Sheed, Scott Lycett, Mark Hutchings, Liam Duggan, Kane Lucas*, Jonathan Giles, Damien Cavka, Brant Colledge*, Kurt Mutimer, Luke Partington, Jordan Snadden*, Alec Waterman*

The Eagles were the AFL's No.1 team for scoring from clearances last season, largely due to the silver service ruckman Naitanui provided to the likes of Shuey and Gaff, allowing them to burst from stoppages untouched. West Coast has added more outside run through Jetta, while the addition of former Lion Redden will offset the loss of Scott Selwood's strong inside presence. There will be pressure on Lycett to step up as Naitanui's support ruck act after Callum Sinclair's move to the Sydney Swans. – AM

I think it's a little harsh to have us at only 6th after finishing as runners up last year and being number 1 scoring from clearances. We lost Sinclair, Selwood and Rosa but we added Jetta, Redden and Giles. Overall I think that's a good upgrade. We also have a heap of room to improve with Yeo, Redden, Duggan and Sheed who all have gun potential - and I think at least 3 of them will step up in 2016. Masten, Lycett, Hutchings and even Giles are all pretty solid to rotate in as well. Sure we probably aren't top 3 but 6th I think is a bit unfair based on last year's stats - I'd have us 4th or 5th -> Freo, Haw, Syd, WCE, Port, Geelong, Pies, North.

And whilst at it they also ranked our defence as 5th.

5. West Coast
The Eagles were forced to rethink their entire defensive approach early on after losing key posts Eric McKenzie and Mitch Brown to season-ending knee injuries, but it wasn't the disaster many predicted with their full field "web" strangling the run of opponents. They were the fourth hardest team to score against, and while they were ranked in the bottom four when it came to pressure specifically in defence, they were third best at restricting their opponents from taking marks inside 50.

If we are 5th without EMac and Brown then surely it bodes well for our 2016. EMac being able to take the #1 forward should make a massive difference to our defensive set up and capability. Having Gov and Sheppard as intercept markers, Schoey and/or Brown taking the #2 forward, Hurn playing his natural position and moving further up field through the centre to launch long range missiles out of defence and in to attack. And then the classy run and carry off the half back line from Wellingham and Jetta around the wings and Duggan through the centre (and hopefully add Cole to that mix as well in 2017).

Our forward line must already be in the top 2 and should stay there, I think we have improved our midfield line-up over the off-season but I think our defensive setup is where we will have the biggest improvement next year. With our main key defenders back and adding some more class to transition out of defence it can only be a good thing. Just hope the adapted "web" doesn't collapse with all the changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think of our midfield's ranking on AFL.com.au?

I think it's a little harsh to have us at only 6th after finishing as runners up last year and being number 1 scoring from clearances. We lost Sinclair, Selwood and Rosa but we added Jetta, Redden and Giles. Overall I think that's a good upgrade. We also have a heap of room to improve with Yeo, Redden, Duggan and Sheed who all have gun potential - and I think at least 3 of them will step up in 2016. Masten, Lycett, Hutchings and even Giles are all pretty solid to rotate in as well. Sure we probably aren't top 3 but 6th I think is a bit unfair based on last year's stats - I'd have us 4th or 5th -> Freo, Haw, Syd, WCE, Port, Geelong, Pies, North.
Our midfield depth isn't that great right now though, potentially only Masten (or Duggan) and Hutchings ready to come in from outside the best 22 from round 1 unless someone like Parto or Cole does really well in pre-season. Nelson can also be used in the midfield unless he's required in defence, the AFL website should've included him, Hotline, Cole, Karps as depth mids as well. A lot of the depth mids are quite a long way away from getting an AFL game obviously. Lamb a possible long term midfield prospect.

Last edited:
B Butler MacKenzie Sheppard
HB Wellingham Schofield Hurn
C Gaff Priddis Yeo
HF LeCras McGovern Jetta
F Darling Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Redden

I Sheed Lycett Ellis Duggan

D Masten Brown Hutchings Hill Bennell Nelson

Will be harder to pick the best 22 for this coming season as opposed to previous seasons. Several selection and positional issues to be resolved:

1. 3 traditional talls in the backline - Does Brown come into the side to play alongside E and Will? Does McGovern play in a similar role to 2015 (I've picked him in the forward line so I don't believe he should). If Schofield has maintained the bulk he put on to take the key forward last season, then I would go with him and E as the traditional tall backs. If he loses some of the bulk, suggest swapping Brown and Butler with Schofield to take the third tall.

2. 6th Backman - Only position in the backline to be up for consideration. Given it to Butler but was close between himself and Ellis. Love the look of Nelson and believe he could move into that role during the year. Bennell has dropped off from his first season and the match committee seem to have lost confidence in him.

3. Where to play Jetta and Yeo - These two could play anywhere from half back to deep forward. Tentatively have Yeo through the centre and Jetta on the half forward line. Would like to see Yeo push forward often as a 4th tall and create some havoc for an already stretched back line and Jetta sometimes taking possession and running off the half back line. Plenty of inside mids this coming year so Yeo may not spend a lot of time there.

4. Can the forward line get any taller? - Kennedy/McGovern/Darling/Resting Rucks/Yeo are gonna prove way more than just a handful for the opposition back line. Is it too tall? I don't believe so and we have pace with LeCras, Jetta and Cripps. Let's hope we don't revert to previous 'bomb it long' strategies (much easier to defend) with all the tall timber up there. Looking forward to seeing a full preseason Darling back to his best and McGovern taking the most marks inside the F50.

5. What to do with Masten? - For me, Masten and Duggan are 22 and 23, with Duggan getting the nod after a bloody impressive first season. I'd like to see Masten improve his defending and maybe switch to a backup role to Wellingham. His kicking could do some real damage coming off the HB line.

6. The leftovers (also a really good tv show) - Extremely unlucky are Masten, Brown, Hutchings and Hill but such is the quality of our list, they will be most likely to miss the first game (touch wood no injuries - actually would expect the match committee to give Masten the I/C spot over Duggan). Plenty of competition this year and let's hope the first years get to play plenty of WAFL with our depth guys.

Sorry for the long post but haven't posted in a while and I've never been as excited for an upcoming season. C'mon Eagles!!!!!!!

Masten particularly & Hill to a certain extent are in 22 at seasons start.
With the experience thats been gained this year - unlikely for Butler AND Ellis to BOTH be in 22 & a suggest good chance BOTH miss out

Schofield emac hurn
Well mcgovern shep
Gaff priddis jetta
Lecras darling yeo
Cripps kennedy hill
Nait shuey redden
Duggan masten sheed lycett

Enough flexibility there to make it work

With the experience thats been gained this year - unlikely for Butler AND Ellis to BOTH be in 22 & a suggest good chance BOTH miss out

Schofield emac hurn
Well mcgovern shep
Gaff priddis jetta
Lecras darling yeo
Cripps kennedy hill
Nait shuey redden

We normally select 7 defenders. Who do you think out of the mids will be spending the time down there to make up that last spot in the backline?

Schofield emac hurn
Well mcgovern shep
Gaff priddis jetta
Lecras darling yeo
Cripps kennedy hill
Nait shuey redden

Yup thats my best 22 right there.

For me Yeo starts in the guts with shuey and priddis, masten to flank and redden to bench

Remove this Banner Ad

Back