2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpson said in interview this morning:

westcoasteagles: "We'll start Gov down back, but he will be pretty flexible for us up front and in the ruck." -AS

That makes it easier to guess a best team.

Wellingham Mackenzie Schofield
Sheppard McGovern Hurn
Jetta Priddis Gaff
Darling Yeo
LeCras Kennedy
Lycett Cripps

Naitanui Redden Shuey

Ellis Sheed Duggan Masten/Hill

I still want to see the Gov as a CHF but i also cant wait to see how we would have played the GOV in the dual role he was supposed to play last year. Maybe Lycett plays as a CHF with Darling on a flank. Mmmm so many options which is a very good position to be in!

I think a fit Darling is our best CHF option. Lycett will mostly likely be rested in the goal square.

Don

Dont you have to be able to tackle to play in the backline?

Or at least be able to intercept mark or simply mark above your head
Yeah his lack of accountability down back is a concern, I was thinking more as a defensive release. Tbh the more I think about it the more masten looks like he could be under some pressure this year to keep his spot.

my best 22 for the early round next season.
FB Hurn MacKenzie Schofield
HB Shepard Mcgovern Wellingham
C Masten Priddis Gaff
HF Jetta Darling Duggan
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo
I Lycett Hutchings Butler Ellis

I dont expect to see Sheed or Redden feature in the first few games.

Yeah his lack of accountability down back is a concern, I was thinking more as a defensive release. Tbh the more I think about it the more masten looks like he could be under some pressure this year to keep his spot.
Mitchell played a lot off half back and i wouldnt say he has a solid defensive game, however he played as the 7th defender so rarely had to look after an opponent

my best 22 for the early round next season.
C Masten Priddis Gaff
HF Jetta Darling Duggan
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo
I Lycett Hutchings Butler Ellis

I dont expect to see Sheed or Redden feature in the first few games.
Ellis for Hill would make sense - one of either Ellis, Butler even Nelson for the defensive bench spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the most recent article on our club's website apparently our B22 might look something like this:

B: ? Gov ?
HB: ? Gov ?
C: ? ? ?
HF: ? Gov ?
F: ? Gov ?
FOL: Gov ? ?
INT: ? ? ? ?

Well at least according to Gov.

Based on the most recent article on our club's website apparently our B22 might look something like this:

B: ? Gov ?
HB: ? Gov ?
C: ? ? ?
HF: ? Gov ?
F: ? Gov ?
FOL: Gov ? ?
INT: ? ? ? ?

Well at least according to Gov.
Gov needs to stay the hell away from second ruck. He is so much more valuable elsewhere either forward or back. Second ruck is a workhorse working class role for someone who doesnt have a position to make their own which gov clearly has. No offence to lycett but hes a number 1 ruck who can play 2nd ruck and pinch hit forward

Best 22 at the START of the year considering players fitness / injuries / development.

C Masten Priddis Gaff
HF Jetta Darling Hill
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo
I Lycett Duggan Butler Nelson

Sheed and Redden not quite right and Ellis picks up a soft tissue niggle in the NAB cup.

Best 22 at the END of the year assuming no injuries.

FB Hurn MacKenzie Butler
HB Shepard Schofield Wellingham
C Masten Priddis Gaff
HF Jetta McGovern Darling
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo
I Redden Duggan Sheed Hill / Ellis

Now THAT looks like a premiership team.:D:thumbsu:

McGovern provides ruck support and insurance down back.

They say you look at the bench to really rate a team.:thumbsu:

Best 22 at the START of the year considering players fitness / injuries / development.

C Masten Priddis Gaff
HF Jetta Darling Hill
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo
I Lycett Duggan Butler Nelson

Sheed and Redden not quite right and Ellis picks up a soft tissue niggle in the NAB cup.

Best 22 at the END of the year assuming no injuries.

FB Hurn MacKenzie Butler
HB Shepard Schofield Wellingham
C Masten Priddis Gaff
HF Jetta McGovern Darling
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo
I Redden Duggan Sheed Hill / Ellis

Now THAT looks like a premiership team.:D:thumbsu:

McGovern provides ruck support and insurance down back.

Can't see us playing with only one recognised ruckman. Asking a lot of McGovern who copped injuries this year because he had to do so much.

I can't see us using Gov to be the backup ruck either. He might pinch hit at stoppages a bit more in whichever half he is playing but he is too important for us as a KPP to add another role that would have him change position. The big problem imo with him playing forward is we lose a tremendous amount of intercept and contested marking capability if he does. Sheppard can play this role also but I think we need two in the back half personally. EMac will need to focus on the primary key forward. Brown and Schoey certainly can't step in to do that. Barrass possibly could but not sure he is ready to be B22 just yet - reckon he is a great backup though. No matter how I look a the stats, Gov coming out of CHB seems a massive loss. I don't think the gains forward outweigh those losses - it's not like we aren't damaging forward without him.

I had a look at Masten's stats over the past few years last night. I think he is a pretty good player but felt he didn't make as much of an impact as he should have done last year despite racking up decent disposal numbers. With Jetta now in the team could Masten get back to a more contested role in 2016? I think there is no doubt he will be B22 despite what many, including myself, have said on BF but I think he could play a far more damaging role than he was tasked with last season. In 2013 he was really good with contested possessions and his tackling (arguably our second best mid then), and he even scored a few goals. All of that seemed to be missing last year and in many games I felt like he was making up numbers and being a link up but not much more. I know we have Sheed and Duggan coming through but with Jetta and Gaff on the wings maybe Masten might get reignited if he was used in the middle in amongst it a bit more this season. I think he is probably the only player that Simpson hasn't worked out how to get the most out of and therefore what do do with yet. If Masten gets back his best I think it will be another upgrade for our midfield.

I had a look at Masten's stats over the past few years last night. I think he is a pretty good player but felt he didn't make as much of an impact as he should have done last year despite racking up decent disposal numbers. With Jetta now in the team could Masten get back to a more contested role in 2016? I think there is no doubt he will be B22 despite what many, including myself, have said on BF but I think he could play a far more damaging role than he was tasked with last season. In 2013 he was really good with contested possessions and his tackling (arguably our second best mid then), and he even scored a few goals. All of that seemed to be missing last year and in many games I felt like he was making up numbers and being a link up but not much more. I know we have Sheed and Duggan coming through but with Jetta and Gaff on the wings maybe Masten might get reignited if he was used in the middle in amongst it a bit more this season. I think he is probably the only player that Simpson hasn't worked out how to get the most out of and therefore what do do with yet. If Masten gets back his best I think it will be another upgrade for our midfield.
Too small to be contested.

I can't see us using Gov to be the backup ruck either. He might pinch hit at stoppages a bit more in whichever half he is playing but he is too important for us as a KPP to add another role that would have him change position. The big problem imo with him playing forward is we lose a tremendous amount of intercept and contested marking capability if he does. Sheppard can play this role also but I think we need two in the back half personally. EMac will need to focus on the primary key forward. Brown and Schoey certainly can't step in to do that. Barrass possibly could but not sure he is ready to be B22 just yet - reckon he is a great backup though. No matter how I look a the stats, Gov coming out of CHB seems a massive loss. I don't think the gains forward outweigh those losses - it's not like we aren't damaging forward without him.
I think with easy mac back, Barrass is better placed to get a spot in the side an make an impact. Last year he was forced on monstors like Dixon, jenkins and tex and struggled abit but for the type of key defender he is, he is better placed playing on the third talls and intercepting and not negating. With Emac back and Schoey taking the third tall, Barrass could actually. However, i feel Brown wont be overlooked if fit.

Gov needs to stay the hell away from second ruck. He is so much more valuable elsewhere either forward or back. Second ruck is a workhorse working class role for someone who doesnt have a position to make their own which gov clearly has. No offence to lycett but hes a number 1 ruck who can play 2nd ruck and pinch hit forward
Ruck is apparently Gov's favourite position though... :eek:
"I would love to play in the ruck, that's my favourite position on the ground," McGovern told the Eagles' website.
"It was great to spend a bit of time in there last season.
"It was great experience, and when you have Nic and Dean Cox to learn from, it's a great position to be in.
"I do like the idea of helping the team out however I can, so if it's swinging from back to forward, then I'd love to do it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-08/eagle-mcgovern-keen-to-help-out-in-the-ruck

I hope that Gov spends a lot of 2016 up forward though, especially if all our other KPD's are fit. Gov should only play in the ruck if one of our rucks go down in a match or if somehow only 1 of NN, Lycett, Fmac or Giles are available...

Last edited:
Do I win?

FB Hurn MacKenzie Butler
HB Sheppard Schofield Wellingham
C Masten Redden Gaff
HF Jetta Darling Hill
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps
R Lycett Sheed Yeo
I Naitanui Priddis Shuey McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 - Best 22