List Mgmt. 2016 Draft - It was on last Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only one Cat A rookie spot left. Can also get 2 Cat B rookie from the nominated players but if they are not good enough they will be overlooked.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/tigers-eyeing-off-kayle-kirby-as-a-category-b-rookie
We were the only team who had players nominated as Category B rookies drafted in the national draft - and we had three of them taken.

Doesn't really leave us with much to choose from.

Does anyone know much about Derek Smith and Billy Cooper?

We were the only team who had players nominated as Category B rookies drafted in the national draft - and we had three of them taken.

Billy is lightly built and was emergency for the Bushrangers finals campaign.
Can make the impossible look easy and vice versa.
Outside half forward.
Grandfather Garry was a Country Vic footy legend.
Has a younger cousin(15) who looks good , is of good size playing senior football and played vline this year.
He will provide a good indicator of whether the academy program is going to be of any value .

Derek Smith plays half back and was joint winner of B&F for the Sunraysia Football League playing for Wentworth Football Club and won the best rookie player. Only played one TAC game for Bendigo Pioneers so maybe that form does not stack up.

Billy Cooper played 9 TAC games and kicked 9 goals for Murray Bushrangers and is a small forward.

We got jibbed by the AFL with not being able to match the 3 players that went in the draft. We can get thw other undrafted nominated players if not snapped up by their clubs or the AFL nominated ones.

One thing that I personally haven't seen being talked about re "one kick off top 4" is that, yes we know about the Port v Freo game, but, I doubt North would have tanked against us in the last round (because they knew they would beat us in the finals) if we had beaten Freo.
Very good point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't draft for needs, you draft for talent. Check out this bloke:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Bowie
to understand why.

The point is that next year is widely considered to be choc full of key position talent, so say there are 9-10 considered good enough for first round, I'd take 2 given that the difference in talent between 1st rounders seems to be shrinking year on year so the argument of talent over needs Id argue is actually becoming less and less of a factor these days.

If you have 2 first rounders in a draft considered one of the best ever containing KPP's, you'd have to be a moron not to take 2 KPP players especially when youre in the position we are.

If only he was a drug cheat then we could have had some top up players

What a load of crap
I see your point , but I don't want any Tigers associated with drug cheating. It's hardly fair that a club with players with mhi is given less relief than a club with over 30 players who were involved in drug cheating .

I see your point , but I don't want any Tigers associated with drug cheating. It's hardly fair that a club with players with mhi is given less relief than a club with over 30 players who were involved in drug cheating .
Couldn't have put it better TI, well said.
We aren't the first club and won't be the last to have this happen to, no use complaining about it IMO
This is also true, we won't be the last which is why it's a fair argument that the system is changed in order to provide an even playing keel for all sides. Mental health issues seem more frequent now due to the associated stigma becomming somewhat diluted. They are no more common than previous years, but certainly an admission of having one is.

Very happy with the draft considering the late picks we had.
Bolton - great speed and agility and leap, could be a star
Graham - inside strong mid, consensus is he slid further than thought, great pick up
Garthwaite - fantastic attributes, needs to improve kicking technique although his disposal efficiency OK, KPP

I think* Richmond had a magnificent off-season, great work by all. We are due some luck in the draft, if one of the above become 100-200 gamer than that would be great, if more than one then that would be fantastic.:):)

I'm a glass half full type of guy;);):D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::drunk::drunk:

*edit - spelling

The point is that next year is widely considered to be choc full of key position talent, so say there are 9-10 considered good enough for first round, I'd take 2 given that the difference in talent between 1st rounders seems to be shrinking year on year so the argument of talent over needs Id argue is actually becoming less and less of a factor these days.

If you have 2 first rounders in a draft considered one of the best ever containing KPP's, you'd have to be a moron not to take 2 KPP players especially when youre in the position we are.
That was the idea behind this years draft. grab some midfielders, clean out deadwood, then load up with ready made kpp's in 2017. knock out several birds with two stones.

Richmond not doing everything in it's power to get him on the cheap is poor list management..... As per usual
How are we supposed to get him cheap if we haven't seen him play? The only reason you even know him and want him was his vfl performance, you had no clue who he even was before that. Big contradiction

How are we supposed to get him cheap if we haven't seen him play? The only reason you even know him and want him was his vfl performance, you had no clue who he even was before that. Big contradiction

he is just finding reasons to thrash the club. So he performed well in the VFL, big deal, so did Liam McBean and look what happened to him

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Draft - It was on last Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back