2016 Rate My Team

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 225537
Thoughts on first draft of my team, cheers.

I would drop Hartly, move A. Mcdona....(name to long to spell) to defence and start him at D6 (Dea/Broad defenders on the pine). Maybe bring Mcgovern/adams in, in the forward line on the pine.

I really dont like Rosa but, could be a good choice.

Very good team to be honest. great balance.

View attachment 225537
Thoughts on first draft of my team, cheers.

Agree largely with Schmidt2003 above, it's a nicely balanced team. As I posted on the last page, I have concerns over Rocky and Ablett, as they've played little game time in the PS. But, both are proven fantasy performers - so it's hard to take them both out....

I've tried the one premium and one mid ruck in the past and have been repeatedly burned - but this is just my experience. I'm putting two of the big guns in their and hopefully forgetting about it until the bye rounds approach (or, if I'm clever - which is unlikely - I'll have a look before I finalise my side). But that's more of a comment on what has happened to me, than your actual selections....

I would drop Hartly, move A. Mcdona....(name to long to spell) to defence and start him at D6 (Dea/Broad defenders on the pine). Maybe bring Mcgovern/adams in, in the forward line on the pine.

I really dont like Rosa but, could be a good choice.

Very good team to be honest. great balance.

I'll trust you on Hartly because honestly have never heard of most of the rookies before (usually just pick the most popular ones). Mcgovern may be named round 1 but will probably be dropped when Knight/Cameron are back.

Looking pretty good matey, I actually quite like the way you've structured your defense a nice and solid 2/2/2 structure Shaw and Houli are both good consistent scorers. Sheridan and Lonergan both have good job securities, should hopefully make you a solid profit whilst scoring well along the way. You of course have your two rookies in there as well. Keep a very close eye on the Round 1 teams like the rest of us though mate I'm still quite unsure whether Broad will play.

You've defiantly gone with quite a different bunch of Premium mids, I always recommend being different but you've already selected both Rocky and Ablett who are good selections but there is an element of risk involved with them both being underdone and not match. So when you're also picking Sidebottom who will probably play a lot more time down forward after how much the Pies have strengthened their midfield, I would expect it to affect his scoring. Mitchell is turning 34 this year, I know they say age is just a number and I don't see why he can't average 100pts per game there's no real potential upside. In reality he's more likely to lower his average than he is to raise it. Look into midfielders like Tom Mitchell and Taylor Adams who can average you that 100pts a game still but have that potential to raise their average even more and even go up in price. Or you could even turn a premo midfeilder into a midpricer to allow you to spend some extra money else where.

If you were to free up some cash I would recommend using it on your rucks. Gawn could be set for a huge season and a change of clubs may finally see Leuy step up to the level why every single coach has probably selected him at least once in the last few years. However not starting with Martin or Goldy is a huge risk. They should both have really big seasons and average over 110pts a game no problems, with just about every club having at least one of them you'll be missing out on a lot of guaranteed points.

As for your fowards it looks really good, quite stock standard but there's a reason most fowardlines look very similar because all of those players selected should all do well.

All the best with your side mate. :thumbsu:

Agree largely with Schmidt2003 above, it's a nicely balanced team. As I posted on the last page, I have concerns over Rocky and Ablett, as they've played little game time in the PS. But, both are proven fantasy performers - so it's hard to take them both out....

I've tried the one premium and one mid ruck in the past and have been repeatedly burned - but this is just my experience. I'm putting two of the big guns in their and hopefully forgetting about it until the bye rounds approach (or, if I'm clever - which is unlikely - I'll have a look before I finalise my side). But that's more of a comment on what has happened to me, than your actual selections....

I understand your concerns on Rocky & GAJ mate. Started with both last year too and got burnt, pretty sure i even used 5 trades on Rocky alone...

I understand your concerns on Rocky & GAJ mate. Started with both last year too and got burnt, pretty sure i even used 5 trades on Rocky alone...
Personally I've just gone with Rocky, I think he'll average more than Ablett come seasons end and I'm quite concerned on Ablett not getting named or being a late out for the Suns first game. If Gold Coast are aiming to make the top 8 why would they risk rushing Ablett back for their first game of the season, especially with them playing Essendon (no disrespect intended)

I think it's alright to grab one of them but to spend over a tenth of your salary cap (+1.1m) on two potentially underdone player is a bloody big call.

Personally I've just gone with Rocky, I think he'll average more than Ablett come seasons end and I'm quite concerned on Ablett not getting named or being a late out for the Suns first game. If Gold Coast are aiming to make the top 8 why would they risk rushing Ablett back for their first game of the season, especially with them playing Essendon (no disrespect intended)

I think it's alright to grab one of them but to spend over a tenth of your salary cap (+1.1m) on two potentially underdone player is a bloody big call.

From what I've heard, Gaz is certain starter Rnd1 and if he is, will surely score huge. Might be wrong, but won't there be partial lockout anyway so we'll know if he is playing Saturday arvo or not?

Screenshot stuffing up :/

Anyway my team is:

DEF: Laird - Docherty - Yeo - Johannisen - Harwood - Dea (Broad + Hartley)

MID: Lewis - T.Mitchell - Ablett - Rockliff - Hunter - M.Crouch - Oliver - Mills (Menadue + Davis)

RUCK: Gawn - Hickey ( Currie + Cox)

FOR: Deledio- Barlow - Hall - Kerridge - Wells - Milera ( P.Wright - Tippenwuiti )

$19k left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 225618

Thoughts, noting the bench is not set.

Gorringe as R2 is a risk. He didn't set the world on fire during NAB and he has competition. I know you've done that to free up cash ... but I don't think its a good move. I'd downgrade Fyfe to M.Crouch and upgrade Gorringe.

Gorringe as R2 is a risk. He didn't set the world on fire during NAB and he has competition. I know you've done that to free up cash ... but I don't think its a good move. I'd downgrade Fyfe to M.Crouch and upgrade Gorringe.
Yeah Gorringe wont be playing consistently if at all

Rate my team guys, interested in all feedback. At this point of time its the team I'll take into Round 1
Team Value: 9, 869

BACKS: Shaw, K. Kolodjashnij, B. Smith, Aish, E. Mackenzie, Dea ~ Ruggles and Broad
MIDFIELD: Pendlebruy (C), Dangerfield, S. Mitchell, Gibbs, M. Crouch, Jack Steele, Gresham, Menegola ~ Jansen and Beech
RUCKS: Martin and Leuenberger ~ Currie and Cox
FORWARDS: Deledio, Barlow, Z. Merrett, Franklin, Kerridge, Wells ~ Sam Frost and Kommer

Rate my team guys, interested in all feedback. At this point of time its the team I'll take into Round 1
Team Value: 9, 869

BACKS: Shaw, K. Kolodjashnij, B. Smith, Aish, E. Mackenzie, Dea ~ Ruggles and Broad
MIDFIELD: Pendlebruy (C), Dangerfield, S. Mitchell, Gibbs, M. Crouch, Jack Steele, Gresham, Menegola ~ Jansen and Beech
RUCKS: Martin and Leuenberger ~ Currie and Cox
FORWARDS: Deledio, Barlow, Z. Merrett, Franklin, Kerridge, Wells ~ Sam Frost and Kommer
Pendles is going to be unique this year by the look of it, so great pick for me. Reckon you've got more dynamic options than mackenzie for on field, although I think he is quality bench cover if you have the cash, Aish is a bit of a spud and also I think not best 22 i've read, Mitchell a super unique pick too, very strong forward line too, quality six, probably the best i've seen.

Thought on my team everyone?

Remaining Salary $7,000

DEF: Shaw, Boyd, Houli, Varcoe, Cowan, Adams (Collins, Broad)
MID: Ablett (c), Rocky, Kennedy, Treloar, Liberatore, Rich, Duggan, Macaffer (R.Davis, Menadue)
RUC: Smith, Nicholls (Currie, Cox)
FWD: Martin, Barlow, Franklin, Kerridge, Wells, Kommer (McCarthy, Sumner)

I chose Varcoe over Rosa, Treloar over Adams

Tossing up on Nicholls for Leuenberger, then upgrading Rich to a Shiel/Miles

With a week to go and the NAB Challenge all done and dusted I'm finally quite settled on my side so I thought I'd go and post my current side. Thoughts and opinions would be really appreciated.

upload_2016-3-17_19-32-29.png

- Still debating to go with Houli or Laird. I have Houli sitting there at the moment because he's a safe bet, he's very consistent and reliable. Has only missed two games over the last five years. His lowest average for a season over those last five years being 83ppg. I'll acknowledge that I think Laird has the higher ceiling but with quite a risky backline and with the fact that I really haven't spend that much down there the safer and more consistent option is probably required.

- Johannisen is probably the ultimate hype pick but If you're searching for a premium prospect and only have 425k to spend then you've got to select an unproven player. After his NAB Cup his confidence will be sky high the Doggies play their first seven games at Etihad Stadium and play the Saints, Blues, Lions, Crows, Dees and Giants over their first nine games. A seriously good draw to start the season gives him the potential to both score really well and make some coin.

- I'm still quite worried about Lonergan not being fit come round one, his price makes him quite vital to my structures so if he doesn't get up in time for the first game of the season I'll probably replace him with Sheridan. Which would leave me with exactly zero in the kitty, not much room to move If I don't change anything else.

upload_2016-3-17_19-59-34.png

- Really happy with my midfield. Tom Mitchell can be the next Dane Swan, absolutely racks up the stats, is quickly becoming a Fantasy pig. I know Danger hasn't ever been renowned for his Fantasy ability but he's now entering the peak of his career has gone back home and is ready to grab the AFL by it's balls he's actually my bet for the Brownlow. I can't see why won't average 110ppg this season. Rocky needs no intro, yes he may be a bit underdone but how can you not start with Rocky, especially at that price. It could take him a couple of weeks to really get going but he's not going to lose you any cash and get significantly low scores.

- Dylan Shiel is my POD, now entering his 5th season and I think he's primed to take his football to that elite level. As the Giants rise I believe so should his football. Had a bad run with injuries last year but after a good preseason, he averaged 90 points from his two NAB Challenge games with 77% TOG is pretty solid stuff.

- Hall & Graham are actually quite similar cases both are set to have key roles for their respected sides and should get plenty of time on the ball. Hall had an unbelievable run home last season, averaging 109ppg over the last six games of the season. Graham played his first game of last season as a sub but then averaged 82ppg over his next five games before getting injured and missing the rest of the season. Both have backed up their form of last season with absolutely super NAB Challenges. Gives you some faith that can consistently play to the standards of their form they played at last season and that their NAB Challenges has indicated.

- Very very happy to have both Mills and Oliver I know for rookies they're quite expensive but both have fantastic job security and I don't see why they both can't average 75-80ppg and make me at least 200k each along the way.

upload_2016-3-17_20-31-14.png

- Stefan Martin is the most expensive player in the game for a reason, nothing else needed to say.

- Traditionally I don't mind getting a midpricer as second ruckman. Smith isn't going to go and crack me 100pts every week but the extra cash he's freed up is very important for the rest of my team and structures. I think it'd be realistic to hope for an average score of 75-85ppg. He'll make me some extra money and then upgrade into a premo within the near future.

upload_2016-3-17_20-41-56.png

- Quite happy with my forwards, we all know what to expect from Dusty, he'll be in most sides this season, he's been there since day 1. Barlow is looking the fittest I've seen him in years, had a super NAB Challenge. I know he had a very poor start to last season and he couldn't consistently reach the standard we've all come to expect but it's a new season and I'm hoping to see him back to his best. Greene is another one who just racks the ball up, also had a super pre-season and looks raring to go. Three very stock standard premium forwards, just couldn't not select them.

- With the real lack of rookie forwards who have a good job security this year I'm quite glad I've been able to have the cash to pick up Ben Kennedy and Mitch Brown, I'd expect both to play important roles for their clubs and score much better than any other sub 195k forward rookie.

* Have 13k left in the kitty.

Really happy with how the team is starting look and finally happy with my structures. Still have one or two players I've got some concerns with, I'm also a little worried that I've spent a bit to much on rookies. Would love to hear what other people think. :D:thumbsu:

Thought on my team everyone?

Remaining Salary $7,000

DEF: Shaw, Boyd, Houli, Varcoe, Cowan, Adams (Collins, Broad)
MID: Ablett (c), Rocky, Kennedy, Treloar, Liberatore, Rich, Duggan, Macaffer (R.Davis, Menadue)
RUC: Smith, Nicholls (Currie, Cox)
FWD: Martin, Barlow, Franklin, Kerridge, Wells, Kommer (McCarthy, Sumner)

I chose Varcoe over Rosa, Treloar over Adams

Tossing up on Nicholls for Leuenberger, then upgrading Rich to a Shiel/Miles

I'd only take one of Collins and Adams, as only one is likely to play in Rd 1. I'm not convinced that Libba is 100 % over his injuries and ready to return to top form straight away, so I've swapped him for Hunter at this stage. Rucks are risky IMO.

Is McCarthy the GWS player who has walked out on them ? Or another one I can't think of right now ???

Varcoe is an interesting choice, he played really well against the Dogs - but will he get the ball enough ?? Depends on how the Pies use him....

I'd only take one of Collins and Adams, as only one is likely to play in Rd 1. I'm not convinced that Libba is 100 % over his injuries and ready to return to top form straight away, so I've swapped him for Hunter at this stage. Rucks are risky IMO.

Is McCarthy the GWS player who has walked out on them ? Or another one I can't think of right now ???

Varcoe is an interesting choice, he played really well against the Dogs - but will he get the ball enough ?? Depends on how the Pies use him....

Thanks for your feedback mate :)

McCarthy is from geelong. young fella, does ok, not much job security but, will depend on selections for him and collins and adams.

I went for varcoe cos he finished last year really strong (not sure what he scored in DT but), has been playign really well in NAB, a POD, will upgrade to Laird mid season hopefully

I have always like ZacSmith at GC, has a lot of potential but has fellow rucks in GEEL now also. Nicholls, now that smith has gone should step up, has great potential. I will eventually upgrade to maxy gawn or likes

Def: Shaw, Yeo, Howe, MacKenzie, Harwood, Dea (McDonald-Tippa, Broad)
Mid: TMitchell, Rockliff, Adams, Duncan, Hunter, MCrouch, Kerridge, Macaffer (Menadue, Davis)
Rucks: Martin, Goldstein (Currie, Cox)
Fwds: Barlow, Robinson, SGray, Hall, Wells, Kennedy (McCarthy, Kommer)

Worried a bit about Rockliff not flying down for the captains thing today but sounds like he's playing Rd 1

Last edited:
Def: Shaw, Yeo, Howe, MacKenzie, Harwood, Dea (McDonald-Tippa, Broad)
Mid: TMitchell, Rockliff, Adams, Duncan, Hunter, MCrouch, Kerridge, Macaffer (Menadue, Davis)
Rucks: Martin, Goldstein (Currie, Cox)
Fwds: Barlow, Robinson, SGray, Hall, Wells, Kennedy (McCarthy, Kommer)

Worried a bit about Rockliff not flying down for the captains thing today but sounds like he's playing Rd 1
I'm shy on ROcky, but at his price, you cannot ignore him IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Rate My Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back