2016 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a Round 3 debut he ain't on the bubble til Round 5 at the earliest. You'd be mad to start him. Coming along at the perfect downgrade time now.
I'm with this. He's a long term prospect, coming back from a knee reco, the will not rush him back. He'll have a few weeks in the VFL.
Rd 5 or 6 debut I reckon

It will be good to have him come in RD3-5 will give everyone a chance to offload a crap rookie.
Yeah. As always we'll probably have a rookie or 2 who plays in round 1 and 2, then gets dropped or injured.

I rate BenKen as a cash cow this year.
He's played ~50 AFL/VFL games and been given a second chance in his career.
It was bit hard to stand out in amongst guys like Pendles, Beams, Swan, Sidebottom, Adams, Elliot, etc. at the Pies. He also wore the green vest a bunch.
I can see him playing 22 games and averaging 70 this season.

I rate BenKen as a cash cow this year.
He's played ~50 AFL/VFL games and been given a second chance in his career.
It was bit hard to stand out in amongst guys like Pendles, Beams, Swan, Sidebottom, Adams, Elliot, etc. at the Pies. He also wore the green vest a bunch.
I can see him playing 22 games and averaging 70 this season.
Will he play midfield though?

I see him pigeoned holed as a small forward.

Will he play midfield though?

I see him pigeoned holed as a small forward.
I reckon he'll get some mid time, he'll still tackle hard and get a bit of the ball playing up the ground

I reckon he'll get some mid time, he'll still tackle hard and get a bit of the ball playing up the ground
Lil Papley playing midfield against brutes? He'll get pancaked.

Sydney have 300 other midfield types to rotate before lil Papley. Suited to small forward pressure role.

Papley didn't play in a NEAFL praccy match this morning. He wasn't injured (was out kicking the footy at half time with Towers). Hewett and Newman played, which doesn't bode well for them.

Papley is a lock for Round 1. But based off this morning, Hewett might play, but Newman won't. He had a shocker!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Papley didn't play in a NEAFL praccy match this morning. He wasn't injured (was out kicking the footy at half time with Towers). Hewett and Newman played, which doesn't bode well for them.

Papley is a lock for Round 1. But based off this morning, Hewett might play, but Newman won't. He had a shocker!
Do you think Papley is only in because McGlynn has been ruled out for round 1 or do you reckon he did enough to cement a spot in the team even with McGlynn? Reading the Sydney board it seems a lot rate Hewett a decent chance to play in round 1 too but it sounds like Newman is still a work in progress.

Do you think Papley is only in because McGlynn has been ruled out for round 1 or do you reckon he did enough to cement a spot in the team even with McGlynn? Reading the Sydney board it seems a lot rate Hewett a decent chance to play in round 1 too but it sounds like Newman is still a work in progress.

Yeah I think that is the case. But he has added something throughout the NAB Challenge that we've missed for ages! Personally, I don't think McGlynn will play more than 5 games this year. His output decreased significantly last year and he has multiple injury issues. I think Papley can make that crumbing forward spot his own with some good performances early on. The sub rule would've killed Papley's chances.

Hewett adds a touch of class that we lack and can kick goals. Kicked a couple this morning as well. He's good on both sides which is a plus.

Newman has a good leg on him...but his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Tends to make it someone elses problem by booting it upfield or straight in the air.

Is it worth having all of Weitering, Dea, Menadue, Kennedy and McCarthy round 1?
Probably. They all have good job security and there don't appear to be many basement priced picks with the same security. Personally at the moment I've only got Dea and Menadue from those 5 but the other 3 have all been rotating in and out of my team. I particularly like Kennedy's scoring potential and Weitering will most likely be worth his price (and then some) too.

Yeah I think that is the case. But he has added something throughout the NAB Challenge that we've missed for ages! Personally, I don't think McGlynn will play more than 5 games this year. His output decreased significantly last year and he has multiple injury issues. I think Papley can make that crumbing forward spot his own with some good performances early on. The sub rule would've killed Papley's chances.

Hewett adds a touch of class that we lack and can kick goals. Kicked a couple this morning as well. He's good on both sides which is a plus.

Newman has a good leg on him...but his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Tends to make it someone elses problem by booting it upfield or straight in the air.

Good to hear a Sydney fans perspective! Papley definitely looked sharp in the NAB. Interesting to hear your thoughts about McGlynn, I used to rate him quite highly as a player with a bit of x factor but sounds like he's really struggled in the last year or so. I'll keep an eye out for Hewett on the team sheets next week too, he could be that 123k midfielder I really need

Good to hear a Sydney fans perspective! Papley definitely looked sharp in the NAB. Interesting to hear your thoughts about McGlynn, I used to rate him quite highly as a player with a bit of x factor but sounds like he's really struggled in the last year or so.

2014 was a huge season for him, career bests in most areas. But he's always been injury prone, and last year it caught up with him (only 9 games). He's been injured for most of pre-season too. He's a good player, but I think he may have gone on one season too long.

Lil Papley playing midfield against brutes? He'll get pancaked.

Sydney have 300 other midfield types to rotate before lil Papley. Suited to small forward pressure role.
Talking about BenKen :)

Save a trade, get him now.

The Postie

Maybe, but no J/S. Ben Kennedy a better pick for an extra 30k.

The Postie should be in your DEF line, not FWD.

Wait. Weren't you critising everyone on here for going with what everyone else is doing?

Are you part of the 12-man Bombers squad training on the sidelines? Highest average was 66 in his first season of AFL Football. If you think being a top-up player at the Bombers after Freo discarded him will suddenly make him jump to 80-90 you've got rocks in your head. Save a trade, leave him out.

Agree with most of this, except for picking Polkinghorne. Other than being cheaper, why do you disregard Crowley as a discard yet think Polkinghorne is worth picking when we know he isn't likely to play in the first few rounds?

I jumped on Sam Gray (2014) after his first game of 104. Next 2 were 38 & 45. He got dropped and didn't play till rd12. Sat on my bench all year.

Did similar with Cheney. Learnt my lesson about at least waiting until after week 2 for those trades.

Is it worth having all of Weitering, Dea, Menadue, Kennedy and McCarthy round 1?
Yes. Terrible year for rookies. I'd say you have to. You'll struggle to fill all your slots unless you get a few Reltons in otherwise. Woeful rookie year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back