List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA period is underway! The official thread (Check OP for official updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we spend seven years developing a player, finally start to see the fruits of our labour then shop him around for a 2nd rounder in the hope that we pick up someone who would prove just as effective (but have to wait another few years just to start to get any return on that player)?

It makes no sense, we did the Vince trade because we were penalised with draft sanctions and had SFA early picks.

If Lyons goes, it won't be as a ticket back into the 2nd round, it will be as a ticket to another big ticket item or packaged to gain a much higher pick (ie. high 1st rounder) - or we really have lost the plot completely.

Why trade the only pure inside goalkicking mid we have on the list, when we need his type more than ever, makes absolutely no sense.
Because Lyons' value is at an all time high and his type of player is a surplus to our requirements. He will leave for some security and a more lucrative deal.

Lyons was pick 61. If you are able to get a 2nd round draft pick for him, then it gets you back into the draft. You are obliged to make a minimum of 3 picks in the draft so the earlier your picks are, the more chance you have of making a good pick.

This is considered a great draft for the midfielders and a lot of great value picks in the 2nd round. The worst thing we can do is hold on to an asset for too long until it loses all the value.

I suspect that 1 or possibly 2 out of Lyons, CEY and Grigg will not be on our list when it's all said and done. You need to keep the list balanced with youth and experience and I think Lyons, as much as I like him and have liked him for years, is a prime candidate to get us into the 2nd round range.

Gibbs is just the type of mid we need. Rockliff is the type we already have.

I'm not sure he is the type of mid we need, he's the type of mid we will take, he will make us more attacking, but that wasn't our issue. Defense was our issue, we need a mid that applies pressure, a mid that tackles like a maniac. A modern day Jude Bolton is the type of mid who would make the biggest difference to our side. Someone that would allow Sloane to be more attacking and not rely on him to make 10+ tackles a game to beat the top 4 sides.

Brendon Ah Chee wants out of Port.

They'll be active in the first round with their own pick, plus the one they'll get for Lobbe and NOW Ah Chee.

I've been mashing the various trade scenarios posted here and I can see a very small chance of us ending up with Gibbs, Rockliff and the right lower pick(s) for Jarman comma B full stop.

Fantasy, I know. But....
Pick 13 and Dear to Carlton for Gibbs. If they want another player we can get a 2nd rounder back
2017 first rounder and CEY to Brisbane for Rocky
Trade another fringe player for a second rounder, although can see Lyons staying now, he certainly doesn't want to go. I'm happy to keep him
This would be the perfect trade period imo

I'm not sure he is the type of mid we need, he's the type of mid we will take, he will make us more attacking, but that wasn't our issue. Defense was our issue, we need a mid that applies pressure, a mid that tackles like a maniac. A modern day Jude Bolton is the type of mid who would make the biggest difference to our side. Someone that would allow Sloane to be more attacking and not rely on him to make 10+ tackles a game to beat the top 4 sides.
For me, our most pressing need is a mid that can consistently find targets by foot. That's Gibbs.

Rockliff averages about 8 tackles a game so he'd help

Because Lyons' value is at an all time high and his type of player is a surplus to our requirements. He will leave for some security and a more lucrative deal.

Lyons was pick 61. If you are able to get a 2nd round draft pick for him, then it gets you back into the draft. You are obliged to make a minimum of 3 picks in the draft so the earlier your picks are, the more chance you have of making a good pick.

This is considered a great draft for the midfielders and a lot of great value picks in the 2nd round. The worst thing we can do is hold on to an asset for too long until it loses all the value.

I suspect that 1 or possibly 2 out of Lyons, CEY and Grigg will not be on our list when it's all said and done. You need to keep the list balanced with youth and experience and I think Lyons, as much as I like him and have liked him for years, is a prime candidate to get us into the 2nd round range.
We will take what we can get for Lyons. We would virtually have to be offered nothing for him to be on the list in a couple of weeks time.

I suspect all 3 may be gone, but I'd keep Lyons before the others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The very fact that our List Management Dept re-contracted Thompson was absolute idiocy....off the f*ckin planet stupidity. It's not what he's being paid, it's that he's going to spend another year robbing one of our Rookies of game time in the middle. Should never have happened. In my opinion, we should've retired Thommo at the end of 2014, if not earlier, but we're now giving him another year. F*ckin ridiculous.

Also, I am not meaning to sh*t can Gibbs, as he's truly top shelf, but we just don't need that type of player. We need to focus all our efforts, lock, stock, and both barrels, into getting the best Mids around. And that doesn't stop with Rockliff. We've got a track record of f*cking things up during the Trade Period, so none of this latest news has me thrilled.

While your opinions are valid, it's lucky for the fans that you aren't in charge or even just work for the Adelaide Crows List Management Department with your fruity loopy views on AFL players.

I wonder if Sydney have an interest in Lyons considering their salary cap woes on the low cost of a quality mid thanks to the Adelaide low ball contract offer

Lyons is not surplus to our requirements whichever way you choose to spin it, if he were, he would not have been playing all year or one of our most important midfielders throughout.

Who else besides Sloane and Brouch applied nearly as much pressure and tackling while winning large contested ball numbers and hitting targets and the scoreboard consistently all year? Something we're all guilty of bitching and moaning about after being sorely found out yet again against Sydney.

Lyons did.

Why would you willingly trade a proven commodity for an unknown, especially after putting so much time into him? I would suggest packaging up any later picks (ideally 3rd rounders) we receive for players on our list who are actually surplus to requirements - CEY, Otten, Grigg - for a 2nd round pick from one of the academy clubs, preferably GC who have a surplus on 2nd round picks...

That way we keep one of our best performed mids in a year we were reasonably successful, while removing the offcuts and still working our way into the precious 2nd round... does that not make more sense to you??

Yeah, they must look at the midfield they slapped around in the semi with envy.
Pretty big hole in their middle once Mitchell goes. Can Hewitt really fill that gap? I know Heeney will play more mid time, but doesn't mean they aren't missing Lyons like player, especially when they need to offer Heeney big money they don't have next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/FA period is underway! The official thread (Check OP for official updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back