Draft Watcher 2016 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit curious as to the logic behind the bid on Callum Brown coming right before Collingwood's pick #28, despite the fact that you have him rated at #45.

Why would you expect a bid to come in significantly higher than your ranking of him, particularly given that he's a father-son prospect, which we've seen result in later bids than otherwise justified, and he's a small midfielder, the type least likely to get another club excited?

I personally rate him lower. Because I see him as a lightly framed half forward, as opposed to someone who will have a genuine midfield impact. That's my view.

But my phantom is a combination of my thoughts and what I think will happen. Cal Twomey has Brown ranked at #27 overall, I know people like to discount his opinion sometimes but he's far better than anyone on BigFooty. And other judges also have him in that 25-35 range. So I see no reason why a bid wouldn't come in around there, even if Collingwood fans wouldn't like it.

Hi Chris

I think your picks are very close..and all make sense.

Dogs needs are small forward -Betts clone
Backman who can replace Morris
Outside onballer

Bolton
Rotham

are perfect

It would be a very good draft for the Bulldogs. Unlikely that Rotham gets that far, I'd like to think, but an outside chance. I could see them looking at Sam Walker from SA too as someone who could fill the Morris/Murphy void.

But Bolton would be perfect. With how good their drafting has been, I think they can take a chance now on someone with raw outside talent.

It would be a very good draft for the Bulldogs. Unlikely that Rotham gets that far, I'd like to think, but an outside chance. I could see them looking at Sam Walker from SA too as someone who could fill the Morris/Murphy void.

But Bolton would be perfect. With how good their drafting has been, I think they can take a chance now on someone with raw outside talent.

I also think with a Gun FF a Solid HB added -Sandi and Fyfe back fit and Weller exploding 2 Gun brothers on the Wings with pace Fremantle will make the 8 I just loaded at sports bet...get on it

Excellent draft so far, I'd be over the moon with Logue and Simpkin as our first two. Now, if you could swing us a speedy utility with good kicking skills and Max Lynch our way......

Excellent draft so far, I'd be over the moon with Logue and Simpkin as our first two. Now, if you could swing us a speedy utility with good kicking skills and Max Lynch our way......

It's like you've read my mind. Max Lynch will indeed be bid on by Sydney in the third round.

Great read Chris as usually very insightful and the Blues 1st & 2nd picks are good. Will Brodie and Kobe Mutch would be excellent choices , reinvigorate and augment our midfield and just what we need.
Appreciate yr work.

Hey Chris,
Just wondering if your big board still has another update to go? I noticed you've got Brodie at #4 and Bowes at #5 yet, if I've read it correctly, your phantom has Bowes described as a better player than Brodie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Chris,
Just wondering if your big board still has another update to go? I noticed you've got Brodie at #4 and Bowes at #5 yet, if I've read it correctly, your phantom has Bowes described as a better player than Brodie?

Yeah, my big board will have another update to come. Once I've finished the third round player profiles.

Hi Chris
How do you rate someone like Liam Ryan from Subiaco. Do you see him being drafted or as a rookie listing? The kid has some special talents.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like I've hit team needs alright. I'll try to get the third round posted tonight.

Chris I saw Griffin Logie on the news tonight and he was impressive.
Already an elite athlete, 15.7 beep, under 10 minute 3km run, big enough to be a key position and also a midfielder. I'd be looking at him at number 7. What's your take on him and do you think the Dockers will consider him with their first pick?

Well, it was a little delayed but I've gotten around to posting the third round on the opening page.

I've also reluctantly removed Alex Villis, I did have him at St Kilda's pick in the second round. I'd heard whisperings about his health problems, but waited for 'official' word. I'll still have him in my power rankings though.

Surprised you dont have Sam Walker in the first 3 rounds of your mock.

Also not sure why you just inserted Morrish at St Kilda's pick rather than reassess their options.

Surprised you dont have Sam Walker in the first 3 rounds of your mock.

Also not sure why you just inserted Morrish at St Kilda's pick rather than reassess their options.

I still have Sam Walker in the top 30 of my personal rankings, but I don't think he goes as early in the actual draft. He'll feature somewhere in the 4th round, and I'll expand on why then. But I think he lacks some important attributes, ones that recruiters value highly.

As for Morrish, it's not that I was being a lazy and just shoved him in there. As I was putting together the third round, he's someone I reassessed and went back to look at again. And I genuinely think he's a top 30 prospect. Potentially not best available there, but I think he'll appeal and has some nice versatility. Someone with his size and foot skills should never be discounted.

Im assuming you dont rate Poholke at all.

What are your knocks on him?

I don't mind Poholke, I have him around the 50-60 mark. I can see him coming in and debuting pretty early next year. From all reports, he's a good professional young kid. I liken him a little to Tom Bell, I don't think he quite has the class to his game to be a true and damaging midfielder. I see him as a strong bodied half forward, whose work rate will have to make up for a lack of refinement.

Hi Chris
How do you rate someone like Liam Ryan from Subiaco. Do you see him being drafted or as a rookie listing? The kid has some special talents.

I think he gets drafted, somewhere around the 50-70 mark probably. I don't feel like I've seen enough of some of the state league players to include them in my draft though. Him and Luke Ryan from the VFL are the main ones. The state leagues just aren't something I watch much of, other than to see the kids playing. The exception is Willie Rioli from the SANFL.

Chris I saw Griffin Logie on the news tonight and he was impressive.
Already an elite athlete, 15.7 beep, under 10 minute 3km run, big enough to be a key position and also a midfielder. I'd be looking at him at number 7. What's your take on him and do you think the Dockers will consider him with their first pick?

I'm a big fan of Logue, have been since the Championships. He was a cut above the other talls, and I did see some of his WAFL league games and his form was good. I think he's as ready made as an 18 year old KPP can be. My take is that he's still best played as a key defender, not a midfielder. I think he'd be an option for Fremantle at #7, but more as a back up option - if all of SPS, Ainsworth and English are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back