Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we'll go with the best available at #2 (probably UDL) and then go local at #5. Lachie Weller's leaving would have rocked the club and I reckon will have an impact on our drafting. So then it probably comes down to Naughton or Allen at #5.
With our success rate with SA, don't be surprised if Fogarty is looked at. Comes from a small town and
offers the most versatilty, been mentioned as the best kick in the draft.
Medium risk, but could have the highest ceiling to a team that lacks goal kickers. At the end of the day
this draft should deliver some real Grunt.

I had a business dinner on Wednesday night, got told there by someone who had no need to make things up, that the dockers had been talking to his mates son, I asked what their last name was, got told Murphy. I'm sure someone can figure out who he is and with what pick they may be thinking of using for him.

Was no mention of draft position etc. But thought you guys would find it interesting.

Cordin’ to Hagdorn, the Pies are taking Naughton at pick 6 which means that if we want him, we have get him at pick 5.
Both Gunston and Roughhead are 193cm, would anyone say they been average key position players?
Fogarty is now the same height, even if Naughton is the next Rance, with Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue
available who would he keep out?

With our success rate with SA, don't be surprised if Fogarty is looked at. Comes from a small town and
offers the most versatilty, been mentioned as the best kick in the draft.
Medium risk, but could have the highest ceiling to a team that lacks goal kickers. At the end of the day
this draft should deliver some real Grunt.
Good point. The 'go home' factor doesn't appear to be as strong with SA players. Geography will be a big factor in this year's draft. Kicking should probably come into it at some point too.

I had a business dinner on Wednesday night, got told there by someone who had no need to make things up, that the dockers had been talking to his mates son, I asked what their last name was, got told Murphy. I'm sure someone can figure out who he is and with what pick they may be thinking of using for him.

Was no mention of draft position etc. But thought you guys would find it interesting.
I assume that means Nathan Murphy, bit of a bolter ex-cricketer, some expect him to go in the top 10 now but it seems unlikely we'd take him at 5. There wouldn't be a player in the top 30 we hadn't talked to or a player in the top 15 that we hadn't been to their house and met family and friends, it's just part of due diligence.

We have been into him apparently for ages, and unfortunately is now touted as a bolter, Saints pick.

I assume that means Nathan Murphy, bit of a bolter ex-cricketer, some expect him to go in the top 10 now but it seems unlikely we'd take him at 5. There wouldn't be a player in the top 30 we hadn't talked to or a player in the top 15 that we hadn't been to their house and met family and friends, it's just part of due diligence.

Is it? According to what I was told, only one other club had talked to him. So to date all other clubs aren't doing what you suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With his back half of the year in no way is Brander part of our "ultimate draft"
I'm a bit over this 'he's no good at 5, maybe later in the draft' stuff. That works if there's other 195cm forwards in the draft you would prefer, but there's not, and I guarentee he won't be there at 41.

It really comes down to the question: Do you want to fix the forward line or not?

I just think a 195cm Key Forward would be high on the agenda... or, you know, we could just keep playing Taberner and hoping he can play more that 2 good games in a row and keep the hogan crap for another 12 months hoping one will fall in our lap OR we can blinkin' well draft one (or a couple!)

Unless there's been some change in the rules - if you want a key forward (who's any good) you need to draft one... early.

Having said all that, and to completely contradict myself, I'd still favour Fogarty.

Footy's a funny game.

Last edited:
Cordin’ to Hagdorn, the Pies are taking Naughton at pick 6 which means that if we want him, we have get him at pick 5.
pardon this, but, derr (oldies will get that) :cool:
of course we would need to use 2 or 5 on him if we want him, as there is no way he will be available when we have our 3rd pick

here is where i kinda contradict myself.
I'm guessing this is the post - Harley Balic strategy, wherein if a highly rated player slides for whatever reason, we have done the homework should he be available for our pick.

Could he be worth pick 5?
If only 2 clubs have spoken to him it's unlikely it's Nathan Murphy. Nathan could be the best player in the draft in a few years time but taking him at 5 is a very speculative call when the consensus top 5-7 are all pretty good and safe picks

"Nathan Murphy (188.3cm, 79.9kg - DOB: 15/12/1999 - Medium Utility)

Bio: Murphy is a versatile flanker that boasts strong endurance traits, overhead marking and a long penetrating and classy right foot kick. Having a late December birthday and having not fully focused on AFL until late in his junior career means that there is plenty of growth left in his game and so taking the punt on him at this selection is quite justified as I see some elite traits that Murphy has at his disposal that will translate well into the AFL given he has enough time to learn some of the running patterns and such as he does on occasion look lost not knowing where to run."

I'm a bit over this 'he's no good at 5, maybe later in the draft' stuff. That works if there's other 195cm forwards in the draft you would prefer, but there's not, and I guarentee he won't be there at 41.

It really comes down to the question: Do you want to fix the forward line or not?

I just think a 195cm Key Forward would be high on the agenda... or, you know, we could just keep playing Taberner and hoping he can play more that 2 good games in a row and keep the hogan crap for another 12 months hoping one will fall in our lap OR we can blinkin' well draft one (or a couple!)

Unless there's been some change in the rules - if you want a key forward (who's any good) you need to draft one... early.

Could you elaborate;

The kind of past or current key forward who would "fix" our forward line?
Would they impact so much as to help us win a premiership?
What player in the present 2018 and future 2019 draft would be that for us

If only 2 clubs have spoken to him it's unlikely it's Nathan Murphy. Nathan could be the best player in the draft in a few years time but taking him at 5 is a very speculative call when the consensus top 5-7 are all pretty good and safe picks

"Nathan Murphy (188.3cm, 79.9kg - DOB: 15/12/1999 - Medium Utility)

Bio: Murphy is a versatile flanker that boasts strong endurance traits, overhead marking and a long penetrating and classy right foot kick. Having a late December birthday and having not fully focused on AFL until late in his junior career means that there is plenty of growth left in his game and so taking the punt on him at this selection is quite justified as I see some elite traits that Murphy has at his disposal that will translate well into the AFL given he has enough time to learn some of the running patterns and such as he does on occasion look lost not knowing where to run."

Even if it is Nathan, would be in the late pick category for us - not 2, 5 or 42.

Why is that? He would be getting a compo pick for Adelaide.
If they know you have pick #2 and they will get pick #15 from the AFL, they could match the deal. Especially if they really want one of those two top picks from SA.

It might actually work out well for North, because you'd hold the whip hand.

#2 for Sloane, #15, Talia

Who knows.

Our obsession with picking a power forward has led us to some poor decisions in the past , let's not make the same mistakes again , Naughton would also be a strange decision , Based on the fact that Alex Pearce is returning , Cox and Logue were recruited only last year , And Collins was told at his exit meeting that there were just too many vying for that position ,

Good 'ol Bob. Would be a great get to add to our coaching ranks. Won't even cost us a pick - bargain!

Not many u18s with the surname Murphy, there is a Liam in the SANFL but there is very little information about him

Not from SA so I doubt it's him.

Must be Nathan. The mail about other clubs could be off or out dated? It was a 30 second convo so i'm light on other details.

Sounds Stephen Hill like. Anyway I knew you guys would find it interesting. Enjoy your picks.

Good day to you all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back