Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was in a league team, not u18 kids ;)
Sure, but it was 1 goal.

If he kicks a few bags of 3+ then I think it becomes a valid discussion. There is no way you would draft him early to play forward is Chris' point, and one well made.

Have you had the privilege of watching him play against big bodies and the AFL listed boys at East Perth.? He has come on in less and bounds the last couple of months. He kicked a great goal against the leading WAFL side in Subi plus the clutch goal to ice the game last week. The kid is a gun but because of the lack of press coverage that the East coasters get he isn't looked at in the same light as the Branders etc.
Not true anymore. Naughton is starting to get plenty of love with the draft "gurus" as a defender. Has come into some top 10s if I am not mistaken. All still have Brander ahead but it is closing.

Yep its Branders or the bush.;)
Haven't read my latest in here then. I'm now on the Stephenson train because everyone keeps telling me Brander is a defender.

Pre Championships, there were quite a few people saying Brander was a better defender than forward. Myself and some of his Geelong Grammar coaches included. Him playing down back for the Allies certainly wasn't a surprise and it wasn't down to highlight his versatility. I still think he'll be a good forward, but a better defender.

As for Balta, I'm not taking him in the first round. He'll take a fair bit of work to become a KPP, his best work has been as a midfielder/ruck. Give him an opponent and he tends to struggle.

Hugh Dixon is a player I like, somewhere around the middle of the draft. Nathan Kreuger is talented, but we'd just be adding him to the rest of our not quite key position sized forwards like McCarthy and Kersten.
Fair enough. Unless Balta screws up the combine I think he should attract a first rounder - should be the fastest tall in the pool easily. He's 194cm isn't he? Yet he moves like a midfielder and manages to play ruck so obviously has a great leap.

How tall is Kreuger? I thought he was 196cm? Like Balta, seems to be too agile for a guy that size.

Subi as well Meima, you need to get out more.;)
I am not against picking up Naughton , but we all need to wider our discussion rather than only Naughton as freo first rd pick. I think you won't be too disappointed if the club pick other instead of Naughton :).

Fair enough. Unless Balta screws up the combine I think he should attract a first rounder - should be the fastest tall in the pool easily. He's 194cm isn't he? Yet he moves like a midfielder and manages to play ruck so obviously has a great leap.

How tall is Kreuger? I thought he was 196cm? Like Balta, seems to be too agile for a guy that size.
Kreuger is pretty skinny , will adding bulk decrease his agility ? Just look at cam Mac current size .

Last edited:
Sure, but it was 1 goal.

If he kicks a few bags of 3+ then I think it becomes a valid discussion. There is no way you would draft him early to play forward is Chris' point, and one well made.
But (recruiters) aren't looking for just bags of goals - especially against men. It's not really that impressive to kick a bag against a bunch of kids 10cm shorter than you. I wouldn't be assessing his forward potential either way just based on one game - 4th rounder :rolleyes:.

They are looking at whether the draftees have the attributes to suit roles in an AFL environment. Naughton's marking is the best I've seen in this pool - Cox had a great mark from last year's pool. The only downside for Naughton is his size but he's got a great footy brain that makes up for it.

Sure, but it was 1 goal.

Not true anymore. Naughton is starting to get plenty of love with the draft "gurus" as a defender. Has come into some top 10s if I am not mistaken. All still have Brander ahead but it is closing.

Haven't read my latest in here then. I'm now on the Stephenson train because everyone keeps telling me Brander is a defender.

Don't listen to the so called experts. ;)They know as much as we do . Go with your gut. I don't care where Naughton plays. He is a gun ,from the right state and in my humble opinion, and thats all any of us have, humble opinions Naughton is the best available at Freo's pick.

But (recruiters) aren't looking for just bags of goals - especially against men. It's not really that impressive to kick a bag against a bunch of kids 10cm shorter than you. I wouldn't be assessing his forward potential either way just based on one game - 4th rounder :rolleyes:.

They are looking at whether the draftees have the attributes to suit roles in an AFL environment. Naughton's marking is the best I've seen in this pool - Cox had a great mark from last year's pool. The only downside for Naughton is his size but he's got a great footy brain that makes up for it.
4th rounder was probably harsh, but no way he would get selected in the top 20 as a FORWARD. He has played how many games up front and kicked how many goals?

Aside from the fact that somebody would 100% select him as a defender LONG before he got drafted as a forward you can't just extrapolate out that he is super talented defender with smarts therefore he can play forward at a similar level. That never happens. The reverse does for forwards who don't cut it going back.

Name me a genuine defender who went forward and was a genuine A grade forward (which is what you want from pick 5).

Don't listen to the so called experts. ;)They know as much as we do . Go with your gut. I don't care where Naughton plays. He is a gun ,from the right state and in my humble opinion, and thats all any of us have, humble opinions Naughton is the best available at Freo's pick.
I certainly hope our recruiters know more than us.

In any event, my gut says we don't need a KPD anywhere near as much as other areas of the team so that rules out Naughton unless he is the Carey of defenders. My gut says he will be good, but not that good.

Brander I think looked way better as a forward when I saw him if we are going on gut feels I would go him.

My gut also says don't draft flight risks and the state you are from is a tie-breaker only, and not a major part of the decision making process.

Last edited:
Have you had the privilege of watching him play against big bodies and the AFL listed boys at East Perth.? He has come on in leaps and bounds the last couple of months. He kicked a great goal against the leading WAFL side in Subi plus the clutch goal to ice the game last week. The kid is a gun but because of the lack of press coverage that the East coasters get he isn't looked at in the same light as the Branders etc.

I haven't seen him live obviously, but I've watched his Peel games. I rate him a top 15 prospect in this draft...as a defender. And that's my entire point. As a forward, there are many better options in my opinion.

But I get it, he plays for Peel.

4th rounder was probably harsh, but no way he would get selected in the top 20 as a FORWARD. He has played how many games up front and kicked how many goals?

Aside from the fact that somebody would 100% select him as a defender LONG before he got drafted as a forward you can't just extrapolate out that he is super talented defender with smarts therefore he can play forward at a similar level. That never happens. The reverse does for forwards who don't cut it going back.

Name me a genuine defender who went forward and was a genuine A grade forward (which is what you want from pick 5).

I certainly hope our recruiters know more than us.

In any event, my gut says we don't need a KPD anywhere near as much as other areas of the team so that rules out Naughton unless he is the Carey of defenders. My gut says he will be good, but not that good.

Brander I think looked way better as a forward when I saw him if we are going on gut feels I would go him.

My gut also says don't draft flight risks and the state you are from is a tie-breaker only, and not a major part of the decision making process.

On Naughton I haven't pushed for a recruit before and have been happy to let the cobblers cobble but the kid is seriously something special. I haven't seen him put a foot wrong in any of his WAFL games.He is the best young pressure mark I've seen. The Peel club boys think he is one the best they've seen at Peel and there has been some serious talent that has passed through Peel. I really believe he is just to good to pass on no matter where he plays.

On Naughton I haven't pushed for a recruit before and have been happy to let the cobblers cobble but the kid is seriously something special. I haven't seen him put a foot wrong in any of his WAFL games.He is the best young pressure mark I've seen. The Peel club boys think he is one the best they've seen at Peel and there has been some serious talent that has passed through Peel. I really believe he is just to good to pass on no matter where he plays.
Which is fair enough but I have to ask, how much of any other players have you seen? Especially the ones outside of WA?

I haven't seen him live obviously, but I've watched his Peel games. I rate him a top 15 prospect in this draft...as a defender. And that's my entire point. As a forward, there are many better options in my opinion.

But I get it, he plays for Peel.

Nothing to do with playing for Peel but he is the full package . I've seen a lot of football in my time and he is the best young pack mark and ball drop reader I,ve seen in my opinion.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let put it this way salim malik , if freo pick him I will see him as Mj replacement could potentially swap with Cox during matches depend on opposition. In my opinion it won't be the end of the world whether Freo pick Naughton or somebody else. I am confident brander , forgarhy Etc will be equally good with a great club like Freo .

Point taken but how many of the boys outside of Queensland have you seen ?
I've seen nobody live so there is no bias either way. I have watched lots of highlights, most of the U18s and every televised Peel game. It is obviously not the same as live, but unless you have seen all of them live it is not fair to compare them based on that.

I like Naughton a lot, but not enough to get him into the top 10 and certainly not enough to warrant picking a player at pick 5 who plays a position for which we have the most coverage. For the record, I rate him as a defender more than Brander but it is an absolute no contest as a forward in Brander's favour.

Our KPF stocks have been terrible for almost 2 decades. In my head, this is a foregone conclusion.

Let put it this way salim malik , if freo pick him I will see him as Mj replacement could potentially swap with Cox during matches depend on opposition. In my opinion it won't be the end of the world whether Freo pick Naughton or somebody else. I am confident brander , forgarhy Etc will be equally good with a great club like Freo .

Nah Naughton is a Mcpharlin replacement , the Harry Taylor type player we stupidly passed on . This board has been screaming out for the club to pick up a young gun KP player for years and now one has fallen into our laps we can't see the forest for those damn East Coast trees. Sometimes the home product is best.;)

I've seen nobody live so there is no bias either way. I have watched lots of highlights, most of the U18s and every televised Peel game. It is obviously not the same as live, but unless you have seen all of them live it is not fair to compare them based on that.

I like Naughton a lot, but not enough to get him into the top 10 and certainly not enough to warrant picking a player at pick 5 who plays a position for which we have the most coverage. For the record, I rate him as a defender more than Brander but it is an absolute no contest as a forward in Brander's favour.

Our KPF stocks have been terrible for almost 2 decades. In my head, this is a foregone conclusion.

Brander is still playing against kids , no contest with what Naughton is doing. Naughton will possibly play in a WAFL GF . That experience in a 17 year old can't be bought.

Nah Naughton is a Mcpharlin replacement , the Harry Taylor type player we stupidly passed on . This board has been screaming out for the club to pick up a young gun KP player for years and now one has fallen into our laps we can't see the forest for those damn East Coast trees. Sometimes the home product is best.;)
Plus no flight risk and cheaper to keep rather than expensive to poach

We have been screaming out for a forward. Luke and Johnno (and even Dawson) did more than enough down back. We couldn't kick goals. We don't need another defender, we need a forward.

If your argument is that Naughton is a generational player (level - Buddy, Carey, Gaz etc) or close to it (level - Fyfe, Danger, JJK) then 100% we should take him.

In every other scenario, we don't IMO.

He hasn't posted 50 times about how the club would be negligent if they didn't pick Queensland boy x and flamed anyone who disagreed with him in fairness.

So you haven't read his multiple posts on Brander. Any way he is entitled to his opinion and I salute him for that. By the way whats your opinion or are you just on here to snipe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back