Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Brander is still playing against kids , no contest with what Naughton is doing. Naughton will possibly play in a WAFL GF . That experience in a 17 year old can't be bought.
Yeah that's great. They both played u18s and were both good. Brander doesn't have the chance to play WAFL and it is not fair to just say Naughton is better because he has had more opportunity.

Also, Naughton is a DEFENDER.

Yeah that's great. They both played u18s and were both good. Brander doesn't have the chance to play WAFL and it is not fair to just say Naughton is better because he has had more opportunity.

Also, Naughton is a DEFENDER.
Brennan Cox - u18s 2016 All Australian CHB - now playing forward.
Aaron Naughton - u18s 2017 All Australian CHB - will play... ?

btw I rate Brander as well and won't complain at all if we take him.

Brennan Cox - u18s 2016 All Australian CHB - now playing forward.
Aaron Naughton - u18s 2017 All Australian CHB - will play... ?

btw I rate Brander as well and won't complain at all if we take him.

Oscar Allen all Aust full forward and can't get a touch in the WAFL. I think good form against mature bodies especially for the skinny kids like Naughton is a huge plus. Love the discussion anyway and it sure as hell is making a boring Fri bearable.:D

Oscar Allen all Aust full forward and can't get a touch in the WAFL. I think good form against mature bodies especially for the skinny kids like Naughton is a huge plus. Love the discussion anyway and it sure as hell is making a boring Fri bearable.:D
True. Although aren't you supposed to be at training giving us a Bennell update? On second thought, unnecessary - he always looks amazing.

Bit harsh on Oscar. West Perth have been a bit of a basket case lately. They could let East Perth sneak into finals if they don't turnaround their form.

Haha something tells me this argument could pretty much go for eternity. Ive said previously i agree with Joao, Naughton looks incredible but its the only area of the ground i think we have covered. I think Pearce is a future AA CHB and Hamling and Logue both terrific long term players. Add to that Hughes and Ryan and i dont see where Naughton fits, even if he is better than one of those players i dont think the net gain is enough to use pick 5 on and i am never using pick 5 on depth. If Pearce for some reason never rebounds from a broken leg then we still have Cox who is generally regarded as a better defender anyway (look at his Peel results).

Brander just looks so good to me up front and its an area we desperately need help with. Im also ok with a midfielder/forward like Fogarty or Stephenson since we rely too much on Neale/Fyfe for my liking.

Personally, the dream to me is the AFL magically allowing us to F/S O'Reilly which means we give Tabs and Ape one last chance and draft a star mid this year, i'd even be ok with Naughton if that completely not plausible scenario panned out

The club has actually done okay with locating Talls when they have gone that way, just not enough in
the past.
Injury has more to do with our problems than players, which has highlighted our lack of depth in this
area.
We also need a mixture of forwards to lift our goal scoring, so one white knight wont cut it.
If we are interested in Naughton we need to swap pick 5, etc, last years scenario, McGovern?
Which ever way we go we need the player that can work best with our midfield, and the way we
use the ball coming in.
Plus the small/medium players have to be included, without them we are too predictable.

Haha something tells me this argument could pretty much go for eternity. Ive said previously i agree with Joao, Naughton looks incredible but its the only area of the ground i think we have covered. I think Pearce is a future AA CHB and Hamling and Logue both terrific long term players. Add to that Hughes and Ryan and i dont see where Naughton fits, even if he is better than one of those players i dont think the net gain is enough to use pick 5 on and i am never using pick 5 on depth. If Pearce for some reason never rebounds from a broken leg then we still have Cox who is generally regarded as a better defender anyway (look at his Peel results).

Brander just looks so good to me up front and its an area we desperately need help with. Im also ok with a midfielder/forward like Fogarty or Stephenson since we rely too much on Neale/Fyfe for my liking.

Personally, the dream to me is the AFL magically allowing us to F/S O'Reilly which means we give Tabs and Ape one last chance and draft a star mid this year, i'd even be ok with Naughton if that completely not plausible scenario panned out

Yeh but Pearce was a forward/ mid in his junior days. Mundy a full back, Dawson a forward ,Fyfe a Forward ,Luke a forward, Balla's a mid .Brander is a defender by the way.:D Locking a youngster into a set position before he gets to the big league and shows all of his skills doesn't make a lot of sense.

True. Although aren't you supposed to be at training giving us a Bennell update? On second thought, unnecessary - he always looks amazing.

Bit harsh on Oscar. West Perth have been a bit of a basket case lately. They could let East Perth sneak into finals if they don't turnaround their form.

She who makes the rules is home today and her rule for the day is going out for lunch .:(

Pick 5 should always be best available IMO. I don't see Naughton as the 5th best player in this draft regardless of his home state or his WAFL status, but that's just my opinion. We need help in midfield and up forward. Midfield is still were you win or lose the game IMO so that or a forward would be my choice. Look at the impact the Bont had on the bullies. That sort of mid to help Fyfe and co would be fantastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 5 should always be best available IMO. I don't see Naughton as the 5th best player in this draft regardless of his home state or his WAFL status, but that's just my opinion. We need help in midfield and up forward. Midfield is still were you win or lose the game IMO so that or a forward would be my choice. Look at the impact the Bont had on the bullies. That sort of mid to help Fyfe and co would be fantastic.

Bennell should help both mid and forward.

Bennell should help both mid and forward.
Yeah definitely he will, I would play him 85-90% in the forward line next year though which would still allow for another quality mid. I reckon he could kick us 45-50 as a permanent lead up.

End of the day I don't really care who we pick up, it's a good debate to have though. I back our drafting team to get it right now. That hasn't always been the case.

The Naughton/ Brander discussion is good yes?
It is really good. It will be important not to revisit it if Brander is taken by an interstate club and decides to go home, whether to be with his NSW academy mates or back to VIC, after his two years are done.

My gut also says don't draft flight risks and the state you are from is a tie-breaker only, and not a major part of the decision making process.

I think recent seasons have shown that a bit more than just a passing thought needs to be given to this nowadays. It used to be a big news story when a player left his team because of wanting to play at home etc. Now it happens 4-5 times every season. Flight risks are a lot higher than they used to be.

It is really good. It will be important not to revisit it if Brander is taken by an interstate club and decides to go home, whether to be with his NSW academy mates or back to VIC, after his two years are done.

The discussion has been in the most case friendly respectful opinions and the trolls have stayed out of it. All opinions have been from the true purple amongst us It enjoyable. Meima you're included as well.:p:D

Yeah he's playing forward.

Hasn't exactly set the world on fire though has he?
meh - he's a 19yo KPP. Has any other first year KPF done anything more than him? No, he's miles ahead.

Anyway the point was that players are often played in positions different to what is expected by BF pre draft. I liked Cox as a defender but I'm coming around to seeing him as a forward as well now. Naughton looks a defender but who knows if that's where he will definitely play at AFL level?

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back