Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Fyfe forward for example makes a massive difference because he has a presence in the air, demands the ball, can chase, etc. He would work well with Cox/McCarthy and even Tabs if we want to be extra tall.

Bless you, Kenny! How many years have I been saying the SAME, EXACT, THING about playing Fyfe forward, for the SAME, EXACT reasons you're saying. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone in the wilderness and entirely nuts in having that opinion! :thumbsu:

https://gph.is/2aItcco

I’d go the more pure mid at #2 tbh. We know that Walters is a gun forward and Bennell has shown when fit at Gold Coast that he’s also a very good forward. Being able to keep these two forward is a luxury most teams don’t have and would improve our forward line significantly imo. At #5 I’d just pick the remaining player out of Rayner, LDU, Dow, Cerra and Brayshaw. The KPPs aren’t worth it this year at #5 imo. We should grab the best available KPP at 42 imo. I still think they’ll be a few decent KPPs available there. A mature aged ruck should follow with one of the picks in the 60s. We need depth just about everywhere imo so we should just be adding players we rate highly but at least one KPP and one ruck (preferably mature aged) is a must.

Bless you, Kenny! How many years have I been saying the SAME, EXACT, THING about playing Fyfe forward, for the SAME, EXACT reasons you're saying. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone in the wilderness and entirely nuts in having that opinion! :thumbsu:

Hence two inside mids if thats the thinking Any two of Dow LDU Rayner.

Just to add I think Rayner will be the best inside mid in two/three years from this draft. The bits he has had there are very very good.

We did control the game and our system into the forwards, and the forwards themselves let us down (and accuracy in front of goals).

I'm not claiming we have a great forward line (far from it), I just don't think it's all about height. With the new stadium it should really create more space in the forward line as well compared to Subi. I think we just need good players forward of centre that can win 1 on 1s but also are mobile on the ground. This board has had an obsession with playing 3 tall forwards for some time. What I am saying is I think we just need 5 or 6 good forwards, height is already there. Obviously if we can land a JJK or Dixon, then great, but they are very hard to find. Far less risk in picking Stephenson for example than reaching for a Brander type that may or may not make it as a forward.

How much better did GWS look when they didn't play both Cameron and Patton?
Total agree.

I think that a number of players who take an contested mark or the ability to bring the high ball to ground can overcome any lack of power forwards.

Football is changing. We just need dominant well rounded players with a presence in the forward line. Playing Fyfe forward for example makes a massive difference because he has a presence in the air, demands the ball, can chase, etc. He would work well with Cox/McCarthy and even Tabs if we want to be extra tall. We don't really need to take a risk on another 200cm tall; history shows they are very risky selecting in the top 10.

Being able to pressure in the forward line is just as important (if not more so) than playing 2 or 3 talls who can take massive clunks. GWS looked better when they played a more mobile forward line. The last two premiers have had a lack of quality talls in the forward line. I think we need to find forwards that are well rounded; they are good offensively with good smarts around goal and can win 1 on 1 contests but also can run and chase. I think we have enough height down there (I am very bullish on Cox, expect improvement from Cam and want Fyfe to play forward more because of his presence). Tabs and Apeness are options as well.

For this reason, I'm very keen to draft 2 mids or mid/fwds. I think most of the top 5 midfielders (including Rayner/Stephenson) look like they will be handy forward of center.
Totally agree. If we take 2 gun midfielders that have ability forward of centre to go along with their midfield craft then it means a player like Mundy can step out of the midfield and add a real presence coming off the back line OR up forward.
SKILLS, HUNGER and APPLICATION is what we need to draft. The rest will take care of itself.*

* Please no homesick babies either.

Really? We've all heard the Rayner potential flight risks too. Really don't like what is going on here, looks like it's only going to get worse too. Kids are getting softer by the minute, we've now got clubs scared to take draftees in fear they'll leave them in a few years, this is wrong on so many levels, AFL needs to hurry up and extent the contracts. Extending the contracts either forces them to stay, or allows you to trade them whilst contracted, meaning you'll get fair value.

3 year initial contract ?.

Only 2 at the moment, I think.

Take a key position fwd in next years draft. We’ll have a pick within the top 5 and there looks to be some real talent. Build the engine room now. LDU at 2 and then either Dow/Cerra/Stephenson/Fogarty/Brayshaw
FWIW Brayshaw sounds like a ripper guy and would have no issues with living/staying in WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I have great man-love for Fyfe, he kicked 17. 13 this year. That's less than a goal a game. He's a Brownlow winning midfielder who can dominate games all over the ground

I've heard of robbing Peter to pay Paul, but plonking Nat in the forward 50s as a 3rd tall? Well, that's robbing Peter, Paul, John, George and Ringo to pay Jordan Belfort.

As much as I have great man-love for Fyfe, he kicked 17. 13 this year. That's less than a goal a game. He's a Brownlow winning midfielder who can dominate games all over the ground

I've heard of robbing Peter to pay Paul, but plonking Nat in the forward 50s as a 3rd tall? Well, that's robbing Peter, Paul, John, George and Ringo to pay Jordan Belfort.
Dustin score 37:29 in his brownlow year , so he is robbing Peter and Paul .

Of interest maybe....1995 to 2013 incl of drafted key forwards (what pick they were). There are obviously more and maybe missed a few. Tried to get those with a number games and threw in a few others too. Knighmare did suggest there has been a trend away from an early pick for a forward.

GehrigF ………………. P16/1995

Lucas S ………………….. P4/1994

Holland B …………….. P19/1994

Fewster B ………………… P3/1995

Hall B ………………. P19/1995

Mooney C ………………. P56/1996

Ottens B …………………….P2/1996

Croad T ………………….P3/1996

Tarrant C ……………………….P8/1996

Goodes A ………………….P43/1997

Thompson N ……………………P82/1997

Longmuir J ………………….P2/1998

Pavlich M …………………….P4/1999

Brown J …………………..P30/1999 F/S

Riewoldt N ………………P1/2000

Koshizke J ……………P2/2000

Polak G …………..P4/2001

Cloke C …………. P43/2002

Bradley K …………….. P6/2003

Franklin L ……………….P 5/2004

Roughead J…………………PP2/2004

Kennedy WCE …………………. P4/2005

Gumbleton S ……………… P2/2006

Riewoldt J……………p13/2006

Hawkins T…….P41/2006

Grant J ………………….P5 /2007

Taylor H ……………………P17/2007

Thompson S ……………….P37/2007

Hooker C …………….P57/2007

Watts J ……………….P1/2008

Carlisle J………………. P24/2009

Gunston J ……………….P29/2009

Reid S ………………….P39/2009

Day S ………………..P3/2010

Lynch T ………………….P11/2010

Darling J………………. P26/2010

Paton J ………………P1/2011

Stringer J ……………………..P5/2012

Daniher J ………………. P10/2012 (Ruck Forward)

Wood M………………… P41/2012

Boyd T………………..P1/2013

Bontempelli M……………P4/2013 (fwdMid)

McCarthy C …………….P14/2013

Lobb R …………………….P29/2013
edit: Ben Brown........P43/2017

* My reading of it re KPF's is - They don't come along often and can come from anywhere when they do come.

Bit of trivia;
Brent Harvey - the day North Melbourne got three 1st round players for the price of one - Pick 46 1995 432 games

Last edited:

And the even simpler fact that Fyfe himself wants to play as a midfielder. If our best player wants to play as a mid, let him. Rest forward and make an impact there as well, sure. Regardless of where Fyfe plays though, we need better forwards (preferably that contest in the air) and more inside midfield depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in the lead up to the 2016 season, Fyfe spent time training fwd with the intention of spending more time in attack. Small sample size but in the 3 games that he was uninjured he kicked 8 goals 2 behinds whilst still averaging 28 touches 17 contested 7.33 clearances and 3.33 contested marks. With more strength in the midfield he'll be able to rest forward more a la 2017 Martin

How the afl website sees it

Fremantle's pair of early picks means the club could look to bolster its midfield with pick two – Luke Davies-Uniacke, Andrew Brayshaw and Paddy Dow will all be considered – and then go for the local Naughton at pick five.

And the even simpler fact that Fyfe himself wants to play as a midfielder. If our best player wants to play as a mid, let him. Rest forward and make an impact there as well, sure. Regardless of where Fyfe plays though, we need better forwards (preferably that contest in the air) and more inside midfield depth.
Spot on.

in the lead up to the 2016 season, Fyfe spent time training fwd with the intention of spending more time in attack. Small sample size but in the 3 games that he was uninjured he kicked 8 goals 2 behinds whilst still averaging 28 touches 17 contested 7.33 clearances and 3.33 contested marks. With more strength in the midfield he'll be able to rest forward more a la 2017 Martin
Not sure if using 2016 is such a good idea. We had 4 wins.... for the year. I'd say that model doesn't work.

GC and Brisbane have loss plenty of players because of this reason.

For me when a younger tacker than I am now, as a (somewhat of a) musician, the pull was always there for a resettlement to either Melbourne or Sydney and out of Perth.

Brisbane - who wants to go there. Well actually, some Melbourne folks feel the magnetic pull of it, but it's more a retiree's to Gold Coast sorta thing when they work out that they prefer to be warm than cold, not as attractive to Sandgropers or errr... whatever you call South Australians or Sydneysiders who already have warm.

We don't see much of a go home factor from Melbourne, we couldn't lure Buddy or Harry Taylor back this way - or more recently that elusive Hogan.

As for our recruits from the East, some thrive if they like a surfing, bbq sorta outdoor lifestyle (beats Melbourne hands down) - Not so bad if you were recruited to and lived near Geelong, but if you Live in Melbourne proper it sucks as you have a several hour drive. But if they are cafe/restaurant types they're going to prefer Melbourne/Sydney to Perth/Adelaide.

Personally, I'm not sure that I buy the sooky lala gen x are going to go home to mummy thing. I think it comes down to the person, if they looooove surfing and being outdoors they will probably thrive in Perth, but if their idea of chilling out is indoors they will feel like they've been sent to the gulags.

Yep

Gawd, I used to hate all the Fyfe to forward talk. Maybe when he hasn't the legs for the midifeld, but as long as he's a gun midfielder - that's where he belongs.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/frema...h-two-topten-draft-picks-20171108-gzhqna.html

Poor Hamling, the forgotten man -

"Naughton is roundly tipped by talent identification analysts to become a 200-game AFL player and is considered a potential long-term replacement for veteran back-liner Michael Johnson if he heads to Fremantle.

Johnson, 33, is most likely heading into his final senior season in 2018 after surprisingly signing a one-year contract to extend his playing days beyond his 231 senior games.

The gifted Naughton could slot into defence alongside another rising young gun with Alex Pearce expected back into senior ranks regularly next season after missing almost the entire last two years with a broken leg.

A Naughton and Pearce defensive combination could develop into a reliable dynamic duo of over a decade with Johnson and classy Luke McPharlin who retired at the end of 2015 after 244 distinguished Dockers outings.
"

Yes poor old Hamling. I'm pretty sure he'd care less about Haggers.

On a side note I do agree with him being a very very good chb that could release other players up the ground als Logue or Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back