Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to trade Lever and end up with a defender. We're fine for defenders.

MAYBE bring in Scharenberg, because he's genuine talent and offers some flexibility.

Don't need any other big spuds.

I have several issues with trading in either of Cutler and Scharenberg. Here they are:

2) We don't need more depth

Our list structure is already such that we have prioritized depth over star players. Guys like Hampton, Menzel, Seedsman, Cheney have only played bit parts this season (or not at all) and all would be on fairly respectable coin. I don't see why we should spend even more cap space on these mid-tier players unless they are guaranteed to play every AFL game in the season bar injury.

Now you might say that with Lever gone, Cutler or Scharenberg would be guaranteed best 22. But this brings me back to the first point. No matter what sort of player we are looking at replacing Lever with, our own squad as a replacement ready to go. Doedee and Seedsman in particular.

---

Trading in players like Cutler and Scharenberg is such a waste. There are so many better uses of resources.

Completely agree. We need to free up money atm to throw at Lever & Gov. Unless a recruit is walking into our top 10 players don't bother and save the money for the top end. Surely this is the most important consideration atm so cutting some depth players (ie Cheney as much a i like what he did when he was playing for us) and replacing them with cheaper draftees frees up the money we need.

If Lever goes, and it is the Demons, how would everyone feel about Tom McDonald?

Probably some picks swapped around too. I really like it. Tom McDonald is a very similar player when used properly down back.

He is contracted for 2018 but is a name I've heard thrown around in conjunction with Lever. His bro being at the Dees makes me feel it would be unlikely but if we are offering enough $$$ he could be a part of it.

Lever or not, Melb arent letting him go.

Thought it was just me!

Mitch Robinson - what the dooslefudge? Would they have met once ever? It was Eddie Betts who was friends with Robinson wasn't it?

Maybe Charlie idolises Eddie so much that he has seen that photo of Eddie and Robinson smoking darts and now Charlie wants to head up to Brisbane and chew darts with Robinson too.

Hi all. Just on Cutler, he signed a 2 year extension earlier this year and I would think he is very unlikely to leave (never say never though I guess).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-11/lions-duo-locked-in-jarrod-berry-and-tom-cutler-ink-new-deals

Plus while Cutler is a talented player he's had a few form issues the last couple of months and doesn't play at all like Lever, and is nowhere near as good.

Would expect that if a CC deal gets done it would be for draft picks rather than players, but who knows.

what did we trade for Seedsman and Hampton?

Given noble was in charge of those trades and Charlie is ahead of both those guys plus younger, I hope if we have to be trading we start our negotiations with reminding Noble what he was prepared to pay for those guys and point out that on exposed form charlie is a better prospect than either of those were at the time of their trades. That should set a clearly defined basement to be working above.

Hi all. Just on Cutler, he signed a 2 year extension earlier this year and I would think he is very unlikely to leave (never say never though I guess).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-11/lions-duo-locked-in-jarrod-berry-and-tom-cutler-ink-new-deals

Plus while Cutler is a talented player he's had a few form issues the last couple of months and doesn't play at all like Lever, and is nowhere near as good.

Would expect that if a CC deal gets done it would be for draft picks rather than players, but who knows.
Feel like 18 for CC is fair at this stage. Don't reckon Cutler would leave, as much as he'd be a good get.

Sounding like it will happen though, unfortunately

I don't think too many people would dispute that. Realistically, hard to see it happening
Hard to see anything that is actually going to happen ... it's all bulldust conjecture at this stage.

277 pages of it :)

Just saying that if Hogan was in the mix when talking about Lever - you'd have to have a key position forward at 22 years old of Hogan's ilk rated ABOVE a 21 year old intercept defender like Lever. Both are immense talents, but finding a young key forward of that class is about as tough as it gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see anything that is actually going to happen ... it's all bulldust conjecture at this stage.

277 pages of it :)

Just saying that if Hogan was in the mix when talking about Lever - you'd have to have a key position forward at 22 years old of Hogan's ilk rated ABOVE a 21 year old intercept defender like Lever. Both are immense talents, but finding a young key forward of that class is about as tough as it gets.
I just find it hard to see it happening because he is from WA. Both WA teams have shown interest in him. While his father was fighting cancer Melbourne managed to keep him focused and keep him at the club. He has been undergone his own treatment for cancer this year.

I find it much easier to believe that he will stay in Melbourne, or if he and the club agree to a move, that it will be to a WA based club.

He is an immense talent. Would love to see him in our forward line.

I don't want to trade Lever and end up with a defender. We're fine for defenders.

MAYBE bring in Scharenberg, because he's genuine talent and offers some flexibility.

Don't need any other big spuds.

I would argue that defender depth statement big time

I would suggest most of our depth is serviceable at most and even best 22 players have a question over their head.

Hartigan has a big question mark. To say we couldn't improve on him is ignorant

Otten has been exposed down back many times this year

Cheney hasn't played AFL in almost 12 months

Keath has only been tested once and had a bag of 5 kicked on him. Plus he stains his jocks whenever he gets possession of the ball. He is not best 22 and anyone thinking he is a replacement for Lever has to have their head read.

Tom McDonald is exactly the profile player we need if we were to lose Lever. Its almost as like for like as you can get. Plus he can swing up forward. He is a major upgrade on Otten and as close to Lever as you can get.

Scharenberg can't even consistently get a game in a struggling Pies defense let alone ours. He is also one bad knee twist away from his career ending.

what did we trade for Seedsman and Hampton?

Given noble was in charge of those trades and Charlie is ahead of both those guys plus younger, I hope if we have to be trading we start our negotiations with reminding Noble what he was prepared to pay for those guys and point out that on exposed form charlie is a better prospect than either of those were at the time of their trades. That should set a clearly defined basement to be working above.
Paid a 2nd round draft pick for both.. and overpaid for both.

Will not happen. No way that Bris does that. Basically two pick 17's for pick 1.

What about 2018 pick swap? ( Crows' CC, 2017 1st & 2018 1st for Brisbane's 2018 1st )

Also, what is the risk Brisbane climbs off the bottom significantly next year? But this would be a rare opportunity for the Crows to even have a go at an el primo draft pick.

I would argue that defender depth statement big time

I would suggest most of our depth is serviceable at most and even best 22 players have a question over their head.

Hartigan has a big question mark. To say we couldn't improve on him is ignorant

Otten has been exposed down back many times this year

Cheney hasn't played AFL in almost 12 months

Keath has only been tested once and had a bag of 5 kicked on him. Plus he stains his jocks whenever he gets possession of the ball. He is not best 22 and anyone thinking he is a replacement for Lever has to have their head read.

Tom McDonald is exactly the profile player we need if we were to lose Lever. Its almost as like for like as you can get. Plus he can swing up forward. He is a major upgrade on Otten and as close to Lever as you can get.

Scharenberg can't even consistently get a game in a struggling Pies defense let alone ours. He is also one bad knee twist away from his career ending.

Tom McDonald is no better than what we have and has been destroyed at times in defense. Giving away a talent such as Lever and all we have to show for it is a 5% improvement on Hartigan would be astoundingly negligent. If he was even remotely near as good as Lever, Melbourne wouldn't be so desperate to bring Lever in. They already have both McDonalds and Frost running around, and they look terrible.

We have more than enough defenders. Pointless wasting assets to get more.

Paid a 2nd round draft pick for both.. and overpaid for both.

Pick in the late 30s for both. About right for Hampton, probably too high for Seedsman, but only by a few picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back