Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said. The odd game and rarely in the big games. Sloane is getting his pants pulled down almost every week.
Sloane was never tagged until taggers came back into fashion this year.

Selwood has been tagged on and off through his career. It often works to take him out of the game. Doesn't always help you win.

Sloane was never tagged until taggers came back into fashion this year.

Selwood has been tagged on and off through his career. It often works to take him out of the game. Doesn't always help you win.

Tagging has been in and out of the game for the last two decades. Players will often get tagged if it proves to be effective. The best players can work through it eventually hence why you do see tagging in continuous periods. Sloane is not one of these players. It has been proven when Sloane is tagged we are basically a midfielder down.

You are incorrect regarding Selwood btw. His record shows such.

Tagging has been in and out of the game for the last two decades. Players will often get tagged if it proves to be effective. The best players can work through it eventually hence why you do see tagging in continuous periods. Sloane is not one of these players. It has been proven when Sloane is tagged we are basically a midfielder down.

You are incorrect regarding Selwood btw. His record shows such.

No, this is wrong on a couple of fronts.

Selwood has been terrible when clubs have chosen to tag him. Levi Greenwood destroyed him earlier this year. But clubs had (until recently) completely moved away from tagging as a tactic, because you lose a player from team defensive structures, which makes you much weaker overall.

Tagging had almost completely disappeared from the game over the last five years or so, as defensive structures got more detailed. It hasn't "faded in and out". It had faded completely out, only to return this year to target sides with a too large reliance on one mid.

No, this is wrong on a couple of fronts.

Selwood has been terrible when clubs have chosen to tag him. Levi Greenwood destroyed him earlier this year. But clubs had (until recently) completely moved away from tagging as a tactic, because you lose a player from team defensive structures, which makes you much weaker overall.

Tagging had almost completely disappeared from the game over the last five years or so, as defensive structures got more detailed. It hasn't "faded in and out". It had faded completely out, only to return this year to target sides with a too large reliance on one mid.

Thats incorrect.

Its used on and off. Its not widely used by most teams because in order to tag you have to basically sacrifice one of your own players to shut down another. Even now most teams do not tag. The successful clubs do not use it. They back their own players in to win it for them and beat their opponent.

Going in with a negative mindset, such as tagging, does not win you flags imo.

Hawks, Cats, Swans have never used it.

Kelly joins the retirement party. Man, this retirement side would make a formidable opponent. I'm not sure I would want to play them even today

B: Boyd - Gibson - Hodge
HB: Kelly - Dempster - Murphy
C: Yarran - Watson - Armfield
HF: Thompson - Riewoldt - Downie
F: Stevie J - White - Lumumba
R: Maric - Mitchell - Priddis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wasn't Lingy 90% tagger/scragger?

admittedly not a career I've followed with great interest.

Did at times but his best attribute is he went both ways. Was able to attack and defend. A lot of the time he just beat his man.

There is a difference between tagging and being just a good defensive player.

A tagger is not out there with their number one intention to win the ball, but simply to stop their own man from doing so.

That cats midfield also didn't need Lingy to tag most of the time. They were just exceptional.

Did at times but his best attribute is he went both ways. Was able to attack and defend. A lot of the time he just beat his man.

There is a difference between tagging and being just a good defensive player.

A tagger is not out there with their number one intention to win the ball, but simply to stop their own man from doing so.

That cats midfield also didn't need Lingy to tag most of the time. They were just exceptional.
I would have thought that it would be pretty mandatory for a "good" tagger to hurt you going the other way.

obviously Lingy's services weren't required on grand final day 2007

Kelly joins the retirement party. Man, this retirement side would make a formidable opponent. I'm not sure I would want to play them even today

B: Boyd - Gibson - Hodge
HB: Kelly - Dempster - Murphy
C: Yarran - Watson - Armfield
HF: Thompson - Riewoldt - Downie
F: Stevie J - White - Lumumba
R: Maric - Mitchell - Priddis

I would have thought that it would be pretty mandatory for a "good" tagger to hurt you going the other way.

obviously Lingy's services weren't required on grand final day 2007

Most these days don't.

Most these days don't.
how can you say most? There are maybe only two players in the league that I can think of that do it regularly. Greenwood and Selwood both get onto a few good possies going the other way most of the time.

the random spud that bobs up to hang onto Sloane when we play them doesn't get the job week in week out against other opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back