Essendon
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Adelaide
Carlton
Collingwood
Brisbane
Fremantle
Different but then the final order wont be what looks most likely now.

Have gone through all the games and based on very, very early and speculative win/loss predictions:

1. GWS
2. Geelong
3. Sydney
4. Bulldogs
5. Adelaide
6. Hawthorn
7. Melbourne
8. West Coast
------------------
9. Fremantle
10. Port Adelaide
11. Essendon
12. St.Kilda
13. North Melbourne
14. Richmond
15. Collingwood
16. Gold Coast
17. Carlton
18. Brisbane

- GWS, Sydney, Geelong and Bulldogs will all be strong once again. Adelaide another decent fixture and will be in contention. Hawthorn will fall a little bit, but should still play finals
- Melbourne will be the big improvers and should be looking at a top 8 spot
- West Coast with no Naitanui will fall a few spots
- Essendon have a good draw thanks to finishing last but it remains to be seen how the returning players will fare
- St.Kilda have a tough draw which may halt their predicted rise up the ladder, but could sneak a few unexpected wins and finish higher
- North will be lucky to win 2 games out of their first 8, and considering they had a terrible finish to 2016 it could be a rough year
- Can't see Richmond improving much on this year even with a kind fixture
- Collingwood to be the big disappointments for mine, their draw isn't overly generous
- Gold Coast to once again struggle after losing 2 of their better players, plus having a disenchanted/injury-prone Gaz
- Carlton and Brisbane still rebuilding, will be lucky to win 6 games

Who knows though. 2016 was a very even season and with Fremantle and Essendon predicted to improve and add further congestion to the mid-table, it's a hard ladder to pick.
Geelong is interesting. They have a much harder draw this year, with a weaker midfield and half back(Enright, Caddy, Bartel). I'm not sure they're going to be top 4.

Geelong is interesting. They have a much harder draw this year, with a weaker midfield and half back(Enright, Caddy, Bartel). I'm not sure they're going to be top 4.
Champion Data have rated their draw as 6th hardest, ranking their fixtures as easier than Hawthorn's, GWS's, and the Bulldogs' draws. Granted they do have a lot of 6-day breaks and less matches at Simmonds next year than this year. Bartel is replaceable by Tuohy, Caddy is replaceable by full seasons from Scott Selwood and Sam Menegola, but Enright is irreplaceable and will be a big loss to the team for next season. Think they'll be thereabouts again. I believe I had them finishing on equal wins with Sydney so could have put them 3rd.

I think Adelaide are their only threats to top 4 - they've been gifted another kind draw. Hawthorn have the toughest draw in the league and lost 2 genuine match-winners in the off-season (will T.Mitchell and O'Meara be ready to immediately step up in their place? I don't believe so). West Coast without Naitanui are hard to back for top 4; they looked flat at times without him this year. I doubt Melbourne have the quality to push top 4 just yet.

Champion Data have rated their draw as 6th hardest, ranking their fixtures as easier than Hawthorn's, GWS's, and the Bulldogs' draws. Granted they do have a lot of 6-day breaks and less matches at Simmonds next year than this year. Bartel is replaceable by Tuohy, Caddy is replaceable by full seasons from Scott Selwood and Sam Menegola, but Enright is irreplaceable and will be a big loss to the team for next season. Think they'll be thereabouts again. I believe I had them finishing on equal wins with Sydney so could have put them 3rd.

I think Adelaide are their only threats to top 4 - they've been gifted another kind draw. Hawthorn have the toughest draw in the league and lost 2 genuine match-winners in the off-season (will T.Mitchell and O'Meara be ready to immediately step up in their place? I don't believe so). West Coast without Naitanui are hard to back for top 4; they looked flat at times without him this year. I doubt Melbourne have the quality to push top 4 just yet.
Adelaide have been gifted another kind draw?

This time last year most were saying it was a killer hard draw that would lead us to missing the finals...

1 GWS
2 Bulldogs
3 Sydney
4 Adelaide
5 Geelong
6 West Coast
7 Hawthorn
8 Stkilda

9 Melbourne
10 Fremantle

11 Collingwood
12 Richmond (This prediction is probably being very generous, could easily finish 13-17)
13 Essendon (Easy draw could see Essendon finish 8-11, I just think finding form is going to cost them too many games)
14 North Melbourne (I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen with NM, could surprise and stay competitive)
15 Port Adelaide
16 Gold Coast
17 Carlton (Probably a bit rough to put them at 17, they just seemed so sloppy towards the back end of 2016)
18 Brisbane

Bolded teams could be in any order IMO, obviously I'm going to put St.Kilda in the 8, but it could very easily be Melbourne or Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. GWS Giants (premier)
2. Sydney Swans
3. West Coast Eagles (runner up)
4. Western Bulldogs
5. Hawthorn
6. Adelaide Crows
7. Melbourne
8. Port Adelaide
9. Geelong Cats
10. North Melbourne
11. St Kilda
12. Essendon
13. Carlton
14.Gold Coast Suns
15. Fremantle
16. Collingwood
17. Richmond
18. Brisbane Lions

Anyone want to predict their 2037 ladder?

Australian Football Conference

1. Carlton Blues
2. Geelong Cats
3. Sydney Swans
4. Hawthorn Hawks
5. Tasmanian Devils
6. Adelaide Crows
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Melbourne Demons
9. Richmond Tigers
10. Warrnambool Volcanoes
11. Collingwood Magpies
12. Cairns Cassowaries
13. West Coast Eagles
14. Alice Springs Waterfalls
15. Darwin Darwinians
16. Essendon Bombers

National Football Conference

1. Uluru Goannas
2. GWS Giants
3. North Melbourne Saints
4. Albany Surfers
5. Townsville Lagooners
6. Fremantle Dockers
7. Capital City Daggers
8. Devonport Foxes
9. North Adelaide Icons
10. Brisbane Lions
11. Bathurst Numbats
12. Port Adelaide Power
13. Gold Coast Suns
14. Perth City Bull Sharks
15. Auckland Might
16. Broome Crocodiles

1. Bulldogs: Quality all over the field with plenty of young players improving and key players returning should see the side improve.
2. GWS: A very strong best 22 with no weak links that will see them smash teams without quality midfields, the depth is poor so they could be exposed if they have a bad run with injury.
3. Sydney: Their best players are still in their prime and some quality youth will see them near the top again.
4. Adelaide: The crows forward line will be to good for most teams but their midfield will be exposed again by the best sides.
5. West Coast: They won't win it unless Naitanui comes back, but even without him they have enough talent to beat most teams.
6. Melbourne: They have a lot of upside with plenty of young players coming through together and a couple of handy inclusions should see them improve significantly. They won't contend until they add some non inside mids to the side.
7. Geelong: Won't contend but are still better than the majority of the teams in the comp
8: Gold Coast: Very strong spine they just need some sort of midfield especially Ablett on the field.
9. Hawthorn: The slide begun this year and will continue next year as the core of their premiership sides decline or leaves.
10: Collingwood: Still too many holes in the side with almost non existent key defensive stocks.
11: Essendon: More talent more wins
12: Port: Lack skill, going nowhere fast
13: St kilda: Dangerous forward line but have a C grade midfield.
14: Freo: Lack talent as shown by their poor performances early in the season with strong sides in and have brought in largely unproven players.
15: Carlton: Are still a few years off transitioning the list cloggers to the young talent brought in.
16: Richmond: Have no area of strength, relying on only a handful of players.
17: Brisbane: A coach who understands defence should see instant improvement but still lack quality all over the field.
18: North: Losing the only midfielders at the club that could kick, coupled a dearth of young talent will see North drop off slightly from what they produced in the last 14 games of this year.

Last edited:
1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Cats
4. Adelaide
5. Bulldogs
6. Eagles
7. Melbourne
8. Hawthorn

9. Saints
10. Essendon
11. Gold Coast
12. Port
13. North
14. Pies
15. Freo
16. Carlton
17. Tigers
18. Brisbane

Pretty open from 6th to 12th. Not sure what to make of Essendon, North, Pies and Freo. Couple of them could surprise and pick up a few extra wins to push themselves into that lower finals spot bracket.

Hardwick and Bucks to get the sack, maybe Hinkley as well.

Giants vs Crows GF.

Top 4 in no particular order: GWS, Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide
5. St Kilda
6. Melbourne
7. Hawthorn
8. West Coast

9. Gold Coast
10. Footscray
11. Essendon
12. Carlton
13. Collingwood
14. Port Adelaide
15. Fremantle
16. North Melbourne
17. Brisbane
18. Richmond

Giants to make GF, but lose it. My gut tells me that the Bulldogs will miss the finals, as one club usually misses the finals after being in the top four.
Confident that at least St Kilda or Melbourne (or both) will make the finals. Richmond to flop hard.

How good will Freo be next season after getting 4 recruits in the trade. Who thinks Freo will be in the 8 with the return of Bennell and Nat Fyfe?

Just don't get the love for saints and demons myself

And the Eagles to finish top 4 Coz why? Mitchell?

Just don't get the love for saints and demons myself

And the Eagles to finish top 4 Coz why? Mitchell?

Saints jumped from 14th to 9th (missing finals on percentage) from 2015-2016. Biggest flaw was lack of any tall defenders (old third tall types in Dempster and Fisher forced to play on the monsters)- a problem we won't have next year with Jake Carlisle and Nathan Brown into the team.

Added more midfielders in Steele and Stevens. Breakout years from Acres (started playing really well in the last 6 weeks of '16) and Billings impending. Dunstan to get his tank up hopefully and up his production for a breakout season (same injury as Membrey in between the '15 and '16 seasons where he worked on his running for most of the pre season because it's all he could do, Dunstan's only issue is his tank ATM). D-Mac showed heaps of improvement late year as well, a lot of our young guys seem to be getting around that stage where they're ready to break out.

Membrey to play every game (17 games for 44 goals this year, easily can kick 50+ with a full year) and McCartin getting a good run on, here's hoping.

Lots of improvement to come- same as the Dees who have added some really good experienced heads in Lewis and Hibberd which are valuable to a young team.

Think both Dees and Saints will take big steps forward next year, would love to see both make the 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back