NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

in a few years if trades for top 2 picks to take a QB happen it will become like 10 picks including 3 first round picks. Its just obscene what teams will pay for QB's and most of them only had the 1 good year in college.
That's why what the Browns did this year was super smart. Theyll probably finally luck into a good franchise qb now.

Yet the Chargers ended up with LT and Drew Brees. If anyone won that trade on outcome it was San Diego.

and Vick only lasted a few years till he started fighting dogs. Falcons didnt win. they had a coach give up on the team and not even show up to work without telling anyone, just left notes in the players lockers.

That's why what the Browns did this year was super smart. Theyll probably finally luck into a good franchise qb now.

I'm convinced the Browns saw Kizer and thought they were drafting Bernie Kosar.

Interesting, I am already seeing 2018 mocks having the Browns picking QB Sam Darnold first overall.

Some teams took him off the draft boards as a 2nd round pick because of this.
I don't understand the "off my draft board until round X" mentality. Either the player is off your board or on it IMO.

What I don't understand is that the Bengals traded down with Vikings when Cook was available and then decided to take Mixon. You'd think if they. We're prepared to take Mixon then they'd be prepared to take Cook.

The Vikings did their research on Cook and decided he was on their board but never expected him to fall as far as he did. Whether or not the Vikings would have taken Cook in the first round at 14 is something we'll never know and can only speculate about.

Interesting, I am already seeing 2018 mocks having the Browns picking QB Sam Darnold first overall.
It's an interesting thought that the Browns have enough ammunition in next year's draft to do just about anything. If the Patriots put the non-exclusive tag on Garrapolo they can afford the two first round picks to sign him and they have enough picks to trade up to #1 overall if they want to take Darnold. The team at #1 would have to be willing to trade of course.....

Someone's gotta carry on USC's proud tradition of Quarterback busts in the NFL.

I don't understand the "off my draft board until round X" mentality. Either the player is off your board or on it IMO.
It has to do with the perceived risk/benefit profile - i.e. at what point are you happy to accept the increased character risk of busting when compared to other prospects. If, for example, a team guesses that a prospect has a 60% chance of busting because of their character, they'd move said prospect down to wherever they list the other prospects with a 60% risk

What I don't understand is that the Bengals traded down with Vikings when Cook was available and then decided to take Mixon. You'd think if they. We're prepared to take Mixon then they'd be prepared to take Cook.
Not necessarily. The number of "incidents" listed for Cook could indicate a pattern of poor decisions, which many teams weigh heavier than 1 big poor decision. The fact that Cook also reportedly interviewed poorly (because he was stupid enough or so poorly advised that he apparently didn't prepare to the level of others) would have made it worse.

The Vikings did their research on Cook and decided he was on their board but never expected him to fall as far as he did. Whether or not the Vikings would have taken Cook in the first round at 14 is something we'll never know and can only speculate about.
Well there were reportedly only 4 or 5 teams that had Cook as a 1st round prospect with everything considered

Its about what round you are willing to take the risk on. Why did Conley fall so far. Or Mixon. Off field issues push players down a round or even take them off the boards for teams.

It happens every year. Most of the time teams will say its a poor pro day/combine. Its always scouts and team reporters that reveal the "toxic" friends stuff.

Unless the team who drafred/signed them dont do a good enough job keeping the player away from the friends you dont hear much more about it. But its still a risk and sometimes teams will need to hire people to keep them out of trouble.

I think the show Ballers touched on it last year.

Its not all about talent now with players in the social landscape. Hell there were people linked to teams saying that they would trade players like OBJ or Antonio Brown for off field shit

Free agent TE Gary Barnidge is visiting the Bills on Wednesday.

Buffalo has seemed to be in the market for a tight end all offseason, but it hasn't found one to add behind Charles Clay to this point. New OC Rick Dennison comes from the Kubiak/Shanahan offense that likes to use two and three tight ends at once. Barnidge, 32 later this year, was cut by the Browns over draft weekend and was in Carolina with coach Sean McDermott for two years.
Related: Bills

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Ex-Redskins GM Scot McCloughan has returned to operating his own scouting company, Instinctive Scouting, and already has two NFL teams as clients.

When McCloughan was out of the league before landing the Redskins job, this is what he did. He's widely known as a top-notch talent evaluator, and the Redskins reportedly still used his draft board for last weekend's draft. Apparently, they weren't the only ones, as McCloughan was consulted by a pair of other clubs. We'd bet McCloughan lands another front-office gig in time.

Source: Mike Silver on Twitter

Ex-Redskins GM Scot McCloughan has returned to operating his own scouting company, Instinctive Scouting, and already has two NFL teams as clients.

When McCloughan was out of the league before landing the Redskins job, this is what he did. He's widely known as a top-notch talent evaluator, and the Redskins reportedly still used his draft board for last weekend's draft. Apparently, they weren't the only ones, as McCloughan was consulted by a pair of other clubs. We'd bet McCloughan lands another front-office gig in time.

Source: Mike Silver on Twitter

Will he call it 20 drink minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bob McGinn has left JS
The good news is that Sid Hartman is still going strong

upload_2017-5-4_14-35-43.jpeg

I believe that might be a cassette voice recorder he's holding.....

Favourite Sean McDermott moment:

vasquez.gif

giphy.gif

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan says 'worst-case scenario' is Reuben Foster misses 2017 season

San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan acknowledged it is possible that rookie linebacker Reuben Foster could miss the 2017 season due to shoulder problems, but described it as the "worst-case scenario" in an interview with KNBR on Thursday.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/04/kyle-shanahan-reuben-foster-missing-season-possible

tenor.gif

As much as a fan I am of seeing Homer on the hook if this indeed is the case, I'm not overly concerned, what the 49ers gain for the long term outstrips the short term "loss". They are going into the season with Brian Hoyer as the starting QB this is not a team ready to win now so if Foster is put on ice for a year so be it.

As much as a fan I am of seeing Homer on the hook if this indeed is the case, I'm not overly concerned, what the 49ers gain for the long term outstrips the short term "loss". They are going into the season with Brian Hoyer as the starting QB this is not a team ready to win now so if Foster is put on ice for a year so be it.
It was a great value pick and if he red-shirts, so be it.

It was a great value pick and if he red-shirts, so be it.

Must admit I lost interest in Foster leading up to the draft because I didn't think the 49ers would take him at 2 and so would never land there....however, been looking through a lot of film since along side Patrick Willis' college tape and it is no disrespect to either player to draw the comparisons.

The 49ers were always going to be bad this season. The good thing is they knew it as well and without a good QB at the 2nd pick they traded down, hoarded some picks and will build a team that's easier for a rookie QB to come in and lead.

I've heard that the opening gambit in the Matthew Stafford contract extension is 6 years $170 million - yikes!

Given that Andrew Luck recently signed a 5 year, $123 million contract and the inexorable upward spiral of the salary cap then I could see how such a number could be dreamed up. Obviously there's a long way to go before a final figure is arrived at but you would think that a minimum figure for a 6 year contract would be around the $150 million mark ($25M per year x 6 years)

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back