2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread - Part IV A New Hope

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Coca Cola and Gatorade are AFL major partners, I expect they are protected. So the AFL wouldn't allow Red Bull to sponsor a club. Don't know any other clubs sponsored by other soft drinks.

Long time ago now, and there are plenty who think that the AFL knocked it back to make sure they were killed off, but Fitzroy were going to be sponsored by Schweppes but AFL vetoed because of the Coca Cola league sponsorship

Since Coca Cola and Gatorade are AFL major partners, I expect they are protected. So the AFL wouldn't allow Red Bull to sponsor a club. Don't know any other clubs sponsored by other soft drinks.
Would be certainly funny as hell if it were true.

Can you imagine... Port confirming Red Bull sponsoring, Afl says no we have always had an agreement no other drink sponsors apart from coke and gatorade.
Port wa wa that's not fair.
Kochie and co come on Radio saying how wrong it is... Rowie agrees saying this is unfair they have a company that thinks they are great but aren't allowed to sponsor them.
Then their supporters whine about the Afl trying to tear them apart.

Would be comedy gold.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

It depends on whether they are protected or not. Years ago the AFL had a shit fight with the Lions over being sponsored by Schweppes.

I can't see the major sponsor of the whole competition not being protected while a soft drink sponsor is.

I'd also suspect the AFL/Toyota deal was after Ford's arrangement with Geelong, so couldn't be protected anyway.

Toyota certainly came after Ford and Mazda sponsored Geelong and North. But they could always put a clause in to allow existing sponsors but no future sponsors. That clearly hasn't happened.

The AFL has sponsors for everything. Wooloworths are the "official supermarket". Virgin are the "official airline". Nab are the "official bank". If all of these sponsors were protected, then clubs would have to be sponsored by Main St Fish and Chips, because there would be no major brands left that wasn't a competitor to an existing AFL sponsor (see: A-League). I'd be amazed if Coca-Cola was protected.

In fact, Gatorade is owned by PepsiCo. A direct competitor to Coca-Cola and their Powerade brand. So, theres that.

Would be certainly funny as hell if it were true.

Can you imagine... Port confirming Red Bull sponsoring, Afl says no we have always had an agreement no other drink sponsors apart from coke and gatorade.
Port wa wa that's not fair.
Kochie and co come on Radio saying how wrong it is... Rowie agrees saying this is unfair they have a company that thinks they are great but aren't allowed to sponsor them.
Then their supporters whine about the Afl trying to tear them apart.

Would be comedy gold.

The AFL would say "you can't have a soft drink sponsor competing against our protected sponsor, Coca Cola. It's in the contract"

And we all know Kochie's attention to detail with contracts.

Don't they also Rebrand/name the team Redbull?

How would that go with "We are Port Adelaide".

Actually they are so pliable the average Tealster would nod their head in approval if Kochie and KT announced the franchise has been rebranded "Redbull Power" .....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

port adelaide bulls? :-o

I can't see the major sponsor of the whole competition not being protected while a soft drink sponsor is.

Toyota certainly came after Ford and Mazda sponsored Geelong and North. But they could always put a clause in to allow existing sponsors but no future sponsors. That clearly hasn't happened.

The AFL has sponsors for everything. Wooloworths are the "official supermarket". Virgin are the "official airline". Nab are the "official bank". If all of these sponsors were protected, then clubs would have to be sponsored by Main St Fish and Chips, because there would be no major brands left that wasn't a competitor to an existing AFL sponsor (see: A-League). I'd be amazed if Coca-Cola was protected.

In fact, Gatorade is owned by PepsiCo. A direct competitor to Coca-Cola and their Powerade brand. So, theres that.
It would specific to the arrangement and detailed in the contract. They signed a new deal with CUB this year that allowed Brisbane to pick up XXXX as a sponsor.

The Gatorade is an interesting one. Arguably could be it's not a competitor to Coke, the actual product. Coke also own one of the flavored milks along with a heap of other stuff.

Did the AFL deem a sports drink as not competing with Coke? Maybe. Would they deem the same of Red Bull?

I'm sure Coke put up a fight about Gatorade but obviously lost.

And you couldn't have a protected sponsor arrangement but 2 clubs excluded from that. Would be unfair on the other clubs.

Josh Kelly also staying at the Giants

North posters were so confident of landing either Kelly or Dusty.

Their top 8 aspirations have been blown apart. Apparently they thought they only needed a player to get back in the 8. Fascinating discussions on their board and where their list is at.

Their top 8 aspirations have been blown apart. Apparently they thought they only needed a player to get back in the 8. Fascinating discussions on their board and where their list is at.
There list is the worst in the comp and if I were Carlton, I'd be balls deep in Ben Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, Stringer officially out of the Bulldogs, straight from the coach
All this talk about his high worth seems crazy to me. Has had one stand out year. His finals form was pretty poor last year. Was lucky to keep his spot for the GF.

Wow, Stringer officially out of the Bulldogs, straight from the coach

The Beveridge statement was interesting. Seemed to leave a bridge in place to bring Stringer back into the fold - but poured enough petrol on it before dropping a match to make it near impossible for Stringer to stay.

Curious for two reasons. Not the first player that Beveridge has publicly burnt; and also would seem to have dropped some of his trade value. A contracted yet unwanted player has to fetch less than a contracted required player.

North would be in danger of not meeting salary requirements after missing out on those 2. Reckon they will be in the boxseat to land Motlop now...... Martin to Kelly to Motlop, wow.

North would be in danger of not meeting salary requirements after missing out on those 2. Reckon they will be in the boxseat to land Motlop now...... Martin to Kelly to Motlop, wow.
They will load up with Motlop, Rockliff and Menzel.

If they did that they would get an immediate improvement

The most amusing part was the fact that they refused to call it a rebuild and continued to run with "aggressive reset". Delusional. If they dont land anyone of note, they are gonna be where we were and will be paying plodders way more than they are worth. Will likely be stuck with 3 x 400Kay's on their list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back