VFL 2017 Sandringham News

Remove this Banner Ad

Good post.

On Brandon White -- I didn't have a handle on who he actually was!! I was able to isolate Rice but not White (have always gotten them mixed up). Looking at the Sandy site though, #65, he was definitely in the midst of things.

I also have faith in Paddy, as mentioned earlier, saw a different player come out after half time. I think he can make it, NEEDS to play aggressive and I reckon he needs to get fitter // ripped! Let's see what we see next season, but there's plenty there and think he'll play seniors again this year and even do well.

After today, I also rate Sincs, Pierce and Stevens a lot more highly than you! I reckon Pierce could make it and Sincs was most influential player on the ground for a good while.

Its an opinion business, and I certainly thought your analysis was pretty well in the mark too. I guess where we differ is maybe on what we see as the 'potential' part. Happy to be wrong! Just annoys me when you hear the same complete garbage criticism with no evidence or explanation (not from you at all mate).

Stevens: I don't disagree he was good, and didn't mean to come across as criticising his game. He was rock solid in the middle, and him going off (after sticking his body over a very contested footy) really hurt us. I like the pick up and will help protect kids as they develop. Just not sure if that is more in the AFL or VFL.

Sincs: Maybe I was harsh but I am looking for more at VFL level before I would pick him. Without seeing stats I reckon he had a ton of it. He was good no doubt. But he was one of the worst offenders delivering into 50 (which was absolute rubbish all day except for White when he got forward). And while he was a good 'link in the chain mid', he wasn't 'the mid' who could either win the ball inside, or get outside and break it open for us. And the lack of that player is a big reason why we got beat. With that amount of ball you can really star, but for me he didn't. Was good, just not great. I just want to see him dominate a bit more before he plays seniors. My 2 cents.

Pierce: really hope I am wrong here! Watched him in a VFL final against Collingwood a couple of years back and he had absolutely concrete hands. Took one solid overhead mark today, but that was really it for impact. And I really hate seeing big blokes try and take chest marks in the middle of a contest! On his rucking, not a big jump, not an absolutely massive size and none of the expert tapwork that we get from both Longer and Hickey (despite the s***fight on here). Absolutely 0 signs of him being able to play anywhere else then ruck (despite that myth that appeared on here from somewhere). And playing him and Holmes killed us structurally. Has time on his side, and not 100% sure he was fit today (apologies if playing injured). But for me overall he is a very distant third in line in our pecking order. Can he make it, of course. Personally, I just don't see how at the moment.

Definitely think we are on the same page re Paddy. There is a story about superstar American sportsman Bill Russell I heard somewhere years ago. As a young player he was struggling. Coach told him "on a nationally televised game throw an elbow. Just once and you will never have to do it again". Apparently flattened a bloke and won every award in it after that. I cant help but think of that when I see Paddy.
You can see the kids frustration, and I think (like Plugger) he is used to being able to own an area of the ground. He doesn't want to just be good ... he wants to dominate. Peter Caven learned what it was like to stand in the way of that, and very very few players ever stood in Plugger's way because of that presence. If Paddy keeps putting muscle on his size frame, and attacks the ball like he did a couple of times today, when it comes together he will be one hell of a presence. It wasn't dirty today, but jeez he hurt some blokes flying at it. I want to see more of that because it really gave off the feeling that he is 'going to arrive' one day. We saw glimpses of it in Tassie, and against Richmond before the collarbone. More confident than ever after today it will come. He does not like getting beaten, and certainly has the tools! Just needs time.

Finally, for whoever asked about Shai Bolton. Was he number 28/29? Bald head and played as a small forward? If so, I have never ever seen an ego on a player so large! Makes Alex Fasolo look like a shy introvert. The one he kicked from a free in front in the last would have got him a game in the 06 Italian soccer team. And his carry on after it was cringe-worthy. As a rule I try not to pot first (or second) year players who make mistakes or don't do much. But when you act like a pest and carry on like you have kicked the winner after the siren (and you haven't), then you leave yourself open to being branded a flog! So I will make an exception here. He did very very little and acted like a w**ker. Sorry but you asked!

Last edited:

Peter Jackson VFL 2017

Sandringham 2.2 3.5 6.9 8.13 (61)
Richmond 2.5 4.7 9.9 12.14 (86)

GOALS:
Sandringham: McCartin 3 Marshall 2 Wright Cook Answerth
Richmond: Chol 3 Bolton 2 Stengle 2 Ballard Ellis Aarts Wood Lennon

BEST:
Sandringham: Sinclair Sziller Le Grice McKenzie Rice White
Richmond: Garthwaite Batchelor Townsend Coffield Ellis Silvestro

Anyone know how Goddard went in the dev squad? Looks like they had a big win.

I'm going to go with dominated at chb , a match winning effort, surely to be promoted to the seniors next week.

Ok, he's not listed in the best six players but if the ball was mostly down the other end then it's a bit hard to be bog.

Was looking at Sandys home page and somehow stumbled onto the development squad results and best players . It's supposed to have stats too but maybe they are added later.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Anyone reckon Rice or Freeman a chance to make AFL debuts by round 10 or least 12? I think rice will but not sure about Freeman, he played 2 games so far no concerns with injuries but needs to get some form.
Id guess that freeman is a definite no at that point.

Not sure on rice, saints back 6 looking the best it has in a long time and midfield depth never better. Also will be battling dmac for a spot.

A few elaborations on the first half from yesterday... I'm at the airport about to head back west and very hungover urgh

Sinclair was simply a step above VFL yesterday. He reminds me of Sam Mitchell in that he's incredibly poised, has brilliant composure and just does everything well. I'd have him in the AFL side ahead of Dunstan at this stage.

Marshall took some really nice marks. He wasn't as big as I expected bit very nimble and looks likely.

I thought Paddy was pretty good. Marks it beautifully at the peak hand extension point. Delivery to him was awful at times. Kind of got the impression he considers himself above this level which is both good and bad I think.

Freeman looks like he's lacking confidence in his run. Had a few chances to take the game on and always handpassed off. Would like to see him run with the ball and break lines.

For the Tigers I really liked the look of Shai Bolton. Has some nice tricks shimmied and took on the game; will definitely be a good player at AFL level. The ability to take on a la Gresh is so vital these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Rice; he has some kind of an ankle injury, went to the bench to get it restrapped early and was pretty noticeably limping. Despite that he still played bloody well and got up super high in a couple of marking contests which bodes well.

Loved the games of Rice, Mccartin, DMac, Sincs and Sav yesterday.
It's significantly pleasing watching those types of performances knowing the pressure put on the senior blokes adds that little more drive.

Thanks Richo.

A few elaborations on the first half from yesterday... I'm at the airport about to head back west and very hungover urgh

Sinclair was simply a step above VFL yesterday. He reminds me of Sam Mitchell in that he's incredibly poised, has brilliant composure and just does everything well. I'd have him in the AFL side ahead of Dunstan at this stage.

Marshall took some really nice marks. He wasn't as big as I expected bit very nimble and looks likely.

I thought Paddy was pretty good. Marks it beautifully at the peak hand extension point. Delivery to him was awful at times. Kind of got the impression he considers himself above this level which is both good and bad I think.

Freeman looks like he's lacking confidence in his run. Had a few chances to take the game on and always handpassed off. Would like to see him run with the ball and break lines.

For the Tigers I really liked the look of Shai Bolton. Has some nice tricks shimmied and took on the game; will definitely be a good player at AFL level. The ability to take on a la Gresh is so vital these days.
You saw what I see in Sinclair. Has a great future imo.
Really want to see him get a run in the AFL again.

oKWKwSS.png

vhbaVkV.png

Sinclair has to be called up next week. Hope he has a breakout game in the seniors. Does anyone know if Marshal can be brought onto the senior list? May be a good replacement for Bruce as the forward ruck, or maybe just bring in for Longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2017 Sandringham News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back