2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My slandering of him is because it's my opinion that he is shithouse and shouldn't be in the team. The coaches talk about flexibility, he isn't. I rated him in 2013, but the game has gone past him, much like it did with SSelwood. I've seen it at training this preseason, and he sucks. He's constantly being told he's doing the wrong thing by players and coaches and doesn't see it.

To me he plays football for the title of being a footballer as opposed to loving football. He likes the perks associated with it. He's had 10 years now and legit thats a great career, he's set himself up but his time is up. Not many get a game let alone 150+.

Marsden is that "experienced" WAFL Ressies player that your Ammo club recruits. He thinks he's hot shit, he has the skills under no pressure of training, but he actually sucks.

There's criticism, then there's despising a player to the point that it's ridiculous. Yes, I know you hate Masten, but constantly drilling the point home at every opportunity is over the top.

Alex paech and tom de koning sound like interesting prospects at this early stage.
De koning a versatile tall forward whos still lightly framed while paech sounds like a monster kpf who will have to lose a few KGS to improve his running ability

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Alex paech and tom de koning sound like interesting prospects at this early stage.
De koning a versatile tall forward whos still lightly framed while paech sounds like a monster kpf who will have to lose a few KGS to improve his running ability

Who are these lads? - interesting names - are they in our academy?

Who are these lads? - interesting names - are they in our academy?
Nah just in the draft,I think paech may have ties to gws.
I just think we need to draft a kpf or 2 next year along with more mids and another small forward.
Doesn't look like there will be many west Aussie to choose from altho banfield and Ryan could be very draftable with strong seasons

It's not hate, most of what I say about him is just to give you the shits, but I think he's consistently a below average AFL player. I would rarely have him in my top 10 for a game and I think he's one of the midfielders in our team we could improve on, hopefully with one of the younger guys coming through.
Fair enough. But be prepared that by seasons end I will have either make you love him. Or you'll hate me ;)

Masten will have a big year. Average 23.6 possessions, play 20 games,kick .7 goals per game in the seniors.
With our ball winning mid stocks being elevated with the arrival of Mitchell and hopefully an improved redden masten will be one of the main beneficiaries

22.6 average possessions that are inconsequential

Sounds like apeness

My biggest issue with masten is his lack of real consistency. He took a while to show us anything good and he olny showed it for 2 years in 2012 and 13. Then 2015 he had a really good season as well but he had to carry that form or improve on that in 2016 but he completely failed. At the end of the day he has more competition for his spot this year than he has ever had and hence he will have to play at his best to keep his spot. masten has many deficiencies but the strengths that i do like about him is his ability to rack up the footy and his kicking inside 50. One thing that we have really lacked in the pasten is a second/third stringer consistently collecting 22-25 disposals again and that was evident last year. With the inclusion of mitchell and sheed and Redden regaining full fitness/form, masto ability to rack up the ball as a second/third stringer will be beneficial for us this year.

My biggest issue with masten is his lack of real consistency. He took a while to show us anything good and he olny showed it for 2 years in 2012 and 13. Then 2015 he had a really good season as well but he had to carry that form or improve on that in 2016 but he completely failed. At the end of the day he has more competition for his spot this year than he has ever had and hence he will have to play at his best to keep his spot. masten has many deficiencies but the strengths that i do like about him is his ability to rack up the footy and his kicking inside 50. One thing that we have really lacked in the pasten is a second/third stringer consistently collecting 22-25 disposals again and that was evident last year. With the inclusion of mitchell and sheed and Redden regaining full fitness/form, masto ability to rack up the ball as a second/third stringer will be beneficial for us this year.
I see it the opposite. I think with the addition of Mitchell, a fit Redden and Sheed, a switched on Jetta and a developing Duggan, Masten's touches now become irrelevant in the fact that he was getting picked because no one else got it that much. Now others should be getting it more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll always remember Masten as the core part of the Judd trade. Hasn't lived up to pick 3 at all. Compare to pick 2, one year later and we have Nic Nat to show for it...

Thank Christ Josh Kennedy lived up to his #4 selection.
Every time someone brings this up I love to hear who they would have drafted at 3 instead of Masten.

I'll always remember Masten as the core part of the Judd trade. Hasn't lived up to pick 3 at all. Compare to pick 2, one year later and we have Nic Nat to show for it...

Thank Christ Josh Kennedy lived up to his #4 selection.

Every time someone brings this up I love to hear who they would have drafted at 3 instead of Masten.

The first round from that year:
Matt Kreuzer
Trent Cotchin
Chris Masten
Cale Morton
Jarrad Grant
David Myers
Rhys Palmer
Lachlan Henderson
Ben McEvoy
Patrick Dangerfield
Patrick Veszpremi
Cyril Rioli
Brad Ebert
Jack Grimes
Robbie Tarrant
Matthew Lobbe
Harry Taylor
Alex Rance

Add to it we were always going to grab a mid on the back of Cousins, Judd and the even harder to replace Rowan Jones leaving so the choices were-
Morton, Palmer, Dangerfield, Veszpremi, Ebert (who we took anyway) and Grimes.

Dangerfield was seen as a bit of stretch taking him that early so it was never a viable option either.

What's the point of these conversations in hindsight? I'd take Dangerfield in case you're curious.

If you think that Masten has lived up to his pick, then I should move to your suburb and become a car salesman.

What's the point of these conversations in hindsight? I'd take Dangerfield in case you're curious.

If you think that Masten has lived up to his pick, then I should move to your suburb and become a car salesman.
The point is that so many people harp on about how we shouldn't have taken Masten with pick 3 but then when asked who they would take they can't give a realistic answer.

Dangerfield was no where near going at pick 3 so it's not a discussion of hindsight, it's bringing yourself back to 2007 and doing the draft again. If you do that then you would be choosing between the players that kane stated above.

From all the players that were being talked about as the best mids in the draft at around our pick, Masten is the best. We made the right choice.

Masten was pick 3 in a poor draft. In any other year he would never have been taken that high and in some years he wouldn't even be top 10

So no he hasn't lived up to what you'd expect from a top 3 pick but he was only there by default due to the small talent pool

I'll add that of the players taken in the top 10 arguably only kreuzer and Cotchin who were taken 1 and 2 and Dangerfield who was considered a reach at 10 have had better careers than masten

Masten was pick 3 in a poor draft. In any other year he would never have been taken that high and in some years he wouldn't even be top 10

So no he hasn't lived up to what you'd expect from a top 3 pick but he was only there by default due to the small talent pool

I'll add that of the players taken in the top 10 arguably only kreuzer and Cotchin who were taken 1 and 2 and Dangerfield who was considered a reach at 10 have had better careers than masten
At the time it was pretty well known that our preference was Cotchin and there was speculation that Cale Morten was to be picked by Richmond to join his brother Mitch who had a reasonable season by his standards. Pity it didn't happen.

The point is that so many people harp on about how we shouldn't have taken Masten with pick 3

I never implied that we shouldn't have taken Masten with pick 3, what I do question however, is why a number 3 pick of his "caliber" has never been able to take his game to an A-Grade level. Like most things in life, it probably has something to do with what's going on between the ears.

I never implied that we shouldn't have taken Masten with pick 3, what I do question however, is why a number 3 pick of his "caliber" has never been able to take his game to an A-Grade level. Like most things in life, it probably has something to do with what's going on between the ears.
So it's an issue with the quality of the the 2007 draft, not on Masten nor the clubs decision to pick him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back