2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Could Francis Watson be upgraded from the rookie list, or have all the senior spots been taken up?
We had 39 of a maximum 40
on the senior list to start the season so there was always one spot automatically available to upgrade a rookie

Lycett and Naitanui have been put on the LTI allowing for the elevation of both Petrie and McInnes

After Round 11 we are allowed to elevate another rookie provided we have the necessary cap space

In essence after the bye there's notionally 2 list spots available but they disappear once Lycett and potentially Naitanui return unless we demote McInnes or Petrie

If the club wants to play Watson they'll be able to find a spot for him

We had 39 of a maximum 40
on the senior list to start the season so there was always one spot automatically available to upgrade a rookie

That's true but it had to be used by a particular deadline (just before Round 1 from memory) and we didn't upgrade anyone.

Next opportunity is after Round 11, otherwise we'd have to put another player on the LTI List - possibly Waterman since there's still no indication when or if he'll be back this year.

As always depends on the price.

He will only cost us salary and a list spot and is playing well.

The injection of youth via Nelson, Sheed, Duggan and Mutimer is working. We also have a few likely looking kids sitting in the wings. Lets not go for another future blocker to stifle them.

The injection of youth via Nelson, Sheed, Duggan and Mutimer is working. We also have a few likely looking kids sitting in the wings. Lets not go for another future blocker to stifle them.

My thoughts are that our main 2 extractors are both in their 30s and have 1 or 2 years left . Are Sheed/Duggan ready to be the main extractors in 2018/2019?

Shuey, Sheed, Duggan at the centre square.

You feel comfortable with that?

He would be our 3rd best midfielder after Gaff/Shuey once Priddis/Mitchell leave.

My thoughts are that our main 2 extractors are both in their 30s and have 1 or 2 years left . Are Sheed/Duggan ready to be the main extractors in 2018/2019?

Shuey, Sheed, Duggan at the centre square.

You feel comfortable with that?

He would be our 3rd best midfielder after Gaff/Shuey once Priddis/Mitchell leave.

Mutimer is more of an extractor than Sheed, and Duggan could never be described as such.

I don't really like Rockliff though.

Mutimer is more of an extractor than Sheed, and Duggan could never be described as such.

I don't really like Rockliff though.

So Shuey, Mutimer, Redden in the centre square? Are we are going the rebuild at that point?

Either we are pushing for a flag in 2018/19 or starting a rebuild. Can't do both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Shuey, Mutimer, Redden in the centre square? Are we are going the rebuild at that point?

Either we are pushing for a flag in 2018/19 or starting a rebuild. Can't do both.

I wasn't really contradicting you I just felt like nitpicking, if anything I was strengthening your point haha. You make a fair enough point although I am wary of recruiting someone like Rockliff who isn't liked by his teammates and has serious 'dickhead' factor. That being said he is a FA so if we did go down that route I wouldn't kick and scream.

If we finish high enough this year it is likely Priddis and Mitchell will go again for one more. I daresay next year we will gain Naitanui and Venables into the mix and so the argument could be made that our first rounder is better spent trying to replace Kennedy than topping up with Rockliff, who frankly doesn't have the attributes to complement our midfield whilst in the same team as Priddis, Sheed and Redden.

EDIT: Brain fart. Literally forgot he was a FA seconds after I acknowledged it.

Last edited:
I wasn't really contradicting you I just felt like nitpicking, if anything I was strengthening your point haha. You make a fair enough point although I am wary of recruiting someone like Rockliff who isn't liked by his teammates and has serious 'dickhead' factor. That being said he is a FA so if we did go down that route I wouldn't kick and scream.

If we finish high enough this year it is likely Priddis and Mitchell will go again for one more. I daresay next year we will gain Naitanui and Venables into the mix and so the argument could be made that our first rounder is better spent trying to replace Kennedy than topping up with Rockliff, who frankly doesn't have the attributes to complement our midfield whilst in the same team as Priddis, Sheed and Redden.

Since Rockliff is a FA we would still be able to use our 1st rounder for a Kennedy replacement.

He would be surplus to requirements in our current team agreed. The issue is how long the current team is going to be around. It is completely possible that 2018 could be the last year for Priddis and Mitchell.

Then our midfield is going to look awfully thin.

Since Rockliff is a FA we would still be able to use our 1st rounder for a Kennedy replacement.

He would be surplus to requirements in our current team agreed. The issue is how long the current team is going to be around. It is completely possible that 2018 could be the last year for Priddis and Mitchell.

Then our midfield is going to look awfully thin.

Damn, I'm all over the place today. Contradicted myself after I had just said it's good that he's a FA, haha.

Yes you have a valid point. I'm open to it. But I also don't like cramming Rockliff into a midfield that already lacks pace and spread from stoppages. He'd be a handy player to have in 2019 (albeit at 29) but if we're going to have he, Priddis, Mitchell and Sheed in the one midfield, Redden will have to take a semi-permanent back seat. You could well make the argument that even now Redden is lucky to be in the side. There is also the 'dickhead' factor with Rockliff as I suggested before which I suspect will put off the club and leadership group. We'll see what happens but I don't see this particular move happening.

As for the midfield group looking awfully thin, it depends largely on the development of guys like Sheed, Duggan, Venables and to a lesser extent Mutimer. Year to year improvement isn't always linear but by 2019 I'd expect these guys to be picking up more slack than they are now. Venables in particular I think looms as an important prospect for us.

Regardless of whether we recruit Rockliff as a FA, I think we could well do with another mid that can spread and damage on the outside. A good one though, not like Jetta.

Since we'll be getting an extra 1.9 mil in the salary cap, I think we should use part of it to make a play for Mitch McGovern.

Trade: 2018 first round pick
Receive: Mitch McGovern

Offer a 2 year deal at 500-600k a year to get him over the line.

With our midfield looking quite nice with Sheed, Duggan, Nelson and Mutimer as the future, I think we should be planning for life after Kennedy.

Since we'll be getting an extra 1.9 mil in the salary cap, I think we should use part of it to make a play for Mitch McGovern.

Trade: 2018 first round pick
Receive: Mitch McGovern

Offer a 2 year deal at 500-600k a year to get him over the line.

With our midfield looking quite nice with Sheed, Duggan, Nelson and Mutimer as the future, I think we should be planning for life after Kennedy.
Serious question CM, is he worth 500-600k a season? I like the (admittedly limited) amount I've seen, but....
Maybe he'll take less bucks than that to play for us knowing he won't have to go up against his older brother...sorry, silly joke, serious question.

Serious question CM, is he worth 500-600k a season? I like the (admittedly limited) amount I've seen, but....
Maybe he'll take less bucks than that to play for us knowing he won't have to go up against his older brother...sorry, silly joke, serious question.

From what I've read, Adelaide won't be offering anything over 400k, so bumping up our offer with an extra couple 100k should be enticing enough.

On whether he's worth it, well, 22 year old forwards with great leap who kick 32 goals in their second year (especially with a forward line like Adelaides) don't come around often, and he has a pretty massive ceiling if his brother is anything to go by.

Additionally, who doesn't want to see double McGovern action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back