List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As giantroos table showed they ended up with 1300 more trade value points then us and 2 players we would be happy to have - luck, list manager skills, whatever ... their trade outcome infinitely better than ours especially considering our identical finishing positions
Last I checked, this competition is about performance on the field, not media releases after trade week. Carlton has been doing the same thing, winning the trade and draft and selling hope, for 15 years, and they still were worse this season than our worst ladder finish in living memory. Don't get sucked in.

As giantroos table showed they ended up with 1300 more trade value points then us and 2 players we would be happy to have - luck, list manager skills, whatever ... their trade outcome infinitely better than ours especially considering our identical finishing positions

You can't compare Carlton with North from a trade asset perspective.

Our quality retired after fighting out consecutive strong finals campaigns.

The quality they traded out has been accumulated from continual failure and ejected because they haven't gotten anywhere near their goals again..

Only thing that makes this hard to believe is that you would think we would have grabbed this in a heartbeat. If true and we knocked it back - WTF?

Read on - not true according to anyone credible.

Only thing that makes this hard to believe is that you would think we would have grabbed this in a heartbeat. If true and we knocked it back - WTF?

I hope it’s totally further from the truth

Maybe the club offering the picks was not in Melbourne? Regardless of whether it is true, Goldy doesn’t have to do anything, he has us wrapped around his little finger

I am going to back him in to have a monsterous year and finish off his career in a good light

(Wishful thinking maybe..)

I hope it’s totally further from the truth

Maybe the club offering the picks was not in Melbourne? Regardless of whether it is true, Goldy doesn’t have to do anything, he has us wrapped around his little finger

I am going to back him in to have a monsterous year and finish off his career in a good light

(Wishful thinking maybe..)
Hope you are right.

Hope you are right.

We got no choice

If I was north, I would sit him down and be like it’s been nearly 2 years now. Time to move on from your mental issues, we need you back to your multiple dicks or you will be playing in the VFL. The ball is in your court

I highly doubt we wouldn’t have taken that deal also because our intentions was to find goldy a new home?

I am more angry that we have 3 rucks on our list

I am more angry that we have 3 rucks on our list

This is a standard list arrangement, unless you take the view that the ruck is a redundant position.

Forget the Goldy talk.

He HAS to agree on the trade.

The ball is totally in his court.

Totally.
That's true, he could be the one putting about the major stink about leaving north/Victoria and the club is getting blasted for no reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno I just don't reckon it is all so bad. We have pick 4, and with it the opportunity to draft an elite midfielder.

We've shown over the last couple of years you can get the extra draft pick by trading for a young fringe player - Hrovat, Ahern, Jacobs were all those coveted picks in the top 30. I wonder if we are looking at Hartung as a DFA, thought we might get him for a late pick. Players acquired this way don't need to be superstars, we are aiming for solid citizens.

Free agency is the best way to land the absolute elite talent, it is just bloody hard and competitive. But if you get the rest of the pieces in place, they will come. We haven't landed one yet, but if we pick a good player this year, and some of the other youngsters start showing some good form, suddenly things look different.

Trading players like Goldy, Tarrant or Cunners may net us more high picks, but it comes at a cost. What if those two elite players can be brought in over the next 2-3 years? If we retain our best players, we may challenge. If we trade them, we have developing youngsters and likely a different set of gaps to fill.

We have a heap of developing players already, we don't need to send off our good players to get more and more and more. If the ones we already have can't be developed into decent players, then more picks aren't going to help.

I just don't think we need to scrap the program and start again - we had a shot, missed, and dipped as you would expect losing 1000+ games of experience out of our side. I expect us to be better next year - would Mullet and Hansen have played many games this year if we didn't have injuries? Would Swallow and Thomas? I doubt it. I think there is certainly an argument our best 22 will be better next year through players returning from injury, and development of youth. Then there are wildcards of pick 4 and Ahern. Who knows? I can't wait for next year! It is a great time to be a North supporter - the team has changed a lot over the 2 seasons and we will be seeing new top level talent on the park. We have an experienced core that have played a lot of football together, many of whom had good years - McDonald, Cunners, Atley all had career best years from my perspective.

So get around us!

A question, why did we receive a draft pick for Gibbo when he was delisted?

The biggest winner is Fremantle, pick ****ing 2

2018 will determine how good essendons and ports trade periods were.

We didn't trade because there was zero interest in any of our elite B grade talent or we just said noway.

I wonder how good a poker player freos list manager Brad is? Shafted the Suns better then any Hawks list manager could shaft us.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/19/chris-pelchen's-ultimate-club-by-club-trade-period-grades/

North Melbourne: D

IN: Pick 91, West Coast 2018 third-round pick, St Kilda 2018 third-round

OUT: Sam Gibson, pick 46, 2018 third-round pick

DRAFT PICKS: 4, 23, 64, 78, 91, 96

“This one really surprised me. I’m disappointed with what hasn’t gone on. They’ve said they’re rebuilding, but if you are going to publicly state that, you need to walk the talk to support your intent. Fremantle, Brisbane and Carlton have done that and I thought North Melbourne missed an opportunity. The only chance you get to change the cycle of one pick in each round is during the trade period and they haven’t done that.”

The biggest winner is Fremantle, pick ******* 2

2018 will determine how good essendons and ports trade periods were.

We didn't trade because there was zero interest in any of our elite B grade talent or we just said noway.

I wonder how good a poker player freos list manager Brad is? Shafted the Suns better then any Hawks list manager could shaft us.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gibbo wasn't offered a contract for next year, so he was officially off the books only at the end of the month.

We did it so Gibbo could get to his club of choice, rather than run the PSD gauntlet.

2 players you would be happy to have maybe. You want the club to pay overs for a guy they don't rate so you have someone new to look at?

2 players you would be happy to have maybe. You want the club to pay overs for a guy they don't rate so you have someone new to look at?
agreed, as Passmore said the only thing the bluws got to be envious about was 2 first rounders for Gibbs.

Neither Kennedy or Lang makes us a better walk up team. infact there is little evidence it impoves them with a likely top 3 recruit joining their midfield.

If you actually have a look in detail u will realise Carlton payed almost nothing for Lang and still managed far greater net gains in draft despite gaining Kennedy - I'll put it to you this way - if we had traded out Tarrant and Goldy and brought in Kennedy, Lang, a back up ruck, an additional 1st round pick this year, improved later round positions in 2017 and 18 and a total net positive of 1300 trade points compared to Carlton... I can tell you the tone of this thread would be a lot more positive

I really don’t get where some posters are coming from.

I think some posters don’t get free agency and trade.

1. Players must agree if contracted to being traded. This is the most important element. With the Gibbs scenario. He wanted to go home. I feel Adelaide paid overs but they are in the premiership window. For example if cunners wanted to leave the club. There is no doubt we would of extracted a similar deal. But he didn’t want out.

2. You must have value on the list to be traded. Not saying that we have no value on our list. We just don’t have an abundance. Take Carltank for example. They are full of high end draft picks and have been in rebuild mode for over a decade. Another way of looking at it is I am glad that those of value on our list haven’t left or requested trades.

3. A few posters have stated this that unfortunately those in FA window on our list are not playing their best and therefore had no value to other clubs. Eg Hanson and others. This has hurt our ability to rebuild faster and gain additional high value picks.

4. Notions of trading key personel such as Tarrant is just stupidity. We do not have the depth down back. Additionally Tarrant is vital in showing guidance and standards to ensure the next generation pick up from where he has left from. Similiar to Drew’s influence on Brown. If we didnt have Waite or drew over last 3 years, BBB wouldn’t be the player he is. You simply just can’t cut everyone and trade them. Leadership is vital for a teams transisition and success moving forward.

5. Top up players via FA. There isn’t a real need for us as we won’t be contending in the next 2 years. We are rebuilding. Yes there were some age appropriate good gets by other clubs, but none of these were what we needed, an A grade mid.

I really don’t get the pessimism of some posters. No we didn’t win the trade period and we will struggle to be competitive next year, though I see a plan in place and can see good future down the road.

If you actually have a look in detail u will realise Carlton payed almost nothing for Lang and still managed far greater net gains in draft despite gaining Kennedy - I'll put it to you this way - if we had traded out Tarrant and Goldy and brought in Kennedy, Lang, a back up ruck, an additional 1st round pick this year, improved later round positions in 2017 and 18 and a total net positive of 1300 trade points compared to Carlton... I can tell you the tone of this thread would be a lot more positive
Lang and Kennedy are Moot, they got better returns because they had Adelaide pay overs for a player that nominated to go there, just as GC did for Weller.
Compared to this Lang and Kennedy look like better deals because they cost closer to what they were worth.

if carlton got Adam Kennedy that would be another story. very nice defender in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back