List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The concern about the Lang trade has little to do with need to see Lang run around in a North jumper - he's an OK mid that was traded at almost no cost. The worry is that he weighed up 2 clubs who both wanted him and almost certainly took the one he saw as having the greatest upside with a clear strategy in place

The concern about the Lang trade has little to do with need to see Lang run around in a North jumper - he's an OK mid that was traded at almost no cost. The worry is that he weighed up 2 clubs who both wanted him and almost certainly took the one he saw as having the greatest upside with a clear strategy in place
i believe he took the one that wanted him more, IIRC we offered him 2 years and carlton 3. Nothing wrong with that, its like an auction, you only bid what you want to spend, if the item goes above that just lt it go through to the keeper. i wouldn't be surprised if we were into matt hanson FWIF.

lets compare them, both had pretty good years in the VFL, only one being listed got an opertunity to be promoted later in the year, with Matts Werribee form if he was available surely he would have been given a run at the end of last year when we were virtually out of stocks,

Lang took the offer that was financially better for him. Our offer was pretty low so the choice was easy for him.

If you actually have a look in detail u will realise Carlton payed almost nothing for Lang and still managed far greater net gains in draft despite gaining Kennedy - I'll put it to you this way - if we had traded out Tarrant and Goldy and brought in Kennedy, Lang, a back up ruck, an additional 1st round pick this year, improved later round positions in 2017 and 18 and a total net positive of 1300 trade points compared to Carlton... I can tell you the tone of this thread would be a lot more positive
We knew what it would take to get Lang and decided it was overs. I don't get your angst. He was ours if we wanted him and we didn't.

Goldy is clearly not going to bring us anything like half the points increase you're chasing, or we'd have taken it. If he was willing to opt out of his contract.

I wouldn't have shopped Taz, but if he was worth a first rounder I reckon the club would have heard something and probably acted on it. Glad he stays though.

I'm not convinced we are on the right track, and to be honest I don't think trade week was our finest effort in messaging to our members and fans. But I am not going to lose a wink of sleep knowing Tarrant snd Goldstein are at our club, and Kennedy and Lang aren't.

I really don’t get where some posters are coming from.

I think some posters don’t get free agency and trade.

1. Players must agree if contracted to being traded. This is the most important element. With the Gibbs scenario. He wanted to go home. I feel Adelaide paid overs but they are in the premiership window. For example if cunners wanted to leave the club. There is no doubt we would of extracted a similar deal. But he didn’t want out.

2. You must have value on the list to be traded. Not saying that we have no value on our list. We just don’t have an abundance. Take Carltank for example. They are full of high end draft picks and have been in rebuild mode for over a decade. Another way of looking at it is I am glad that those of value on our list haven’t left or requested trades.

3. A few posters have stated this that unfortunately those in FA window on our list are not playing their best and therefore had no value to other clubs. Eg Hanson and others. This has hurt our ability to rebuild faster and gain additional high value picks.

4. Notions of trading key personel such as Tarrant is just stupidity. We do not have the depth down back. Additionally Tarrant is vital in showing guidance and standards to ensure the next generation pick up from where he has left from. Similiar to Drew’s influence on Brown. If we didnt have Waite or drew over last 3 years, BBB wouldn’t be the player he is. You simply just can’t cut everyone and trade them. Leadership is vital for a teams transisition and success moving forward.

5. Top up players via FA. There isn’t a real need for us as we won’t be contending in the next 2 years. We are rebuilding. Yes there were some age appropriate good gets by other clubs, but none of these were what we needed, an A grade mid.

I really don’t get the pessimism of some posters. No we didn’t win the trade period and we will struggle to be competitive next year, though I see a plan in place and can see good future down the road.
There's a perception that all clubs start from the same position at trade time and have the same trade chips and have the same goals.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Lang and Kennedy are Moot, they got better returns because they had Adelaide pay overs for a player that nominated to go there, just as GC did for Weller.
Compared to this Lang and Kennedy look like better deals because they cost closer to what they were worth.

if carlton got Adam Kennedy that would be another story. very nice defender in him.
Kennedy Lang and Lobbe would be the equivalent of Hartung Miles and Hampson.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I really don’t get where some posters are coming from.

I think some posters don’t get free agency and trade.

1. Players must agree if contracted to being traded. This is the most important element. With the Gibbs scenario. He wanted to go home. I feel Adelaide paid overs but they are in the premiership window. For example if cunners wanted to leave the club. There is no doubt we would of extracted a similar deal. But he didn’t want out.

2. You must have value on the list to be traded. Not saying that we have no value on our list. We just don’t have an abundance. Take Carltank for example. They are full of high end draft picks and have been in rebuild mode for over a decade. Another way of looking at it is I am glad that those of value on our list haven’t left or requested trades.

3. A few posters have stated this that unfortunately those in FA window on our list are not playing their best and therefore had no value to other clubs. Eg Hanson and others. This has hurt our ability to rebuild faster and gain additional high value picks.

4. Notions of trading key personel such as Tarrant is just stupidity. We do not have the depth down back. Additionally Tarrant is vital in showing guidance and standards to ensure the next generation pick up from where he has left from. Similiar to Drew’s influence on Brown. If we didnt have Waite or drew over last 3 years, BBB wouldn’t be the player he is. You simply just can’t cut everyone and trade them. Leadership is vital for a teams transisition and success moving forward.

5. Top up players via FA. There isn’t a real need for us as we won’t be contending in the next 2 years. We are rebuilding. Yes there were some age appropriate good gets by other clubs, but none of these were what we needed, an A grade mid.

I really don’t get the pessimism of some posters. No we didn’t win the trade period and we will struggle to be competitive next year, though I see a plan in place and can see good future down the road.

Can't speak for others but my issues are judging North's strategic direction 2016-17-18 as a unit rather than this year in isolation.

There are various individual actions taken that appear disjointed and not part of a cohesive direction.

I think it is becoming less and less important. A couple of decent rucks will do. Then again, injuries etc
That's why they don't have much trade value at the moment. Days of Wood for pick 8 are long gone.

A phone call at 1.55pm on thursday to GC with ....how about Swallow and 4 for 2 ..does not constitute a legal 'offer' - it had no value.

How do you know that phone call was made at 1.55 pm yesterday. Source please otherwise you are just posting crap, not to mention the fact that also influencing anything we would offer was Freo, who said they would only trade Weller for Pick 2. And they said that from the moment Weller said he wanted to go home.

Can't speak for others but my issues are judging North's strategic direction 2016-17-18 as a unit rather than this year in isolation.

There are various individual actions taken that appear disjointed and not part of a cohesive direction.
The only odd ones for me are recontracting Waite and Thommo. Otherwise it seems a pretty straight policy of accepting we need to rebuild a bit, backing draftees, not bringing in any older players, and moving on our own older players as they come out of contract. I don't mind the decisions in isolation but I don't think they fit a clear narrative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only odd ones for me are recontracting Waite and Thommo. Otherwise it seems a pretty straight policy of accepting we need to rebuild a bit, backing draftees, not bringing in any older players, and moving on our own older players as they come out of contract. I don't mind the decisions in isolation but I don't think they fit a clear narrative.
i just think its as simple as we didnt have the ammo to delist them all this year with who was available,

The only greater upside that Lang saw was the number of $ on the offer to him. Spare me this crap about Carlton's clearer strategy.

What part of the fact that we were lukewarm on Lang so let him go to someone who paid more do you not get? One club wanted him more.

What part of his manager's statement that Lang was impressed with North when he toured do you not get?

And you know what - trade thread actually does not of itself equal pessimism. So that's another thing you don't get. Some of the pessimism comes from the whining about the fact that the club didn't pay overs for a C-grader.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hear your point.

Can you elaborate on these “various individual actions”?

Of course. We completely changed tack when Martin backed out.

A phone call at 1.55pm on thursday to GC with ....how about Swallow and 4 for 2 ..does not constitute a legal 'offer' - it had no value.
I have yet to see any indication that Gold Coast were interested in Swallow. If they did actually want him, I am sure they could have got him for a packet of chips- we virtually offered to give him away a few days ago and they politely declined

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back