List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if you look at his draft profile and position that is understandable - but why are Geelong not trying that hard to keep him?

He wants more midfield opportunities and I figure Geelong are struggling cap wise.

They have stated that they would give him a contract.

Langs window for midfield opportunity (and more coin) will probably close if he doesn't pull the ripcord now.

One case struck me as particularly tortuous. After renditioning him halfway across the world to a black site in Poland, the USA and their paid psychologists interrogated one suspect to the brink of insanity through waterboarding, stress techniques and sensory deprivation. All horrific acts and largely absent of any consideration of the Geneva Convention. The report is light on details from this point on, but a summary of techniques used really highlights the depravity of the USA psychologists. They made the poor bastard listen to Dwayne Russell and Adam Cooney talk about the AFL trade period for hours on end.

Unfortunately the result was classic Stockholm Syndrome.

This is the "particularly torturous" victim now. Some may say it was better for society that he remained in US imprisonment.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F03%2F09%2F16%2F39%2Fdamo.jpg

The trade period should start from the 1st week after the grand final, and be open until around round 6-8. Teams are given about a third of the season to assess how their list is doing, what they might need, is it not their year etc. Just makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is not having the trade period open during the AFL draft, that is one of the most baffling things I've ever known, players drop down the draft and teams want to move up to grab them, but there's no option for them to do so. Would add a very exciting aspect to draft night.

If it was like this people wouldn't be glued to their computers over the course of a week or two to witness about 3 trades, which all happen on the last day anyway.

He wants more midfield opportunities and I figure Geelong are struggling cap wise.

Langs window for midfield opportunity (and more coin) will probably close if he doesn't pull the ripcord now.

I note all of that but no one would know him better than Geelong, if the kid was high quality they would find a way to keep him. Just think this one smells a bit...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CLUBS, MANAGER WAIT ON LANG DECISION

Darcy Lang is expected to choose today between Gold Coast and Carlton as his preferred new home.

North Melbourne showed some interest in the young Geelong midfielder but the Suns and Blues have made the strongest case.

Lang's manager Scott Lucas said he was hoping for a decision soon with the possibility a move to Gold Coast could form part of a deal for Gary Ablett.

He also spoke to AFL Trade Radio about a couple of other players on his books.

DARCY LANG

"Gold Coast have certainly had an interest in him, there's no doubt about that.

"There were reports (in the Herald Sun) he caught up with them for a meeting, spoke to the coach - that's all true. He got a lot out of that meeting (and) also meet with a couple of Victorian teams, Carlton and North Melbourne.

"Basically today, sooner rather than later, Darcy needs to decide where ideally he'd like to go then speak to that club and inform them and rely on that club and Geelong coming to an agreement that satisfies both parties."

BILLY HARTUNG

"We've had some good discussions with Hawthorn, their priorities have been firmly fixed on the trade (period) as all clubs have, so it becomes a discussion after the trade period tomorrow around list spots, the draft, how they see it and we work from there - we're hopeful, though, that there's a spot there for him."

TOM CAMPBELL

"There has been some interest in Tom, the Dogs were happy to explore all opportunities there but I'd say at this stage the most likely scenario is that Tom remains a Bulldog.

"He's got a year to go on his contract and an excellent chance to play a lot of games next year in the ruck."

I do like our apparent adherence to prudent spending. Hopefully stays that way.

Totally agree but I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't have been hard to offer him something greater than loose change and still have plenty left over given we had the mega-Kelly/Dusty warchest. Our payroll person will be twiddling their thumbs for most of 2018.

Exactly. He knows with GAJ returning his midfield opps will be limited. Geelong have probably offered him a shitty deal. Its win win for them. If he goes they get another draft pick, if he stays they get a decent player on low wages.

Sounds like we are lukewarm on him. Happy to keep the pick. He will probably get greater midfield opportunities with us and would get to stay in Melbourne, so suspect it's about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back