List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure Kingy, lets just pull first round draft picks out from between your rolls of fat. Unless of course we want to give up players like Cunners or Tarrant.
#f'wit

It's like they think we haven't taken a kid in the draft for 10 years. Lack of picks in a weak draft isn't concerning considering we always take a lot of kids in normal and rookie drafts.

He's right to an extent. List management team should of read the writing on the wall after losing pretty much half a season straight and bombing the finals, especially delisting that chunk of players.

Should of gone the full cut and got value for players that still had it.

We are going to have a huge turnover if Swallow and LT leave the club, which we will essentially be making up with rookie picks that we have to give 2 year contracts.

Even if we get nothing for Swallow and LT, it's still good list management to pass them off when we can and free up their salaries compared to a draftee base rate.

Heh I saw Jesse Smith entered that conversation? Made more sense than most.

BTW dont have a deck...but just going to go and boy some Intragain Ultradeck. Thanks Theo

(just for the record, I'm not really)

Last edited:
Who was buried? I've raised the problem with Cunnington/Ziebell/Swallow in the middle since before Swallow's injury and after the Achilles he has been a shadow of his former self, can't imagine anyone would being against releasing Andrew from his commitment. It was just unrealistic while GC had a super midfield, it has declined radically over the last few years and there is scope for him to play a role there now.

Plenty get buried on here for suggesting trades - ex captains especially...

Very early on I posted that we needed to make a call on our direction and then go all in on achieving it.

We've now made the call publicly that we are going to the draft.

So I don't care how but find a way to get more top end picks, if this results in casualties to club favourites then so be it.

I agree, but want future picks not picks for the upcoming draft...

Heh I saw Jesse Smith entered that conversation? Made more sense than most.

BTW dont have a deck...but just going to go and boy some Neutragain Ultradeck. Thanks Theo

(just for the record, I'm not really)

Nah, that was just some flog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy enough but Ralph Malph has been speaking some sense this morning. Says on SEN that its a joke that there will be AFL-X in place of one of the preseason games and nobody at all cares about it but the AFL. Also agrees North are doing the right thing moving on the older guys and playing all the kids next year.

He must still be in a good mood from GF day

Bugger me, disappointed by what ? that we aren't bringing in other clubs nuffies ?......... reality check required !!
That was my biggest fear, paying A Grade money for B Grade Free Agents. Glad that's been avoided in these weeks.
As for disappointment? C'mon Frank take a deep breath - would Nick Theodossi take your 87 Corolla as a straight up swap for something at the front of the showroom? Love to see where these guys think our current leverage is aside from FA cash, which as stated is not being used to lure B Graders atm.

Cornes: “It’s going to be a world of pain for North Melbourne”

The Kangaroos saw the likes of Brent Harvey, Michael Firrito, Nick Dal Santo, Daniel Wells and Drew Petrie leave last year and have already parted ways with Sam Gibson and Aaron Mullett this off-season.

Additionally, the futures of Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow and Lindsay Thomas are in question which suggests to Cornes that there are some tough times ahead at Arden Street.

“We’re presuming they (Goldstein, Swallow & Thomas) are going to struggle to make the best 22 and be overlooked for younger players at North Melbourne,” he said on NAB AFL Trade Radio this morning.

“That’s what it sounds like.

“All three already in their careers (have been dropped). It could be a long year for them.

“The only reason they are at the footy club is because they’re contracted.

“It’s going to be a world of pain for North Melbourne next year, unfortunately.

“They’ll be worse than this year.

“The issue for me, it’s not as if they are the Brisbane Lions who have got these draft picks. Brisbane have pick 1 and all these picks inside the first round – North Melbourne don’t.

“They’ve got one pick – pick 4 – you’d want to hope that’s a good player and they’ve got some salary cap room to attract a free agent next year.

“North Melbourne fans, I’m concerned. I think it’s going to an ugly couple of years.”

He makes a fair point that some here have already stated. A rebuild is going to be pretty patchy if we're not bringing in more highly rated youngsters at once.

As we know though our currency is somewhat stuffed, not assisted by the mixed messages it seems we've communicated to Goldstein over the year who's probably the only bloke with real trade value that could realistically move without killing the side.
Goldie has very little trade value. Damaged goods, just like Stringer. The entire competition knows that. Stringer is 23 but Goldie us pushing 30, so the upside with Stringer is far better if the can resolve his personal issues. A big if, in my opinion. Would you be happy if we gave up pick 23 for someone of Goldies ilk? People from this board would burn the club to the ground. You can see why noone has approached us.

It's like they think we haven't taken a kid in the draft for 10 years. Lack of picks in a weak draft isn't concerning considering we always take a lot of kids in normal and rookie drafts.

In all honesty, we don't tend to promote fact we have been involved in the draft during selection. As I have said numerous times, I will believe in a club wide change of philosophy if when all players are fit, the midfield group in the centre square is very different to last year rather than playing around on the flanks. Every NM spokesman has spoken about needing to add pace and skill in the middle. That tells me that we need to have at least one of Mountford, Simpkin etc in the square at all times with 1 or 2 of Cunnington, Dumont or Ziebell.

Most of the damage of waiting too long to trade out our veterans was mitigated by us keeping our first three picks the past 5+ years.

There's a lot of inexperienced mouths to feed as we already have a lot of young unproven players on our list that need game-time, so it doesn't concern me too much that we're only taking two good picks to the draft. There's plenty of young talent (12 u22 players on our list were drafted in the first two rounds) on our list already, so I don't see the need to bring in a lot more of them straight away, especially at the expense of our thin crop of experienced players.

The only thing that we're missing is players with star potential, but we weren't going to get those anyway by trading out a Goldstein or Tarrant type. Plenty of opportunities for that to come however with pick 4 this year and our pick next year. If Cerra and and our pick next year are both guns, our list is going to be in great shape.

Cornes: “It’s going to be a world of pain for North Melbourne”

The Kangaroos saw the likes of Brent Harvey, Michael Firrito, Nick Dal Santo, Daniel Wells and Drew Petrie leave last year and have already parted ways with Sam Gibson and Aaron Mullett this off-season.

Additionally, the futures of Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow and Lindsay Thomas are in question which suggests to Cornes that there are some tough times ahead at Arden Street.

“We’re presuming they (Goldstein, Swallow & Thomas) are going to struggle to make the best 22 and be overlooked for younger players at North Melbourne,” he said on NAB AFL Trade Radio this morning.

“That’s what it sounds like.

“All three already in their careers (have been dropped). It could be a long year for them.

“The only reason they are at the footy club is because they’re contracted.

“It’s going to be a world of pain for North Melbourne next year, unfortunately.

“They’ll be worse than this year.

“The issue for me, it’s not as if they are the Brisbane Lions who have got these draft picks. Brisbane have pick 1 and all these picks inside the first round – North Melbourne don’t.

“They’ve got one pick – pick 4 – you’d want to hope that’s a good player and they’ve got some salary cap room to attract a free agent next year.

“North Melbourne fans, I’m concerned. I think it’s going to an ugly couple of years.”

I think we all need to get our heads around the fact that Cornes is absolutely correct. We arent going into this draft with 4 picks in the top 25. Next year will in all likelihood be worse than this year. I actually dont think theres anything wrong with that though. It is what it is. We are rebuilding

Is it just me or are the media "experts" more worried about our list than what we are?

We see a lot of potential in our guys based on what we see as their skillset presents. They look at who plays in the seniors and what impact they have.

We rarely give our young guys and major responsibility so they don't have the profile.

I think we all need to get our heads around the fact that Cornes is absolutely correct. We arent going into this draft with 4 picks in the top 25. Next year will in all likelihood be worse than this year. I actually dont think theres anything wrong with that though. It is what it is. We are rebuilding

We're also going into this draft with a number of players who have played less than 15 games, and potentially one of Rankine/Lukosius/King/King and also Thomas in the 2018 draft. We have PLENTY of development potential - 4 and 23 this year are icing on all of that.

The elephant in the room isn't lack of draft picks, it's lack of resources/capability already at the club to facilitate player development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back