List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Coast just needs to keep playing hard ball. Geelong is like that kid at the grocery shop who throws a tantrum when they don’t get their favourite lolly, they will have to cough up a player unfortunately for them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Guys wanting to go to GC to have a nice relaxing AFL footy career. Sounds good.

Have a bit of a surf......pick up or perve at the chics.

Get paid. Get laid.

Nice.
If Gold Coast could even become a competent organisation they can definitely become a destination club. The reasons you mentioned, among other benefits of playing up there, there’s are plenty of worse way to live.

I can’t wait for it to be revealed on the final day who all these other mids we’ve been talking to are :)

I think we're banking on the current 24 and unders with this years first to be the core (plus seniors obviously) being the core with the 2018 draft the icing. Time will tell. I don't think we're too concerned about next year. We'll either have a great injury run and go okay or we won't and it will be much as this year.

Harrison Wigg to the suns confirmed. We probably should’ve gone a bit harder for him.
Adelaide is looking good with their draft picks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are now officially that really drunk guy at a club at the end of the night.

We have chatting up stunners all night but they have managed to get away from us.

Then we turn our sights to the less appealing types just so we don't go home alone but are spurned as well.

Swallow for a 4th rounder is the equivalent of crying into a Kebab on Sydney Road contemplating what happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“You can’t rebuild by delisting players”… Take a risk North, says Pelchen

Former St Kilda and Hawthorn list manager Chris Pelchen has urged North Melbourne to accelerate their aggressive rebuild by looking to take more risks at the trade table.

After delisting a slew of veterans, including AFL games record holder Brent Harvey last season, the Kangaroos have continued that trend in 2017. The likes of Sam Gibson and Lachlan Hansen have been moved on, while Andrew Swallow and Lindsey Thomas seem likely to depart the club.

Despite the big name cuts, Pelchen isn’t sold on North’s rebuilding plan, thinking they need to start getting a return on their senior players.

“I have been confused with what North Melbourne is doing,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I know that they’re looking to rebuild, but if you’re going to rebuild, you need to look at trading some of your more established players out for players who will attract interest from other clubs and take a risk.

“They’ve delisted half a dozen guys, and yes some of those players like Gibson could still play at this level next year, potentially Hansen as well, and Aaron Mullett is another one. They’ve got no return on those guys. They’ve got salary cap space but they haven’t got anything done in a trade.

“If you’re going to rebuild, you need to let something go and take a calculated risk. You may be criticized publicly for it in the first 12 months because that player could be performing well at an opposition club, but you have to look at the bigger picture.

“You can’t rebuild by delisting players. All you’re going to do is allow the cycle of one pick in each round to dictate your draft and that’s not good enough.”

Todd Goldstein’s name has been mentioned in the rumour mill constantly, but it’s believed the 2015 All-Australian has attracted minimal interest from rival clubs. One of the elements working against the Roos’ favour with the 29-year-old is his financial situation.

“I think Goldstein is an obvious one, but he is a highly paid player, which then puts a bit of an anchor around a trade,” Pelchen said.

“They should be offering to pay a substantial amount of Todd Goldstein’s money to try and get some value back in a trade sense.”

How did that work out for Melbourne? For Carlton?

The reality is that Scott/Club went for a long-shot flag and in doing so, got to a point most of the senior players have little to no value or letting them go would hurt the development of the team. They all talk about Goldstein because they know Preuss has the quality to take over the role and we probably wont be killed in the ruck. Goldy's pay isn't an issue at all, we could theoretically pay his entire contract providing him salary free for 2 years. The problem is he is contracted, he has to agree to leave. You don't want to destroy the culture of the club to try and fast track a rebuild maybe one year prematurely, you put more at risk than you potentially gain.

Hawks got nothing for pushing Mitchell and Lewis off a cliff, nothing that is going to hasten their rebuild, it put an immense amount of pressure on O'Meara and Mitchell 2.0, so what was gained? List space for 5th round picks? Woo hoo!

This is a nothing article and Pelican offers nothing in terms of an alternative that is either realistic or would provide us with an advantage, he only knows one way, get rid of players until you become noncompetitive and then have the club tell you to take a hike.

He hasn't taken into consideration the type of players we have recruited over the last 4-5 years, the setbacks many of them have had with long-term injuries or what exactly the clubs needs. The reality is we are unlikely going to get what we need in this draft by putting anyone one on the chopping block, we aren't going to get an early first round pick, nobody has that value.

Goldy has a contract, we can't put a gun to his head and tell him to go. We can say Preuss is our priority and he may have to play a lot more in the VFL in the next two years, but if he doesn't want to move it is more likely because he has kids and it can be complicated with kids, especially if you aren't on good terms with the mother. Moving interstate might compromise his access to his own kids, depending on his relationship. We don't know the details, I doubt he knows the details either.

Given the route we have gone, it would seem pretty obvious that our club would like to have access to more/better picks, we just don't have the currency.

We have chatting up stunners all night but they have managed to get away from us.

Then we turn our sights to the less appealing types just so we don't go home alone but are spurned as well.

Swallow for a 4th rounder is the equivalent of crying into a Kebab on Sydney Road contemplating what happened.
Thanks Uncle.

I won't be seeing you at Xmas.

I'd argue otherwise.

Swallow for a 4th rounder is us scoring while waiting at the taxi rank after writing the night off.

I'd argue otherwise.

Swallow for a 4th rounder is us scoring while waiting at the taxi rank after writing the night off.

Getting anything decent for Goldstein would be like turning up to rehab at the footy club the next morning and scoring with the masseuse.

Oh.. hang on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back