List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We watch our team every week, they don't, simple as that.

True, but they should. How hard is it to watch 9 games of football a week if your job is to analyse football?

On a 360 episode this year, Robbo was commenting on a team and said to Gerard "I actually watched that game". Like it was stretch to watch all games as Chief Footballer writer for the state's largest daily newspaper and co-host of a daily football show during season. FFS, he should watch each game and a replay of each game at a minimum to do justice to those roles.

Unfortunately, the football media industry contains far more than its fair share of lazy, ignorant slobs who are there due to boys club connections. Lots of them get hours of airtime on SEN (based on what I read here, I never listen to it myself).

Cornes: “It’s going to be a world of pain for North Melbourne”

The Kangaroos saw the likes of Brent Harvey, Michael Firrito, Nick Dal Santo, Daniel Wells and Drew Petrie leave last year and have already parted ways with Sam Gibson and Aaron Mullett this off-season.

Additionally, the futures of Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow and Lindsay Thomas are in question which suggests to Cornes that there are some tough times ahead at Arden Street.

“We’re presuming they (Goldstein, Swallow & Thomas) are going to struggle to make the best 22 and be overlooked for younger players at North Melbourne,” he said on NAB AFL Trade Radio this morning.

“That’s what it sounds like.

“All three already in their careers (have been dropped). It could be a long year for them.

“The only reason they are at the footy club is because they’re contracted.

“It’s going to be a world of pain for North Melbourne next year, unfortunately.

“They’ll be worse than this year.

“The issue for me, it’s not as if they are the Brisbane Lions who have got these draft picks. Brisbane have pick 1 and all these picks inside the first round – North Melbourne don’t.

“They’ve got one pick – pick 4 – you’d want to hope that’s a good player and they’ve got some salary cap room to attract a free agent next year.

“North Melbourne fans, I’m concerned. I think it’s going to an ugly couple of years.”

200.gif

That it is going to be an ugly few years. Organic growth and improvement from a list happens quite a lot. What could we have done, even two years ago, besides selling Goldy, as we wouldn't have got any decent picks anyway for the older veterans. It's a simple case of rebuilding.
Exactly. Unfortunately, for all 3, their form has really tailed off late in their career. Swallow due to injury, Goldie due to infidelity and Lindsay who knows. So they have zero trade currency. Swallow was terrible for half a year and decent for half a year. The other two were poor all year. All three got dropped. They won't be big losses going into next season. The fact that we were competitive this year wasn't down to them. As for the draft picks comparison with Brisbane not sure what his point is there. They are perennial cellar dwellers and consequently have had a lot of high draft picks. They got a compo pick because Rockliff left as a free agent and Pearce Hanley got traded last year. They've got lots of picks because 2 of their best players left. I don't see that as blueprint for success.

what exactly has he said that is incorrect?

Also he's acting like saying goodbye to swallow, Thomas, Goldy, and by extension Gibson and Hansen is going to see us go backwards when none other than Gibson (though it's debateable) and Goldy (also debateable given form) are even in our best 22.

We probably would have won some of those early games last year without swallow and Thomas stinking it up.

North will improve next year barring injuries, guaranteed.

It's just some of those teams around us will improve more given they are further into their rebuild.

Also he's acting like saying goodbye to swallow, Thomas, Goldy, and by extension Gibson and Hansen is going to see us go backwards when none other than Gibson (though it's debateable) and Goldy (also debateable given form) are even in our best 22.

We probably would have won some of those early games last year without swallow and Thomas stinking it up.

North will improve next year barring injuries, guaranteed.

It's just some of those teams around us will improve more given they are further into their rebuild.
Exactly. All fringe players except Gibbo. Mullett played most of the year really only due to the injuries to Hibber, EVW, Williams and Wright

The point that Kingy conveniently misses is that of the "stacks" leaving the club, none has done so voluntarily. They're only leaving because they've been told they can't stay. It's a world of difference from clubs where players are scrambling to get out of the door (Brisbane, GC, Freo, even Adelaide).

The players are leaving as a result of a conscious decision by the club, so it's superficial analysis by Kingy (as usual) to suggest it is a worry to the club. As a supporter (yeah, right), he can worry that the decisions aren't correct (like he did last year), but it's not logical to worry that what is happening is beyond the club's control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TD is correct. There is only one DangerWank™.

BTW this is the same bunch of media d*ckheads that were throwing around the tanking word this year that are now telling us we're going to be sh*t. Well which is it guys? Are we not good enough or are we faking? Make up your minds.

what exactly has he said that is incorrect?

"North Melbourne fans, I’m concerned. I think it’s going to an ugly couple of years."

As a North Melbourne fan, I am not concerned at all, it is going to be an ugly couple of years, but we had a shot missed and now we have to reload.

Getting a bit tired of the s***s and giggles from the media being a non destination club, hypothetically speaking.... but, IF we had of landed Dusty, then I dare say Kelly may have chosen us too, different story. The fact that we have been losing some of our more mature players is not an indictment on the club, but more... planning for the future.

It only takes one sheep of a media personality to say we are not a destination club and the rest of the sheep follow, unfortunately thats the mindset of the media bandwagon at the moment. I get that the media has a job to do but please. Personally I see a lot of upside to this rebuild. We have a lot of good young talent already with plenty of skills to get the job done, just need more games in them.

"North Melbourne fans, I’m concerned. I think it’s going to an ugly couple of years."

As a North Melbourne fan, I am not concerned at all, it is going to be an ugly couple of years, but we had a shot missed and now we have to reload.

Perspective. :thumbsu:

One of the many desirable attributes of a football analysts, which most of the paid ones lack.

I actually don’t think that it’s as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
You look at our best side and we’ll be competitive against most.
Our main issue is injuries and not having our best players on the park.
We need to fix this issue and improve our assistant coaches as this is just as important.
All I know is that we don’t stay down for long and wouldn’t be surprised at all if we were to make finals in 2018 at the expense of a good draft pick next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a poster that only sporadically posts in here now, i've got to say, I look forward to our young blokes being premiership players within the next few years and the rest of the media personalities with egg on their faces, and others ie Kingy and Barrett jumping back on the bandwagon.

All we need to do is have patience. Have faith in the club that they know what they're doing.

I actually don’t think that it’s as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
You look at our best side and we’ll be competitive against most.
Our main issue is injuries and not having our best players on the park.
We need to fix this issue and improve our assistant coaches as this is just as important.
All I know is that we don’t stay down for long and wouldn’t be surprised at all if we were to make finals in 2018 at the expense of a good draft pick next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apart from cunners and Higgins, I think the best football came from our younger guys.
They also have the most scope / potential for improvement.
Sure some will stagnate and some may even go backwards - but the majority should improve.

I haven’t seen the best football go out the door in the last few months.

The only players I would expect reduced output from due to age is Waite, Thompson and maybe Higgins.

We won 5 matches at 87% percentage. That’s not a disastrous year.

I’d expect improved football from EVW, Simpkin, Clarke, Wood, Durdin, McDonald, Dumont, Garner, Hibberd, Turner.

I’d expect the same from Cunners, Ziebell (maybe better if injury free), Atley, Williams.

Anything from Ahern is a bonus. Brown might not reach heights of 2017 but still will be a good forward.

Everyone else (zurhaar, mountford etc is skeptical - ie could go either way)

Point is - I think we’ll have more players playing better in 2018 than in 2017 compared to players playing worse in 2018 than in 2017.

I feel like the people putting us in our grave in 2018 don’t really know much about the list. We’ll still be bottom 4-6, but players as individuals will be better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back