List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“You can’t rebuild by delisting players”… Take a risk North, says Pelchen

Former St Kilda and Hawthorn list manager Chris Pelchen has urged North Melbourne to accelerate their aggressive rebuild by looking to take more risks at the trade table.

After delisting a slew of veterans, including AFL games record holder Brent Harvey last season, the Kangaroos have continued that trend in 2017. The likes of Sam Gibson and Lachlan Hansen have been moved on, while Andrew Swallow and Lindsey Thomas seem likely to depart the club.

Despite the big name cuts, Pelchen isn’t sold on North’s rebuilding plan, thinking they need to start getting a return on their senior players.

“I have been confused with what North Melbourne is doing,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I know that they’re looking to rebuild, but if you’re going to rebuild, you need to look at trading some of your more established players out for players who will attract interest from other clubs and take a risk.

“They’ve delisted half a dozen guys, and yes some of those players like Gibson could still play at this level next year, potentially Hansen as well, and Aaron Mullett is another one. They’ve got no return on those guys. They’ve got salary cap space but they haven’t got anything done in a trade.

“If you’re going to rebuild, you need to let something go and take a calculated risk. You may be criticized publicly for it in the first 12 months because that player could be performing well at an opposition club, but you have to look at the bigger picture.

“You can’t rebuild by delisting players. All you’re going to do is allow the cycle of one pick in each round to dictate your draft and that’s not good enough.”

Todd Goldstein’s name has been mentioned in the rumour mill constantly, but it’s believed the 2015 All-Australian has attracted minimal interest from rival clubs. One of the elements working against the Roos’ favour with the 29-year-old is his financial situation.

“I think Goldstein is an obvious one, but he is a highly paid player, which then puts a bit of an anchor around a trade,” Pelchen said.

“They should be offering to pay a substantial amount of Todd Goldstein’s money to try and get some value back in a trade sense.”

I think he is saying that we should do what he did at St.Kilda, getting rid of Goddard, Dal Santo and McEvoy for trade picks. But I think the jury is still out on whether that was in fact successful. St.Kilda disappointed this year and maybe their rebuild wasn't so successful after all. I also note that, like so many others, he doesn't actually name any players that opposition clubs would have given us high draft picks for

Carlton done alright out of that deal.

Dont think Gibbs is good enough to put Adelaide anymore in the premiership contention with him in the side though. Great player though.

Carlton done alright out of that deal.

Dont think Gibbs is good enough to put Adelaide anymore in the premiership contention with him in the side though. Great player though.

Would've been handy for them late last month. Given what they paid for him this time, they should have made it happen last year.

Anyway, I'm tipping an all-SA grand final next year. Then we'll be up there challenging the following year.

Yes it's two first rounders but one of them is a fairly late one in a shallow draft. Gibbs is more valuable to a contending Adelaide now than picks 10 and 16 in a shallow draft. Look at Adelaides list and you can see they've actually got a reasonable young on ball brigade coming through. They'd be after key position players, which is next years draft anyway

Would've been handy for them late last month. Given what they paid for him this time, they should have made it happen last year.

Anyway, I'm tipping an all-SA grand final next year. Then we'll be up there challenging the following year.
True.

Glad it didnt get done last year too...as Carlton getting those picks in last years draft would of sucked.

I dont see the rise that people may predict with Port. Finals yes but still dont think the side will be strong enough for premiership playoff in the last week.

Then again....if Richmond can win one....anyone can. I really need to make a poster of that and put it on a wall.

Crows are so dumb. Gibbs is not worth 1 1st let alone 2 and one of them them being 10.

Gibbs has played 11 seasons and has done very little other than being the number 1 pick in 2006. How many AA's has he won? Has he even made an AA squad? 2 1st? really?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows are so dumb. Gibbs is not worth 1 1st let alone 2 and one of them them being 10.

Gibbs has played 11 seasons and has done very little other than being the number 1 pick in 2006. How many AA's has he won? Has he even made an AA squad? 2 1st? really?

He's had an excellent career and is still an excellent player. Gives them that little bit of extra class in the midfield to compliment the grunt of Sloane and the Crouch brothers.

Carlton will have 20 (TWENTY) first round picks on the list if they get two picks back for Gibbs (subtracting him from the equation). TWENTY. That's astounding.
Off the top of my head I could count 11 for us as of next year (including pick 4)

Not much we can do about it in the short term though

Carlton will have 20 (TWENTY) first round picks on the list if they get two picks back for Gibbs (subtracting him from the equation). TWENTY. That's astounding.
That's precisely why trading good or very good players for unproven ones is not a sound recruiting strategy and thankfully one that our club has mostly avoided in recent years.

Any best 22 player still under 28yo should never be suggested in any trade unless it's to bring in another player who will walk into our best 22.

Trading a best 22 player who wants to stay at North for even a 5-10 range pick is nonsensical because they may not make it.

He would be the 2nd or 3rd best player at our club. Dumb post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I mean just wow. Fancy that "Crows list manager Justin Reid has arrived at AFL Headquarters".

Can the world get any more exciting than some bloke arriving at AFL Headquarters?

Justin Reid has left AFL House and no deal has been done. (SEN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back